Samsung MHL to HDMI Adapter not working??

Search This thread

ian99rt

May 30, 2013
3FHUBE adapter brought directly from Samsung not working

I have a Verizon SCH-1535 running a rooted stock ROM. I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the HDMI connection to work to no avail.

Full part # from Samsung: KCC-REM-SEC-EPL-3FHUBE (printed on part) (bought directly through samsung's website as EPL-3FHUBEGSTA) which is the same part # (KCC-REM-SEC-EPL-3FHUBE) as the questionable Amazon sourced adapter i also have.

Using the original 1A charger plugged into MHL adapter, HDMI into monitor, and finally adapter plugged into phone.

Phone connection simply charges, does not notify of hdmi connection or display.

I went so far as to get a hold of Samsung tech support, they had me pull battery & restart, wipe cache and restart, then full factory reset. No change what so ever using either of my adapters.

Further I connected my coworker's Sprint S3 with the same result.

Questioning if i had a 5 pin adapter i plugged in another coworker's S2: which did not charge, respond, and the connector did not fully engage.

Is there anything i'm missing here? I'm using the original samsung 1 amp charger, original samung MHL adapter (believed to be 11-pin per Samsung's product page)

Lear95

Jul 26, 2012
Happened to me once.. Almost threw the cable away.. You need a second adapter. From that cable to the phone.
Try searching for one on ebay.. Cost me about 4-5$.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

ian99rt

May 30, 2013
Happened to me once.. Almost threw the cable away.. You need a second adapter. From that cable to the phone.
Try searching for one on ebay.. Cost me about 4-5$.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

isn't that the older 5 pin mhl adapter that requires the 5 to 11 pin adapter? I purchased this unit because it's suppose to be an 11 pin already.

what part number is on your adapter?

sabesh

Dec 15, 2004
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Last edited:

pblocal

Jun 28, 2010
so I just got my SECOND 11pin MHL adapter. First one never worked once. Not once.

I live in Brazil so I cannot just send it back for another one.

Had a friend coming down so I had him purchase another. Got it yesterday.

Took it out of the box (Samsung originals both) plugged into hdmi cable, plugged into phone and then plugged in charger.

Came on and worked perfectly. PERFECTLY! when you rotate the screen the entire image fills up the entire 55" TV with nothing missing. Filled it up perfectly.

The S4 is 1080p and this proved it. Photos and videos from phone and from you tube were perfect. I have it plugged in through my surround sound and it also was perfect. I was so happy.

then I left the house (after disconnecting everything) and came back and tried to use it again.

NOTHING - DEAD - JUST LIKE THE FIRST ONE.

will not come on anymore, so it is not like some setting is off, it did work, one time, now it just wont work anymore.

both of em are POS! to say I am pissed would be mild....

what can be done?

Reactions: Phateless

cdf3

Mar 15, 2011
Couldn't get mine to work at first.
Thought it was the HDMI cable.
So I tried the HDMI cable on another electronic device, and it was working.
I checked to make sure I had the 11 pin adapter attached, as well as providing power to the adapter. Still no signal.
While wiggling the cable I noticed that it displayed a signal for a brief second.
I then noticed that I wasn't getting a good connection where the adapter plugged into my phone.
I then decided to take the bumper case off my phone, and everything began to work as it should.
The case I had on my phone was keeping the adapter from getting a solid connection. So from now on, when if I need to use the adapter, I'll just remember to take the bumper case off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: lazy_ursache

mortuus82

Apr 22, 2010
Malmo
I get video but no audio, what can the problem be? im using a 11pin adapter, i plugged in the micro usb from the phone so it gets power, and the other cable to phone and tv HDMI, restarted phone several times and tryied on 2 different TV same result, video but no audio no matter what... and it says its work on galaxy s3/s4/note etc... it was bought from china though 8$ only but it should work right?

http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-11-pin-to...sung-galaxy-siii-i9300-black-red-200cm-188331

I thought any adapter being 11pin should work.....

Last edited:

pblocal

Jun 28, 2010
so I got one of them to work. I took off the case and plugged it in, nothing. I am talking about the HDMI plug from the MHL adapter to the phone.
I then proceeded to push harder (not too hard, you do not want to break anything) and moved it around slightly from side to side. Ever so gently (you do not want to break anything) and then after a few seconds, it came on.

I unplugged it, did it again, nothing. second time took me a few more seconds but it came on again.

I did it a third time and it worked again.

So, I think it has to do with the HDMI connection from the MHL adapter to the phone or more than likely the hdmi/power adapter connector built into the phone because, a) with wiggling it worked and b)on my S3, they both work without fail.

So, more thoughts are there is an issue with the hdmi/power plug on the phones and if the MHL adaptors and not connected perfectly, you get nothing.

btw - these are Samsung originals, not aftermarket ones....

One adapter I could not get to work at all, the other was working.

The funny thing is, they both work, without issue on the S3 but when plugging into the S4, nope, had to do the wiggle trick....

here is a shot I took, the ever ending tunnel!!!!

Attachments

• 20130701_113548.jpg
    20130701_113548.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
I would stick to branded samsung adaptors.

I got a unbranded adaptor and just tried it, no go, nothing on my hdmi monitor. I assumed I need to turn something on but apparently its plug and play? googling the issue has scores of hits of problems with unbranded adaptors.

Ordered now the expensive samsung branded one and I expect it to arrive in 2-3 days. Will post back if that fixes my problem (as I guess the hdmi cable could be naff). Bit annoyed it also charges my phone as was in middle of testing my idle battery drain.

chrcol

Jan 17, 2012
UK
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8 Pro
same with official samsung adaptor, I already tested the hdmi cable on something else and it works.

So if this is not related to settings, I guess I have a software issue on phone? kernel/rom?

I will post on neatrom thread.

mrjeancw

Jan 21, 2009
Boston, MA
so can anybody tell me why the heck my EPL-3FHUBEGSTA adapter works for my sprint rooted s3 and note 2 however does not work for my unrooted tmobile s3???? it charges the tmobile s3 but doesnt show the image on the screen.

i have plugged in the cable to my tmobile s3 (with the power on it) and it charges teh s3, however i could directly unplugg and plug into any of my sprint devices and they pick up the hdmi connection immediately. any idea?

is it a software or hardware issue? is it due to the fact that the sprint phones are rooted?

mrjeancw

Jan 21, 2009
Boston, MA
So if i buy a cheap one from china like this one, probably won't work? This one actually claimed to be for S4 in the description.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung...s_Chargers&hash=item565a404aca#ht_3601wt_1106

The samsung cable is useful for the fact also that your battery wont drain while watching movie on big screen

depends on the adapter. the official samsung ones that i bought (which are from china, however everythign is made in china so im just really cutting out the middle man ie. best buy etc etc), need to be powered to work (unless u buy the s4 adapter for the s4 phone then you dont need it to be powered). the important thing here is that need to have an 11 pin adapter. the samsung adapters are already 11 pin so you dont need a 5 to11 pin tip.

the ebay tip you linked is just the tip portion to convert to 11pin in case you have an old adapter for like an S2 or somethign that uses a 5pin plug and will not work with the newer s3's or notes 2's or s4's due to them needed the 11 pin.

however, something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MHL-HDMI-HDTV-Adapter-Cable-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-SIV-i9500-i9505-S3-Note-2-/310755536900?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item485a793004 or like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Samsung-HDMI-MHL-HDTV-EPL-3FHUBEGSTA-Adapter-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-S4-Note-2-/350854943353?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item51b0959279 are already 11pin and all they need is the micro usb to power them (unless ur using the s4).

Last edited:

mrjeancw

Jan 21, 2009
Boston, MA
can anybody point me to the mhl to hdmi adapter that will work (not too expensive ) with my s3 model # sgh-t999 (t-mobile).
im looking at these but not sure which one will work.
Also do you know if i need the 5 pin to 11 pin adater for s3???

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Adapt...e=UTF8&qid=1380918496&sr=8-1&keywords=s3+hdmi

http://www.amazon.com/Aftermarket-P...e=UTF8&qid=1380918496&sr=8-2&keywords=s3+hdmi

when you do find out let me know.
i have both EPL-3FHUBE and and teh white s4 variant and neither work...however both work on my sprint s3...dont know if tmobile is just different.

originalscreenname

Dec 11, 2013
Having problems with this myself.

Bought the correct (3FHUBEGSTD) adaptor from eBay and could not get it to work. Contacted the company and they replaced it without fuss and offered to test the one they sent back. They have been communicative and helpful on the matter so I have no reason to doubt they have done so.

However, the replacement does not work either. I have tried two power sources (well 3 if you count plugging into my PC as well) both with 1A output. I know the HDMI is OK as it works with a DVD player.

Completely stumped on this.

edit: Tried on both a Panasonic and Sony TV.

Last edited:

Kodoque333

Jan 17, 2014
Having problems with this myself.

Bought the correct (3FHUBEGSTD) adaptor from eBay and could not get it to work. Contacted the company and they replaced it without fuss and offered to test the one they sent back. They have been communicative and helpful on the matter so I have no reason to doubt they have done so.

However, the replacement does not work either. I have tried two power sources (well 3 if you count plugging into my PC as well) both with 1A output. I know the HDMI is OK as it works with a DVD player.

Completely stumped on this.

edit: Tried on both a Panasonic and Sony TV.

I've had an issue like this, bought the Samsung mhl adaptor (official) for my note 3, it arrived and I was delighted it worked perfectly! Then after a few days I needed to use it and when I plugged it in it just didn't work, I was left perplexed... I couldn't understand how it could just work 1 minute and stop working the next! I was very gentle plugging it in every time.

I assumed maybe the adaptor was broken, so fine I went online and bought a second 11 pin adaptor, this time a cheaper camac version from amazon... assuming it was poor samsung build quality, however when I tried this alternative one it didn't work either, now I'm left with a phone that can't connect to a TV via hdmi, it leads me to wonder if the port on the phone is faulty?

Also I tried it on multiple TVs, Samsung, Sony, Phillips and an LG but none worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That’s really frustrating!! I guess I figured it out and it doesn’t look nice from Samsung.

I found this accessory online which is yet to be released and compatible with the S3:

Part No: EPL-3FHUBEGSTD (sorry I cant post links as im a new user and the system wont allow me, u will be able to find that part in MobileFun site )

The same older model won’t work !! it’s the same device though with an older version. Here is the old model part no. which is available in market now:

Part No: EIA1UHUNBECSTD (u can search it in the same site “MobileFun”)

So if you have your old HDTV Adapter, I guess you can’t use it with the S3. That’s BAD Samsung, really BAD :mad:

Anyway, if any 1 can figure a way to make the older model work with the S3 please post it here, as im not eager to buy a second HDTV Adapter :(:mad::(
    mhl cable

just got off phone with sammy, they told me that the s3 has more pins in its connector and that a new cable is in production, this is to give it a better screen quality, because i dont know if you noticed but the last cable on the s2 was shocking, kept flickering and what not, anyhow this new cable has better charging abilities and crisper screen, there is no known date for the official release as yet as i was told. but sammy said either purchase the allshare dongle in the mean time (yeah right) or get an unofficial cable if available at your own risk. :eek:
    Anyone know the difference between EPL-3FHUBEGSTD vs EPL-3FHUBEGSTA vs EPL-3FHUBE?
    I'm guessing it's the regions code.
    I currently have the EPL-3FHUBE and I am experiencing alot of screen flickers when watching hd movies.

From my own notes:

* EPL-3FHUBEGSTA is the 11-pin cable.
    * ETC-EIA2BEGSTA is the 5-pin cable with the 11-pin adapter tip.
    * EPL-FU10BEBSTD is the 11-pin adapter tip.

I'm not sure what the diff is between GSTA and GSTD. Only big diff I see on Samsung's site is the write up saying one is universal 11pin and one is for the S3.

EPL-3FHUBE is probably the base details.
    Some info that might help someone using these awful adapters, yes even the official ones.

Got hold of an official S4 HDTV adapter to replace my official S3 adapter (which failed, overheated and I don't trust). Put my phone into airplane mode to avoid interference and connected up... Worked for about 3 seconds and then it refused to work despite cycling the power and plugging/unplugging connections in different orders.

Fix was to connect everything up, power up the adapter and put the TV onto the correct HDMI channel, then turn TV off and back on. Finally the adapter and TV did the correct handshake and it works.

My TV is 8 years old now and only accepts 720p or 1080i so perhaps the adapter can be confused and wanted to output an unsupported signal.