[Q] Galaxy S2 MHL cable subtitles problem

Search This thread

oneill366

Apr 6, 2011
Inowrocław
Hello there XDA users!
I have a problem with viewing subtitles for movies via my MHL cable (oryginal) on TV screen.
Stock movie player shows them (.srt) but it doesn't make subtitles dissapear when the dialogue finishes (it just leave them on when nobody is talking till the next dialogue). Other movie players from market (like mVideoPlayer or QQplayer) doesn't show subtitles on TV screen at all (just on the phone screen).
I would be very thankful of Your advice.

Cheers.

Alchemius

Jul 16, 2011
You are not alone in this, but apparently there are very few people (or devices ;-) ) with this particular problem. I myself have this as well. I can't imagine why this is such an "exclusive" bug. The only player from the market (that I have tried) that displays subtitles over MHL is Rock Player Lite, and only if you select software decoding mode, but then you will also have a mildly annoying logo on the upper left corner of the screen... plus it crashes a lot in my case, no idea if it'll crash to you too.

May I ask what your firmware is? Mine is 2.3.3 (XWKF3).

oneill366

Apr 6, 2011
Inowrocław
Thanks for Your reply.
I have Lite'ning Rom v6.1 XXKH3 and speedmod kernel K1-T30.
I didn't try Rock Player Lite as I was aware of that annoying logo. I would be very happy if I only had fix for stock player (as I consider "not disappearing" subtitles to be easier to manage, but I'm not sure).

Alchemius

Jul 16, 2011
Same here. Apparently, the MHL interface is designed to send the video feed directly, without any interface "overlay" (in this case subtitles). No "mirroring" effect, like when in the Galaxy menus etc. Rock Player achieves that only when using software mode. In hardware mode you will get no subtitles (and no logo :D). After having used mVideo Player, I searched their forums, and it was mentioned that Samsung has modified their stock player to take care of that.

As I have mentioned in another post, I have tried .srt & .sub files, as well as both ANSI & Unicode encoding for the charsets (english-only and non-english). I even changed the phone language to english, hopping that it would be something this trivial. As you can imagine, the subtitles are never removed from screen and change only when a new line is to be displayed. I can't imagine that all my subtitles are defective or that there is noone else with this kind of problem.

Come on people :eek: ! What are we doing differently? I want to belong to the rest of you fine problem-free movie-watching GalaxySII-owners :( ...

PS: BTW, I have this problem even when viewing on the phone's screen, not just via MHL. How about you? Also, how do you transfer files on the phone?

oneill366

Apr 6, 2011
Inowrocław
Yes, as I posted I also have problem with not removing subtiltes till the next line on the phone screen using stock player. Thats the main problem, because i will survive with no mVideoPlayer support for MHL cable if I will be able to watch movies with properly working subtitles using stock player.
Still mVideoPlayer support would be AWESOME!

anthropoidape

Sep 12, 2011
I too have noticed the problem of subtitles appearing, but not disappearing until the next subtitle appears, with the stock media player.

Am I reading the comment from Alchemius above correctly, to say that this is only a problem for some of the Galaxy S2s?

I just assumed it was a bug that needs to be sorted out in the software for all the SGS2 units out there.

Alchemius

Jul 16, 2011
Actually, this is what I am trying to figure out myself. I have asked this question in other topics as well, but apart from a couple of owners (only 2 so far !!! 3 if I include you), I get no response. Most of the SGS2 users probably use another media player (e.g. mVideoPlayer) that has no such problem, and won't notice it.

It would be pretty weird to assume that this is a problem for only a few handsets, but then again, apart from us three, nobody else is complaining. I know that the MHL API from Samsung is indeed modified, in order to send the subtitles via MHL, and I would imagine it being responsible. But as I said, noone else is complaining. And that's what worries me... :(

rene0907

Sep 20, 2011
I´ve got this problem. I´m facing some crashes when some video is playing too. I think this issues is all about softwares... Maybe I´ll try to change the firmware...
My fw now is UHKE2

eranyanay

Aug 26, 2008
Im facing the same issues as mentioned here.
Thats sad as most of my movies I tried to move to watch them with the device on a big screen are DTS...
So DicePlayer works great..on the phone, on the screen its another thing.
BsPlayer, Vplayer and any others are slow.
mvideoplayer = no sound
What we've got left? isnt there any kind of mod or change to make the default player support it?
I dont buying an app for a few bucks. I tried Dice and it wasnt well.
I just want it to work..

And the built-in player isnt that great either, as the encoding isnt right. Im using hebrew subtitles and it shows only some signs.

eranyanay

Aug 26, 2008
After many attempts and tries, I can write my results:
1080P is a waste of time, as..only DicePlayer plays it excellent, the others (mvideo, built-in) require DTS conversion.
Not to mention, the need to split it with MKV...
If you wish to show the movie with the MHL its a big problem as the subtitle isnt seen on the big screen, and only the built-in kindof working...but then you need to use an external subtitle which is a mess, becauase you just splitted the movie to two files...
Its an *huge* headache, and nothing seems to work...
If only dice player could show subtitles over MHL....
other players cant even show it smooth enough.
And also, you cant run backward-forward as the sound-video isnt synced if you do.
The easiest thing you'd think of doing is adding the subtitles on the video file itself, but it would take....hours over hours..

tjtj4444

Apr 11, 2011
1080P is a waste of time, as..only DicePlayer plays it excellent, the others (mvideo, built-in) require DTS conversion.
If you wish to show the movie with the MHL its a big problem as the subtitle isnt seen on the big screen, and only the built-in kindof working...but then you need to use an external subtitle which is a mess, becauase you just splitted the movie to two files...
And also, you cant run backward-forward as the sound-video isnt synced if you do.
The easiest thing you'd think of doing is adding the subtitles on the video file itself, but it would take....hours over hours..

There is an official discussion group for DicePlayer (linked from developer's page) here:
http://groups.google.com/group/diceplayer/topics
I suggest you start a discussion regarding subtitles over HDMI/MHL to make the developer aware of this.

Reactions: eranyanay

poofish

May 6, 2011
London
i've had this issue as well, but i've managed to find a pretty good substitute in Mobaplayer. it also has the option to view videos with software decode, and i don't believe it has any watermarks either. not buggy at all and hasn't crashed on me yet. also, the fonts are better than in stock player, since they use a different border color so the white text won't blend in with a white background.

eranyanay

Aug 26, 2008
i've had this issue as well, but i've managed to find a pretty good substitute in Mobaplayer. it also has the option to view videos with software decode, and i don't believe it has any watermarks either. not buggy at all and hasn't crashed on me yet. also, the fonts are better than in stock player, since they use a different border color so the white text won't blend in with a white background.

Well, while the stock player runs it smooth enough, MoboPlayer wont :\

flouris

Oct 7, 2011
You are not alone in this, but apparently there are very few people (or devices ;-) ) with this particular problem. I myself have this as well. I can't imagine why this is such an "exclusive" bug. The only player from the market (that I have tried) that displays subtitles over MHL is Rock Player Lite, and only if you select software decoding mode, but then you will also have a mildly annoying logo on the upper left corner of the screen... plus it crashes a lot in my case, no idea if it'll crash to you too.

May I ask what your firmware is? Mine is 2.3.3 (XWKF3).

Alchemius did you find any solution to this problem? And could you please tell me which app do you use to see movies with greek subtitles in srt format on your galaxy S2?

blue99_

Jan 18, 2010
Hi all,

after some tests I found out that the best player is MX player. It's very similar to mvideoplayer, but has the ability to process based on software. So the subtitle problems are solved. :)

Giluts

Oct 8, 2011
Hi all,

after some tests I found out that the best player is MX player. It's very similar to mvideoplayer, but has the ability to process based on software. So the subtitle problems are solved. :)

I've just tried it and the only way the subtitles will show at the TV is when you choose the software decoder. sadly, the movie is not running smoothly at all (i checked an HD 720p file).
so, still no perfect solution...

eranyanay

Aug 26, 2008
For me, I can play 720p with the built in player just fine. Its smooth enough and supports subs over mhl.
1080p is a real trouble maker as its not smooth on the builtin player.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

There is an official discussion group for DicePlayer (linked from developer's page) here:
    http://groups.google.com/group/diceplayer/topics
    I suggest you start a discussion regarding subtitles over HDMI/MHL to make the developer aware of this.
    I think I got it!

Guys, I've made it! :D
    After installing MX Video Player (with ARMv7 Codec), and BSPlayer Lite (with ARMv7+VFP Support) -both free in the Market-, I was able to see a movie (at least the first 10 minutes, I didn't went through the whole movie yet) WITH subs displayed on my old 40'' Sony Bravia LCD, AND without the "stuck" subs problem.

This is like a huge step for me, seriously :p

I went through all your fails, ups and downs myself, and finally made it.

And for achillesgk, I'm not sure what codification applies for greek subs, I could display "special" chars like "á", "é", "ñ" with no problems using ISO 8859-15 ALWAYS on BSPlayer Lite (with the ARMv7+VFP Support codec).

I will be more than happy to know that at least you can display your vids with subs after applying my "solution" (I don't think of it like an actul solution, but for me is a super cool workaround).

Please let me know (anyone who tries) how it goes!

Peace

[UPDATE]

Greek codification is ISO 8859-7, present on BSPLayer Lite options :D