New Android handheld gaming console

Search This thread

MOFO-Bro

Jan 29, 2012
Sort of. You copy update.zip on sdcard, turn off the device and hold all of the top 3 buttons(power home menu) until it says upgrading.
Wait for install to finish and wipe data cache and media from menu. Reboot and enjoy.

Note that reboot actually results in power off . You just turn it back on.

Enjoy.

Sent from my HD2 using XDA App

Do I have to extract files first? or do I use directly?
Thanks you have beeen a lot of help

candre23

Jul 20, 2010
Although at first sight there might be a hardware difference, I recommend you try bitrider's latest custom rom. Things might be better for you http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread.php?t=88100

It would appear that my device either does not have a user-accessible recovery mode, or it does not use the standard button combinations. I've tried holding menu, home and back (esc) in all the combinations I can think of when powering up the unit, but the only effect I could get was that once it booted into "safe mode", which I didn't even know android had.

Looks I'm stuck with what I have for now.

nemuro

Apr 2, 2010
Do I have to extract files first? or do I use directly?
Thanks you have beeen a lot of help

No. Update.zip must be in main directory of sdcard and not extracted. Aka root.

It would appear that my device either does not have a user-accessible recovery mode, or it does not use the standard button combinations. I've tried holding menu, home and back (esc) in all the combinations I can think of when powering up the unit, but the only effect I could get was that once it booted into "safe mode", which I didn't even know android had.

Looks I'm stuck with what I have for now.
Turn off then hold down the down directional pad + home top button. While holding those, hold also power button long enough for recovery to start.

Take note that if you don't have a valid update.zip in root of sdcard when you enter recovery mode, nothing happens.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: MOFO-Bro

nemuro

Apr 2, 2010
Okay, let's try it once more.

Yinlips+Key+Cfg+v1.jpg

Turn off the device. Blue led in the right turns off when you do that.

I managed to enter recovery in three ways:

*on the top there are three buttons from left to right:

#1 - Power (power icon), #2 - Home (home icon), #3 - Menu (letter M on it)

Method A. Hold [20] and from the top, the button #2. While holding those two, also start holding power (#1) until you see "upgrading".

Method B. Hold #2 and #3. While holding those two, also start holding power (#1) until you see "upgrading".

Method C. Hold #1 and #2 at the same time until you see "upgrading".

candre23

Jul 20, 2010
Methods A and C do nothing (normal boot). Method B boots into safe mode. Still no recovery mode from anything I've done.

MOFO-Bro

Jan 29, 2012
@nemuru
Does that rom work with other android devices (JXD S7100/JXD S601) or is for the Yinlips only?
Here's the thing I ordered the upgrade A10 version which they say supposedly has a faster 1.5Ghz CPU/GPU combo and I see the ROM boosts the older Yinlips CPU a bit (850mhz) now will this ROM limit the ugraded CPU to 850mhz?
Will it boost the upgrade Yinlips A10 CPU too or downgrade it to 850mhz?
I have downloaded the files now I'm just waiting to get my unit, hopefully all goes well.
I'm thinking of getting a JXD S601( it's cheap) as well wonder if the Yinlips and JXD share the same ROM? they seem to have identical emulators but I'm new to the scene and probably 100% wrong.

Last edited:

nemuro

Apr 2, 2010
@candre Can you show a picture of this safe mode? Never heard of something like that.

@mofo It shouldn't work on any other devices. The updated version has a different cpu. Also, jxd is a different manufacturer than yinlips.

P.s. it will most likely have a 1.1 ghz cpu as the rest of 0.4 is reserved for the gpu.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: MOFO-Bro

candre23

Jul 20, 2010
In safe mode, there is a small overlay on the lower left hand corner that says "SAFE MODE", much like with windows. Additionally, all non-system applications are disabled. They do not show up in the app tray. However, non-system apps that you have dragged to the home screen are present and will run if you tap them. I assume (though I have not tested) that any programs set to run on boot do not do so in safe mode.

nemuro

Apr 2, 2010
Seems this can happen to other devices as well.

Here's what a user managed to do to fix it:

figured out how to get around all those lock ups and bricks that plague the Ally! If you are stuck in a loop and can't get to a recovery screen this is what you do.

1. Take out the battery.

2. Take out the SD Card.

3. Hold down the Up/Down Volume, Home, and Power button for 10 seconds.

4. Leaving out the battery and SD Card still plug in the charger cable and turn it on normally by pressing the power button. It should cycle and viola! You are back in business!
http://androidforums.com/lg-ally/161928-ally-stuck-safe-mode.html

You can only remove the SD card, but see if it works.
You can try a factory reset from the privacy settings. Maybe after that you can get into boot loader.

P.S. Might also want tot try this: https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=android+can't+get++recovery+safe+mode

You shouldn't give up. Clearly there must be a button combination similar to those I described. Also make sure the buttons work (test in booted android) and that you are firm when pressing them. Being a new device you gotta press harder on them.

Last edited:

candre23

Jul 20, 2010
Holding various combinations of buttons while plugging in a USB cable to a computer does not work either. Yes, all the buttons work and I am sure I am engaging them fully. This is not my first dance :)

The only button that doesn't work on my unit is the recessed reset button on the bottom. Holding this button in for any amount of time does nothing. Should my G18 ever truly lock up, I will not be able to do anything but let the battery run down.

nemuro

Apr 2, 2010
I am sorry I couldn't help you out. Have you tried installing (after rooting) some kind of app that can allow you to choose reboot to recovery? It might not work so well because from what I have seen reboot acts as a shut down.

I would ask for my money back if I were you. Try specifying you have something of different specs and if you feel this way as well, I would go for the a10 updated version.

MOFO-Bro

Jan 29, 2012
Waiting for my A10 to come in, hopefully it's a worthy upgrade.
Not only with a better screen but a higher clocked CPU/GPU to have things run smoother.

Methanoid

Aug 10, 2005
Since the Yinlips looks like a PS Vita, is it sized exactly the same? Wondering about PSV cases on eBay for the Yinlips?

Also, if buying what should I make sure I get.. whats the latest/greatest version/model please?

Thanks

stooovie

Feb 17, 2012
Hey Nemuro, you've turned the brightness DOWN? I have a new Yinlips with 2.3.4 and the screen is so dark I can barely see indoors and the screen is literally invisible outdoors.

Of course I have turned Brightness all the way up in Settings but that does barely a thing. Is my unit faulty? Thanks!

naguz

Jan 30, 2009
Holding various combinations of buttons while plugging in a USB cable to a computer does not work either. Yes, all the buttons work and I am sure I am engaging them fully. This is not my first dance :)

The only button that doesn't work on my unit is the recessed reset button on the bottom. Holding this button in for any amount of time does nothing. Should my G18 ever truly lock up, I will not be able to do anything but let the battery run down.
The Amlogic chipset this is built on is virtually unbrickable - given the right button presses, it will load firmware recover files form SD card. Try putting the firmware update files on the device and hold power button for two whole minutes or until it has booted recovery (or fully into Android lockscreen). Then try the same, but press power + Volume up, and hold them the same time.

stooovie

Feb 17, 2012
What about the new updated Yinlips G18 with Android 2.3.4 and Allwinners A10 chip? How can we put that into recovery mode?

mikedragoon

Feb 27, 2012
I hope very much that someone can answer that question because I got the new updated yinlips g18 today and apparetly I bricked it. All it does now is the screen says yinlips and it sits there, I'm nearly heart broken I should have at least enjoyed the thing before I decided to tamper with it.

butch87402

Feb 8, 2010
hartford
I hope very much that someone can answer that question because I got the new updated yinlips g18 today and apparetly I bricked it. All it does now is the screen says yinlips and it sits there, I'm nearly heart broken I should have at least enjoyed the thing before I decided to tamper with it.

No recovery or nothing? Can't flash the stock image?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

Top Liked Posts