If your Having Problems Updating Look Here

Search This thread

Rangerbry

Oct 20, 2011
san jose
Sorry Mods if this is the wrong section was just 2 many threads with people having problems was easier then tryign to reply to them all.

Directions
After doing this Your Phone This Will BeFactory Reset

1) Download The backup i made here Sorry this has a Custom Boot animation rest is stock.
Extract it to a folder on your SDcard dont just copy it there.

Im going to Assume everyone at this point has ADB and Fastboot installed if not follow the instructions here then come back

2) Download TWRP recovery to your PC
Download Stock Recovery for later use.
Powerdown Phone
Press and hold (Power button + Camera Button) at the menu use volume down until you get to AP Fastboot Press Volume up to select it
Hook Phone to pc via usb cable
Open a command prompt from within your SDK/Platform-tools folder
install trwp
Code:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP_Recovery_Filename_you_downloaded.img
Unhook Phone from PC when Finished Flashing should only take 1 minute or less.

Hit power - device turns off. Hold vol up + power, then release power. When you see it turn on, release vol up. You should now be in TWRP!
Now first thing Press Backup and make a backup of your current setup to SDcard.

3) Now somehow move the Backup you downloaded and Extracted in step one to your TWRP backup folder on your SDcard
will be something like
Make a new folder for BACKUP_NAME dont overwrite the backup you made
Code:
TWRP/BACKUPS/SERIALNUM/RESTORE_MY_PHONE/files_here

4) Power off Phone
Reboot into Recovery (Power Button + Volume Up) Choose Restore button this time choose Restore and Choose the Recovery the you downloaded.
When done flashing your back up Choose reboot from the option choose Bootloader.

install Stock recovery
Code:
fastboot flash recovery Stock recovery.img
Unhook Phone from USB after Flashing and press Power Button and phone will reboot.

If all went as planned you will boot up to a factory reset phone thats ready to download and install the OTA with no problems
and sorry the backup has a Custom boot animation i forgot to remove

-Bryan

Thank you so much for your help!

Sorry Mods if this is the wrong section was just 2 many threads with people having problems was easier then tryign to reply to them all.

Directions

1) Download The backup i made here Sorry this has a Custom Boot animation rest is stock.

Im going to Assume everyone at this point has ADB and Fastboot installed if not follow the instructions here then come back

Powerdown Phone
Press and hold (Power button + Camera Button) at the menu use volume down until you get to AP Fastboot Press Volume up to select it
install trwp
Code:

Hit power - device turns off. Hold vol up + power, then release power. When you see it turn on, release vol up. You should now be in TWRP!

3) Now somehow move the Backup you downloaded and Extracted in step one to your TWRP backup folder on your SDcard
will be something like
Code:

4) Power off Phone
Reboot into Recovery (Power Button + Volume Up) Choose Restore button this time choose Restore and Choose the Recovery the you downloaded.
When done flashing your back up Choose reboot from the option choose Bootloader.

install Stock recovery
Code:
Unhook Phone from USB after Flashing and press Power Button and phone will reboot.

If all went as planned you will boot up to a factory reset phone thats ready to download and install the OTA with no problems

-Bryan

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
c2gemineyes

patrickm823

Dec 7, 2011
Georgia
No Dice

Directions

Powerdown Phone
install trwp
Code:

will be something like
Code:

4) Power off Phone

install Stock recovery
Code:

-Bryan

I got this to restore my phone to stock no problem. I followed this post to a T twice and upon updating my phone goes ape$hit every time.
So frustrated with Motorola right now.

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
I got this to restore my phone to stock no problem. I followed this post to a T twice and upon updating my phone goes ape$hit every time.
So frustrated with Motorola right now.

So... Don't update? I'm still on the original firmware, I don't see any benefit to updating.

UnicronAlpha99

Sep 24, 2010
Are you taking the update with any toggle mods, root (I.e. Superuser.apk installed), deodexed framework, battery 1% mods, power menu mod, custom boot logo, animation, etc? I never had problems taking the update with stock rom/recovery, unrooted, with no mods installed. I used this guide to restore stock when I was softbricked and bootlooping and the update worked after restoring stock recovery.

Sent from my XT897 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

tune345

Feb 23, 2013
screen comes like for a millisecond and then this " starting services" logo doesn't go at all...it just continues forever :(:(

any help would be appreciate .

kaot5

Feb 21, 2013

install Stock recovery
Code:

-Bryan

Hello everyone,

everything works fine until I tried to flash recovery stock. This errormassage is shown in my terminal:

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Dokumente\Apps\unsortiert\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery Stock recovery.img
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
error: cannot load 'Stock': No error

any ideas?

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Hello everyone,

everything works fine until I tried to flash recovery stock. This errormassage is shown in my terminal:

C:\Users\xxx\Desktop\Dokumente\Apps\unsortiert\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery Stock recovery.img
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
error: cannot load 'Stock': No error

any ideas?

Hm... I thought the line should be
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Obviously replace recovery.img with your filename.

btsbits

Apr 30, 2011

Directions

1) Download The backup i madeSorry this has a Custom Boot animation rest is stock.

Im going to Assume everyone at this point has ADB and Fastboot installed if not follow the instructions then come back

Thank you! Fixed soft brick after a bad system.img flash.
Still wont update. i get a dead android logo after about 30 seconds into the update, then reboots to "The software update failed!"

Last edited:

pradidiet

Oct 17, 2010
Nice share and will appy soon
I'm running on ics and wait for 4.3
I mean jelly bean ruin my battery life, so I very very hope photon q will get the ota update for 4.3

enigma9o7

Jun 26, 2014
San Jose
F(x)tec Pro1-X
this is a bit outdated now that we have working RSD Lite files follow the instructions here and use the supplied files for your carrier Sprint or cspire.
[05-08-2013] Photon Q FXZ

Hi. I'm trying to figure this out, but the link for stock recovery you posted is dead.

So I want to clarify what you wrote above... are you saying to follow the instructions here (first post in this thread) but use the recovery.img from one of the zip files in that other link (i.e. asanti_c_sprint-user-4.1.2-9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5-6-release-keys-cid9.xml.zip)?

Do I need to use "RSD Lite" for something? You didn't mention it in your instructions, but it's mentioned a lot in that other thread...

Rangerbry

Oct 20, 2011
san jose
Hi. I'm trying to figure this out, but the link for stock recovery you posted is dead.

So I want to clarify what you wrote above... are you saying to follow the instructions here (first post in this thread) but use the recovery.img from one of the zip files in that other link (i.e. asanti_c_sprint-user-4.1.2-9.8.2Q-122_XT897_FFW-5-6-release-keys-cid9.xml.zip)?

Do I need to use "RSD Lite" for something? You didn't mention it in your instructions, but it's mentioned a lot in that other thread...

You can use the RSD Lite file to return to stock the method in this thread was back before we had working RSD files

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Directions

Powerdown Phone
    install trwp
    Code:

will be something like
    Code:

4) Power off Phone

install Stock recovery
    Code:

-Bryan
    My filename is recovery.img. Is the storage limited? Previouse I had CWM now installed TWRP without deinstall, could this be a problem?

What is this, I don't even...

Please try with the command I provided.