Battery usage

Search This thread

ayush29k

Sep 30, 2011
Delhi
My friend just bought the Xperia M and he is not very happy with the battery life.
This is his battery stats, should the device be awake 24/7?
He is a very light user.

du4eze9a.jpg

yhabupy3.jpg

Is this supposed to be normal, his battery lasts around 1 day and 15 hours without recharging in between.
Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Antrikos48

Oct 18, 2013
Nicosia
No... This is not normal. As you can see from this screenshot
egy2yqab.jpg
the phone is awake only when the screen is on, with a couple of exceptions. You should use Greenify to find out what is keeping the phone awake

This message was brought to you from my Sony Xperia M C1905 using Tapatalk.

ayush29k

Sep 30, 2011
Delhi
Does he have stamina mode on?

Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
No, stamina mode is off, but he does not use mobile data, only wifi.
Although he does have low battery mode and location based wifi turned on.

egy2yqab.jpg
the phone is awake only when the screen is on, with a couple of exceptions. You should use Greenify to find out what is keeping the phone awake

Last i heard, Greenify was strictly for root users and the non-root functions were extremely limited, my friend is not willing to root the device yet.
Any way to find out what's keeping the device awake all the time?

How much total battery life do you get on one full charge?

Last edited:

Antrikos48

Oct 18, 2013
Nicosia
No, stamina mode is off, but he does not use mobile data, only wifi.
Although he does have low battery mode and location based wifi turned on.

Last i heard, Greenify was strictly for root users and the non-root functions were extremely limited, my friend is not willing to root the device yet.
Any way to find out what's keeping the device awake all the time?

How much total battery life do you get on one full charge?

He should install it anyway, just to find out what is keeping it awake. I can't really tell you as a use my phone a lot and so charge it every night.

iks8

Nov 18, 2012
Just instal wakelock detector and chceck what is waking up your phone, then simply uninstall this app... or just reboot phone - sometimes it helps. Stamina mode won't change anything, it only disable data traffic when screen is off.

Last edited:

Dr Goodvibes

Dec 8, 2011
The phone battery should last for many days with light use and as @Antrikos48 has shown, almost flat line when not in use.

This is an example of an XPERIA C1905 left for a day doing nothing which would mean more than 10 days battery life at that rate. (Installed applications and usage will be different for different people)

attachment.php

I use GSam Battery Monitor to check battery use.

Any process keeping the phone awake can be viewed from the main menu as follows:

App Usage -> View Time held Awake

But for your immediate problem Wakelock Detector-Save Battery as @iks8 has suggested is probably all you need.

If the person using the phone just uses a few applications and is aware of any problem applications(when fix is found), you could also uninstall the battery monitor applications when not needed as they use a VERY small amount of background resources/memory (the very thing you're attempting to eliminate) if they're not being used/viewed often.

Also for a few applications and light use on a non-rooted phone (now you're aware of diagnostic applications) I wouldn't be to concerned about installing battery/application management apps as in a small basic environment there's really not much to manage.

If you manage data/network use effectively yourself Stamina mode may not really provide any real benefits.

One last thing not always considered is if you are in a very poor mobile phone signal area and have 3G/HSDPA data enabled and/or even GSM the phone will use more battery in an attempt to get the best signal it can in the area it finds itself in.
The signal strength indicator ranges from green(best) to a yellow-grey(worst) colour depending on signal strength.

However, as the OP has show, this is not a problem in the location the phone is currently in as signal strength is green(very good).

Last edited:
Reactions: ayush29k

ayush29k

Sep 30, 2011
Delhi
une2y2a9.jpg

Greenify's effect on deep sleep seems instantaneous, the device is not awake all the time but its still not as good as its supposed to be.
Also greenify is not showing up several apps, mostly the system apps and preinstalled ones, probably because the device is not rooted, is there anyway to take care of them without root?

apyme7ys.jpg

Wakelock detector shows now mostly system processes and preinstalled apps causing the problem.

by8ebaza.jpg

qubybuba.jpg

upu8e3yb.jpg

GSam shows screen and google services taking up the most.

e2u6y4a6.jpg

I'v had him disable all the packages except for the google services framework.
Plus he has now turned off the location based wifi option just to ensure the phone doesn't takes up any juice while searching for wifi networks during night when the network is itself turned off.

Can you suggest anything else i can do about this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Goodvibes

Dr Goodvibes

Dec 8, 2011
In GSam Battery Monitor, there are additional options that displays the number of times a process wakes the phone up and the percentage battery/resources that processes uses while awake.

This can be found my selecting the options available from the menu at the top of the screen from within the "App Usage" display.

A process may wake the system tens of times(not always a good thing in itself), but there could be a proccess(s) that only wakes the system a couple of times but continue to use resources over a longer period of time.

I have seen the likes of Offficesuite Pro wake only once, but then never ends when attempting to index files in GingerBread 2.3

The processes you have shown would seem about right for JB 4.1.2 as there's not much you can do about Google Services, Kernel or Android OS.

In the old days, having WiFi location (GPS, Access to my Location) active then invited Google Maps to track your location if the option (Google Location Settings) was enabled. This took up a lot of battery resources.

Other things like email "polling" settings could be set to longer time periods. Use push mail when available.

Calendars can also 'poll' or updates/sync regularly too.

Just be aware that people like me on rooted XPERIA M phones, have removed half the apps in /system/app such as facebook, twitter and etc.
On non-rooted phones these applications can be frozen in settings -> Apps to better refine your overall phone environment and thus reflect your usage.
We also have CPU management tools like SetCPU and etc on rooted phones, which allow us to use different governors and IO schedulers and even profiles for when the screen is off.
These are not available in a non-rooted phone, so you will not see the higher levels of refinement available on a rooted phone when using a non-rooted phone.

Even basic things like the settings for brightness of the screen can save/use battery

The following GSMam Battery Monitor figure shows the time applications have held the phone awake and the total percentage of battery they used while phone was held awake.

attachment.php

This figure was take from a phone running GingerBread 2.3, but the concept is the same.

Reactions: ayush29k

ayush29k

Sep 30, 2011
Delhi
I'v cheked all the options in gsam, it seems only the system apps are now causing all the major wakeups, user apps are fine.

I know of advantages of root, been using a rooted galaxy ace for the past 3 yrs, it still gets me 18hrs battery on medium usage while running a custom 4.2.2 rom.

Well thanks a lot for all your help.

Reactions: Dr Goodvibes

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    egy2yqab.jpg

The phone battery should last for many days with light use and as @Antrikos48 has shown, almost flat line when not in use.

This is an example of an XPERIA C1905 left for a day doing nothing which would mean more than 10 days battery life at that rate. (Installed applications and usage will be different for different people)

attachment.php

I use GSam Battery Monitor to check battery use.

Any process keeping the phone awake can be viewed from the main menu as follows:

App Usage -> View Time held Awake

But for your immediate problem Wakelock Detector-Save Battery as @iks8 has suggested is probably all you need.

If the person using the phone just uses a few applications and is aware of any problem applications(when fix is found), you could also uninstall the battery monitor applications when not needed as they use a VERY small amount of background resources/memory (the very thing you're attempting to eliminate) if they're not being used/viewed often.

Also for a few applications and light use on a non-rooted phone (now you're aware of diagnostic applications) I wouldn't be to concerned about installing battery/application management apps as in a small basic environment there's really not much to manage.

If you manage data/network use effectively yourself Stamina mode may not really provide any real benefits.

One last thing not always considered is if you are in a very poor mobile phone signal area and have 3G/HSDPA data enabled and/or even GSM the phone will use more battery in an attempt to get the best signal it can in the area it finds itself in.
    The signal strength indicator ranges from green(best) to a yellow-grey(worst) colour depending on signal strength.

However, as the OP has show, this is not a problem in the location the phone is currently in as signal strength is green(very good).
    une2y2a9.jpg

Greenify's effect on deep sleep seems instantaneous, the device is not awake all the time but its still not as good as its supposed to be.
    Also greenify is not showing up several apps, mostly the system apps and preinstalled ones, probably because the device is not rooted, is there anyway to take care of them without root?

apyme7ys.jpg

Wakelock detector shows now mostly system processes and preinstalled apps causing the problem.

by8ebaza.jpg

qubybuba.jpg

upu8e3yb.jpg

GSam shows screen and google services taking up the most.

e2u6y4a6.jpg

I'v had him disable all the packages except for the google services framework.
    Plus he has now turned off the location based wifi option just to ensure the phone doesn't takes up any juice while searching for wifi networks during night when the network is itself turned off.

Can you suggest anything else i can do about this?

In GSam Battery Monitor, there are additional options that displays the number of times a process wakes the phone up and the percentage battery/resources that processes uses while awake.

This can be found my selecting the options available from the menu at the top of the screen from within the "App Usage" display.

A process may wake the system tens of times(not always a good thing in itself), but there could be a proccess(s) that only wakes the system a couple of times but continue to use resources over a longer period of time.

I have seen the likes of Offficesuite Pro wake only once, but then never ends when attempting to index files in GingerBread 2.3

The processes you have shown would seem about right for JB 4.1.2 as there's not much you can do about Google Services, Kernel or Android OS.

In the old days, having WiFi location (GPS, Access to my Location) active then invited Google Maps to track your location if the option (Google Location Settings) was enabled. This took up a lot of battery resources.

Other things like email "polling" settings could be set to longer time periods. Use push mail when available.

Calendars can also 'poll' or updates/sync regularly too.

Just be aware that people like me on rooted XPERIA M phones, have removed half the apps in /system/app such as facebook, twitter and etc.
    On non-rooted phones these applications can be frozen in settings -> Apps to better refine your overall phone environment and thus reflect your usage.
    We also have CPU management tools like SetCPU and etc on rooted phones, which allow us to use different governors and IO schedulers and even profiles for when the screen is off.
    These are not available in a non-rooted phone, so you will not see the higher levels of refinement available on a rooted phone when using a non-rooted phone.

Even basic things like the settings for brightness of the screen can save/use battery

The following GSMam Battery Monitor figure shows the time applications have held the phone awake and the total percentage of battery they used while phone was held awake.

attachment.php

This figure was take from a phone running GingerBread 2.3, but the concept is the same.
    I'v cheked all the options in gsam, it seems only the system apps are now causing all the major wakeups, user apps are fine.

I know of advantages of root, been using a rooted galaxy ace for the past 3 yrs, it still gets me 18hrs battery on medium usage while running a custom 4.2.2 rom.

Well thanks a lot for all your help.