CWM for Galaxy Player 5.0 US (YP-G70XAA)

Search This thread

apapousek

Jul 18, 2011
Hello all,

I'm working on porting CWM to our beloved Galaxy Player 5.0 US edition. I'm loosely following the guide here. I cannot promise that I'll be able to port it successfully, but I can promise that I'll brick my device at least once.

tl;dr : This post says some guy is working on CWM. Woot!

-apapousek

cramjammer

Oct 18, 2010
Indiana
Apapouseck-

Are you a dev? PM me and give me your email address please. I have a question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

apapousek

Jul 18, 2011
Your sending it to the people are you? And good luck, I only wish I knew how to do this

Of course I'm distributing it. Once I get a working copy, it's being thrown on github, or my own server, and given freely, open source, blah blah blah. No proprietary crap, except maybe enough drivers to get it up and running. But sources for those, too.
Apapouseck-

Are you a dev? PM me and give me your email address please. I have a question.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Well, technically not a dev. I just like taking software, messing around with it, seeing what it can do. My email address is anthony@papousek.org

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
That post, as it says, doesn't cover Samsung devices. It turns out that a while back, Koush made a commit to mkvendor.sh that allows it to operate without an example boot.img.

However, the problem is that there's a remaining bug in mkvendor.sh that TMPDIR is not set in the code path that is triggered when you don't specify boot.img

Right now I'm at a state where CWM starts and runs, but somehow it is treating the tilt sensor as volup/voldn input - so the thing scrolls eternally.

rumirand

That post, as it says, doesn't cover Samsung devices. It turns out that a while back, Koush made a commit to mkvendor.sh that allows it to operate without an example boot.img.

However, the problem is that there's a remaining bug in mkvendor.sh that TMPDIR is not set in the code path that is triggered when you don't specify boot.img

Right now I'm at a state where CWM starts and runs, but somehow it is treating the tilt sensor as volup/voldn input - so the thing scrolls eternally.

Maybe you need the s3c-keypad file to correct this or changing somewhere in the source /dev/input/eventX to another one.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Looks like I need to figure out how to filter out /dev/input/event1, and only pay attention to event4 and event5 (or just event4)

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I've got something that seems to be working... Needs a lot more testing. Recovery is important, and if it's broken, can really **** up someone's device.

Also, the way I got it working seems to be a massive hackjob, I need to chat with Koush if there's a better way to do things. Either that or a LOT of CWM porters have done source code modifications without publishing them (Which, while not ideal is allowed for CWM since it is Apache-licensed not GPL.)

rumirand

I've got something that seems to be working... Needs a lot more testing. Recovery is important, and if it's broken, can really **** up someone's device.

Also, the way I got it working seems to be a massive hackjob, I need to chat with Koush if there's a better way to do things. Either that or a LOT of CWM porters have done source code modifications without publishing them (Which, while not ideal is allowed for CWM since it is Apache-licensed not GPL.)

I'm glad you got a clockworkmod which seems to work. Let us know what koush says and if it'll be official support to CWM on our devices.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Yup.

Main things you need to consider when building:
1) The recovery.fstab for Samsung devices isn't appropriate for CWM. One appropriate for CWM has just three entries:
mount point, filesystem, device

The filesystem format options (fourth and fifth columns) seen in stock recovery.fstab will screw up CWM

2) /dev/input/event1 MUST be filtered on SGP5 US devices (and probably international too) - the accelerometer spams keystrokes. This is in ev_init() in minui/events.c
3) Recovery.fstab can't be in /etc - but this path is hardcoded in CWM so you must change the path in roots.c - SGSII seems to use /misc instead of /etc - this is in load_volume_table() in roots.c

apapousek

Jul 18, 2011
Yup.

Main things you need to consider when building:
1) The recovery.fstab for Samsung devices isn't appropriate for CWM. One appropriate for CWM has just three entries:
mount point, filesystem, device

The filesystem format options (fourth and fifth columns) seen in stock recovery.fstab will screw up CWM

2) /dev/input/event1 MUST be filtered on SGP5 US devices (and probably international too) - the accelerometer spams keystrokes. This is in ev_init() in minui/events.c
3) Recovery.fstab can't be in /etc - but this path is hardcoded in CWM so you must change the path in roots.c - SGSII seems to use /misc instead of /etc - this is in load_volume_table() in roots.c

Koush put this up at rootzwiki.

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Koush put this up at rootzwiki.

I've seen it - if you read it, it's just some "best practices" document that says what you should do after you've managed to compile a working CWM recovery binary - however, I have not seen a single kernel that integrated CWM the way he says, even ones coming from very talented developers (like codeworkx)

apapousek

Jul 18, 2011

Could you post how you achieved this partial state? I'm busy downloading cm, which is just fun

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I'll try to when I have some time... next few days are going to be busy.

Very quick summary:
  1. Need to fix mkvendor.sh so TMPDIR is set when you don't provide a bootimage argument, otherwise the device tree doesn't get created properly
  2. Need to pull recovery.fstab from the device and make it CWM-compatible (Only three columns: mount point, fstype, mount device) by removing all the Samsung-specific cruft - look at the SGSII recovery.fstab for an example of what it should look like
  3. Put in the partition sizes and such in BoardConfig.mk
  4. Need to do the source edits to CWM I mention a few posts above - both are oneliners. I'll try to post a patch when I have the time
  5. Once you build by "make recoveryzip" you need to manually go and copy the recovery binary and all its symlinks into the initramfs - it's in out/target/product/samsung/yourdevicenamehere/ somewhere

Last edited:

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
dammit...

Something is not working right. Nandroid restores aren't restoring properly... The restores always seem to get corrupted.

****ing RFS... I hate it.

Somehow restored directories are FUBAR:
Code:
ls: ./tts: No such file or directory
ls: ./bin: No such file or directory
ls: ./app: No such file or directory
ls: ./xbin: No such file or directory
ls: ./vendor: No such file or directory
ls: ./firmware: No such file or directory
ls: ./usr: No such file or directory
ls: ./fonts: No such file or directory
ls: ./lib: No such file or directory
ls: ./media: No such file or directory
ls: ./modules: No such file or directory
ls: ./vsc: No such file or directory
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          2437 Sep 16 21:35 build.prop
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root             0 Jan  9 23:24 cameradata
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            44 Sep 16 21:35 default.prop
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root             0 Jan  9 23:24 etc
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root             0 Jan  9 23:24 framework

rumirand

I'll try to when I have some time... next few days are going to be busy.

Very quick summary:
  1. Need to fix mkvendor.sh so TMPDIR is set when you don't provide a bootimage argument, otherwise the device tree doesn't get created properly
  2. Need to pull recovery.fstab from the device and make it CWM-compatible (Only three columns: mount point, fstype, mount device) by removing all the Samsung-specific cruft - look at the SGSII recovery.fstab for an example of what it should look like
  3. Put in the partition sizes and such in BoardConfig.mk
  4. Need to do the source edits to CWM I mention a few posts above - both are oneliners. I'll try to post a patch when I have the time
  5. Once you build by "make recoveryzip" you need to manually go and copy the recovery binary and all its symlinks into the initramfs - it's in out/target/product/samsung/yourdevicenamehere/ somewhere

Can you post the patch with the modifications in the source? Thanks!

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Attached patch and my current recovery.fstab - remove the .txt extensions

Still not exactly working... RFS formatting seems busted.

Attachments

• 0001-Hax-for-Galaxy-Player-5.patch.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 17
  • recovery.fstab.txt
    503 bytes · Views: 13

Entropy512

Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Figured out the formatting problems - a few services running from /system were preventing it from unmounting properly.

I did a successful Nandroid restore - things are close now. I may just need to tweak recovery.fstab a bit more to have RFS format/restore/backup fully working.

Voodoo Lagfix - whole other story...

Reactions: rumirand

rumirand

Figured out the formatting problems - a few services running from /system were preventing it from unmounting properly.

I did a successful Nandroid restore - things are close now. I may just need to tweak recovery.fstab a bit more to have RFS format/restore/backup fully working.

It's a step closer and a BIG advance if we got CWM working on our devices. Really thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.