No more HTC QWERTYs

Search This thread

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
I foresee a day when LEGO/Build a Bear Workshop is the model for adults.

Pick your screen size, keyboard, casing, processor, directional input, OS and a few custom tweaks with a 3D printer and come back in 30 minutes for your finished device.

Replicators for phones...very possible.

That would be pretty awesome!

We do it for computers; why not for phones!

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011

Hard keyboards are more efficient, plain and simple. People are only getting away without it because they are using retarded English in their text messages:

"dont 4get 2 get bred at store 2nite"

I'm sorry. If you text like that, you need to be punched in the face.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Thank you - someone gets it.

I've seen, been sent even, emails from corporate higher ups that read like that (maybe not quite that bad - but damn close) and refuse to sacrifice my professionalism because I have to make do with inefficient hardware.

My primary interest in having a smart phone is as a job necessity. I need to be able to send/receive emails on the spot in a rapidly evolving environment. Take pictures of what's happening and receive updated schematics based on what i'm sending back.

Prior my setup was a laptop, portable printer and digital camera.

In this device I have it all in one spot, and don't need a printer.

Without a hardware keyboard, having to drag around a bluetooth keyboard or something will send me right back to other hardware and drive me out of the smartphone market.

Yes, people who send messages like this do need to be punched in the face - I will agree emphatically with this statement.

Social interaction is being reduced to kindergarten level, even from supposed professional people - and I refuse to be a part of it. If that means the end of my participation in places like this due to a lack of hardware worth working on, then so be it.

Reactions: rorytmeadows

wiswis

Aug 17, 2011
Even if you didn't make the numbers up, you're still only thinking about this one phone. T-Mobile is just a small user base in itself.

You can blame Steve Jobs for all of this. This asshole thought he could tell people what they wanted and people just ate it up. iPhone didn't need a keyboard so you don't need one. Now you have 99.8% (according to your numbers) ignorant asses just getting whatever they are told to buy (or whatever clever advertising makes them feel like buying).

Hard keyboards are more efficient, plain and simple. People are only getting away without it because they are using retarded English in their text messages:

Hey i txt like tht and i love my hw keyboard

Sent from my Htc Doubleshot running ICS SENSE 4.0a

jonnycat26

Feb 16, 2008
On the one hand, I really can't believe HTC would do this, but then again, they're really only selling QWERTY phones on T-Mobile and Sprint these days, and who knows how many units they're selling. Moto has that locked up on Verizon with the Droid, and AT&T doesn't (as far as I know) have any HTC QWERTY phones.

On the other hand, the MT4GS has a very 'meh' keyboard. Coming from the MT3GS, I was shocked at how bad the 4G Slide was in comparison to it's predecessor. I got used to it, but I still prefer the old model.

monkor

Mar 22, 2012
DC
I agree with what Blue said. I cover sports, and since I've been forced to use an Exhibit for the past few days while I try and find a deal on a MT4GS, my productivity has flat-lined. It's borderline pointless to attempt at dictating or swyping your way to 1,000-3,000 words effectively in a short amount of time. The keyboard is amazingly handy for those with large hands who cannot hunt and peck well at all. That they're dying out and touchscreens are coming in is a damn shame. Even with something like the Galaxy Note (which I played around with the other day), the large screen size is still not as effective as the keyboard. Technology for touchscreen effective typing simply isn't there yet. Apple really has dictated the market into forcing slim phones on everyone. Looks like I'll have to be looking at Blowkia phones from now on, though I really don't want to switch over to Windows phones....

Limewirelord

Feb 8, 2012
Psst, you just need good marketing. HTC is awful at marketing, and so is T-Mobile. Look at Samsung, people are buying the Note even though it's enormous and has a stylus. If you can't market your product, it's as good as dead. I can't really say that the MT4GS had any marketing, I only know of it because I bother to look.

Blue6IX

May 20, 2011
I'll agree that if you don't market the product it dies. I don't watch tv, even if I had time to do so I didn't have one until I got this phone and only because of the tv-out, it's got no conversion box and gets no channels.

I didn't know this device had no marketing behind it, I was following the snapdragon line and the tv-out thread here sold me on it back in august. I wanted my first smartphone to be the S4 but this device was too good a platform to pass up.

T-mo is stepping up their marketing with the new carly - I'm glad they spent the last few years dumping cash into the network instead of marketing though.

I like the idea of build your own phone - that would be the answer.

Sent from a digital distance.

Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Yes Carly <3 :D
Tmobile always finds the most attractive girls for their campaign. But then again, I am a sucker for brunettes ;)

ravi_n

Oct 7, 2010
On the one hand, I really can't believe HTC would do this, but then again, they're really only selling QWERTY phones on T-Mobile and Sprint these days, and who knows how many units they're selling. Moto has that locked up on Verizon with the Droid, and AT&T doesn't (as far as I know) have any HTC QWERTY phones.

On the other hand, the MT4GS has a very 'meh' keyboard. Coming from the MT3GS, I was shocked at how bad the 4G Slide was in comparison to it's predecessor. I got used to it, but I still prefer the old model.

You forget the rest of the world. The Desire Z did well (notably better than the G2, I suspect). There are also more than a few of us who wanted a "Sensation Slide" badly enough that we had to get the MT4GS from the US. HTC made a mistake focusing too hard on the US last year and not covering their bases overseas. It is too bad they seem to be drawing the wrong conclusion from that.

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
No way! Horse face?! That is Sarah Jessica Parker. Carly is way better looking.

Sent from my toaster

Not here:

6971161192_c2ca9e775c.jpg

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Now that's much more like it
Why yes, I would like a phone :)

Attachments

• carly_foulkes-1.jpg
    carly_foulkes-1.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 46

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think enough people are fine with all-touchscreen phones for HTC to do fine.... the article said qwerty sales just aren't cutting it enough for them to continue. In my mind, part of the problem is the keyboards aren't really good enough, but that is just my opinion. For me, I haven't seen a really good keyboard on a device that wasn't branded a Sidekick. But I think more what it is is that the iPhone kinda shaped people's perception, and for some reason people like that form factor. But I also think that some company(s) will step up and realize there is still a market for qwerty phones.

My introduction to smartphones was the old Sidekicks, so to me a smartphone is a mini console or terminal, with keyboard and landscape screen. And I'm gonna keep seeing it that way until there just aren't any more like that..... which perhaps means this might be my last HTC phone!
    its about time. keyboards are so outdated. touchscreen tech has improved over the years to where keyboards are outdated. Htc made the right choice.

When they solve the two problems of:

1 - losing screen real estate to the keyboard, by covering up whatever the screen is displaying by presenting keys to press

2 - the smooth, unbroken surface preventing a differentiation between buttons to press

then i'll be interested.

Until then...
    Just face it. People who like keyboards on smartphones are less then 0.2% of all smart phone users. We are the minority so even if u never buy another htc device becuz of the decision to stop making keyboard smartphones wont even make a small dent in there profits. Thus htc couldnt care any less. The DS was a huge flop for both Htc and Tmo. Only 32% of consumers who own the Doubleshot actually paid cash to buy it. The other 68% got the device thru either warranty exchange when they discontinued the Htc Glacier or thru Asurion Insurance. That is also the main reason why this Device wont get official ICS. It was a short lived device with a small user base.

Even if you didn't make the numbers up, you're still only thinking about this one phone. T-Mobile is just a small user base in itself.

You can blame Steve Jobs for all of this. This asshole thought he could tell people what they wanted and people just ate it up. iPhone didn't need a keyboard so you don't need one. Now you have 99.8% (according to your numbers) ignorant asses just getting whatever they are told to buy (or whatever clever advertising makes them feel like buying).

That's a shame - they really had a happy customer in me.

I should get a galaxy with my next paycheck just to start getting used to the samsung way of things.

Motorolla is kinda in limbo until we find out whether Huwai is going to buy them or not from Google...

...who else does that leave? just off brands or low quality losers like LG - every LG phone i've ever owned was a complete and utter POS failure, and would never buy one of their products again, period.

I like HTC, but I guess they don't like me.

Thank you - someone gets it.

I've seen, been sent even, emails from corporate higher ups that read like that (maybe not quite that bad - but damn close) and refuse to sacrifice my professionalism because I have to make do with inefficient hardware.

My primary interest in having a smart phone is as a job necessity. I need to be able to send/receive emails on the spot in a rapidly evolving environment. Take pictures of what's happening and receive updated schematics based on what i'm sending back.

Prior my setup was a laptop, portable printer and digital camera.

In this device I have it all in one spot, and don't need a printer.

Without a hardware keyboard, having to drag around a bluetooth keyboard or something will send me right back to other hardware and drive me out of the smartphone market.

Yes, people who send messages like this do need to be punched in the face - I will agree emphatically with this statement.

Social interaction is being reduced to kindergarten level, even from supposed professional people - and I refuse to be a part of it. If that means the end of my participation in places like this due to a lack of hardware worth working on, then so be it.