[Q] Samsung Galaxy S i9000B blue screen problem

Search This thread

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
I'm facing a problem very similar to the one described in this thread.

As one can see in the picture, the screen gets all blue.

After trying so many things, I came to the conclusion it's NOT a hardware problem because if I go back to stock GB, the screen is fine.

It's also fine if i install ICS, with CWM 5.x.

On the other hand, if I go to any JB ROM, tryied many ROM's and several kernels (mackay, semaphore, devil, ...), all of them brings the same blue screen.

To me, it seems to be a problem with CWM version 6 or above. Which is kind of strange, because I couldn't find anyone else having the same problem, except for the thread above.

So my questions are:

1) is there a way to have JB, but keep stock recovery instead of CWM? Or maybe have JB 4.3 with CWM 5.x ?

2) maybe there's a place where CWM keeps its settings and I can go there to delete them and/or reset them?

Some history:
I managed to install JB 4.2.2 and it was working for over 1 month. One night my wife installed an app called Jater Calendar and started playing with its color settings. The battery went dry and the next morning the phone booted up all blue.
I've already tried to install that app again and try to find some "restore settings", but I couldn't find anything.
Maybe it's just a coincidence, some app shouldn't change CWM settings like that. Or could it?

Reactions: need4steer

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland

After trying so many things, I came to the conclusion it's NOT a hardware problem because if I go back to stock GB, the screen is fine.

On the other hand, if I go to any JB ROM, tryied many ROM's and several kernels (mackay, semaphore, devil, ...), all of them brings the same blue screen.

To me, it seems to be a problem with CWM version 6 or above. Which is kind of strange, because I couldn't find anyone else having the same problem, except for the thread above.

So my questions are:

1) is there a way to have JB, but keep stock recovery instead of CWM? Or maybe have JB 4.3 with CWM 5.x ?

2) maybe there's a place where CWM keeps its settings and I can go there to delete them and/or reset them?

Some history:
I managed to install JB 4.2.2 and it was working for over 1 month. One night my wife installed an app called Jater Calendar and started playing with its color settings. The battery went dry and the next morning the phone booted up all blue.
I've already tried to install that app again and try to find some "restore settings", but I couldn't find anything.
Maybe it's just a coincidence, some app shouldn't change CWM settings like that. Or could it?

Just to clarify some of your questions:

-CWM 5.x.x.x is only compatible with Gingerbread and ICS. JB can only use CWM 6.x.x.x (as far as I've see for the S anyway). So no, you can't use CWM5 on Jelly Bean...

-I don't think CWM has this setting in recovery. Other kernels such as Semaphore with its own custom recovery might.

I took a look at the other thread and what xsenman and you posted, and this SEEMS like a hardware fault but isn't... I mean if colour corrections apps + advanced device settings don't work, then this is usually beyond the software.
Which version of Mackay have you tried- stock CM colours or Voodoo? Or have you tried both?

EDIT: Hold on a moment. You have an I9000B...
I9000B roms are NOT the same as the international I9000.
Hmmm.
Try Helly Bean- and make sure you get the I9000B version- and see if that changes anything. Or you could try CM builds for the I9000B (the code for it is galaxysbmtd).

I don't think its very likely but it MAY be due to the device (and therefore the kernels, even if they're only miniscule) being different.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCabana

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your quick response.

"this SEEMS like a hardware fault but isn't"
It can't be! If hardware were faulty, it wouldn't work on ICS or GB.

"Which version of Mackay have you tried- stock CM colours or Voodoo? Or have you tried both?"
Both, 0.199 Final CMC and VC. Also tried Devil3 (CMC and VC), GearKernel (JB, JB3, JBPlus) and Semaphore JB 2.9.12b.

All of them load the logo fine for 1 second, then it flashes really fast and becomes blue.

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
Yes, I know that ... the versions of CM I am using are all for i9000B. I even tried the i9000 (without B) to see what happened. It's also blue and the touch doesn't work.

I also tried Helly Bean (the 4.1.1 or 4.2.2 version, I don't remember which), same blue effect. :(

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland
Yes, I know that ... the versions of CM I am using are all for i9000B. I even tried the i9000 (without B) to see what happened. It's also blue and the touch doesn't work.

I also tried Helly Bean (the 4.1.1 or 4.2.2 version, I don't remember which), same blue effect. :(

Hmmm.

If you're on 4.2.2... Have you tried this as well? (sorry, I know I'm probably not helping too much but its better to try everything and see if SOMETHING happens I guess)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2105611

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
Yes, I had tried this one. It's the same file I downloaded yesterday.
The results are the same.

Soryuu

Aug 17, 2012
Auckland

Damn. Then I'm sorry, I really have no idea what's going on :/
The only thing I can think of is to ask your wife what exactly she did before that happened using that app...
Or (I'm not sure whether this is possible so someone else may have to correct me) somehow grab a logcat. I'm not experienced with logcats so I can't help you here: but there may be a possibility that taking a logcat, especially during booting (because you mentioned something like it being normal for one or two seconds before going blue) might reveal something, but as I said, I really don't know...

Try PM a developer you can get in touch with and see if they can do anything about it.... Or alternatively (if you ahven't already) try post in the CM thread and pawitp might know something.

need4steer

Mar 5, 2013
This blue screen problem is very common

Hi

It seems that this blue screen problem is very common in this forum.
Did someone manage to solve this problem, or is familiar with a working solution?

Just in order to be organized and help others, here is a reference to some of the users and their posts regarding this problem:
MrCabana in [Q] Samsung Galaxy S i9000B blue screen problem
kssthomas in [Q] Samsung Galaxy S blue screen error, which also posted a video in YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S i9000 - Blue Screen problem
IntelVN in [Q] [PROBLEM] Blue Screen On GT-I9000

The only thing that I got from all of these threads is that it's probably because of CWM 6.x and above, and that in CWM 5.x everything is okay. (Thanks a lot to MrCabana for this conclusions)
So, did someone manage to solve this problem, or is familiar with a working solution?

Edit: I posted a thread in which I summarize all I know about this issue.
Edit: This issue is solved. Please look in my thread for more information.

Last edited:

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
Sorry, I never found a solution to this problem.
Ended up buying another digitizer and after that, it started working again with CWM 6.0 and above.
Even though the problem seems to be "solved", I refuse to accept that as a hardware problem since (again) it was working fine with CWM < 6.0 even with the (maybe) broken screen.

Reactions: need4steer

need4steer

Mar 5, 2013
Sorry, I never found a solution to this problem.
Ended up buying another digitizer and after that, it started working again with CWM 6.0 and above.
Even though the problem seems to be "solved", I refuse to accept that as a hardware problem since (again) it was working fine with CWM < 6.0 even with the (maybe) broken screen.

Really?
Will you please describe in details the steps you did in order to solve this problem?

Last edited:

need4steer

Mar 5, 2013
There are no steps. I just replaced the screen digitizer.

Well, thank you for letting us know.
So weird that your screen was fine with CWM 5.x and ICS, and bad and bluish with CWM 6.x and JB, and still a hardware replacement solved it.
What caused you to finally replace it although it doesn't seemed as a hardware problem?
How did you know to replace this specific part?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So my questions are:

Some history:

So my questions are:

Some history:

Just to clarify some of your questions:

-CWM 5.x.x.x is only compatible with Gingerbread and ICS. JB can only use CWM 6.x.x.x (as far as I've see for the S anyway). So no, you can't use CWM5 on Jelly Bean...

-I don't think CWM has this setting in recovery. Other kernels such as Semaphore with its own custom recovery might.

I took a look at the other thread and what xsenman and you posted, and this SEEMS like a hardware fault but isn't... I mean if colour corrections apps + advanced device settings don't work, then this is usually beyond the software.
    Which version of Mackay have you tried- stock CM colours or Voodoo? Or have you tried both?

EDIT: Hold on a moment. You have an I9000B...
    I9000B roms are NOT the same as the international I9000.
    Hmmm.
    Try Helly Bean- and make sure you get the I9000B version- and see if that changes anything. Or you could try CM builds for the I9000B (the code for it is galaxysbmtd).

I don't think its very likely but it MAY be due to the device (and therefore the kernels, even if they're only miniscule) being different.

I'm wondering whether its to do with the fact that you flashed roms that weren't meant for the I9000B.

Try flash this- make sure you download the I9000B version- and see if the results are the same: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2012061

Hmmm.

If you're on 4.2.2... Have you tried this as well? (sorry, I know I'm probably not helping too much but its better to try everything and see if SOMETHING happens I guess)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2105611

Damn. Then I'm sorry, I really have no idea what's going on :/
    The only thing I can think of is to ask your wife what exactly she did before that happened using that app...
    Or (I'm not sure whether this is possible so someone else may have to correct me) somehow grab a logcat. I'm not experienced with logcats so I can't help you here: but there may be a possibility that taking a logcat, especially during booting (because you mentioned something like it being normal for one or two seconds before going blue) might reveal something, but as I said, I really don't know...

Try PM a developer you can get in touch with and see if they can do anything about it.... Or alternatively (if you ahven't already) try post in the CM thread and pawitp might know something.