Windows Phone 8 definitely coming to 2nd gen handsets, probably to 1st gen

Search This thread

Dinchy87

Aug 9, 2011
Živinice
yeah but what if microsoft tricks all of us, and with the apollo update comes for 3rd gen devices that are coming later this year. because of one fact, if they will "port" windows 8 to a phone, there is not enough memory (RAM) on the now available wp7 phones, they all have "only" 512 mb or 486 or 256... i think theyre are making a secret out of it because they are launching 3rd gen device that can have a windows 8 system on it. thats just a thought...

dkp1977

Oct 6, 2009
Stolberg
www.opinion-control.de
yeah but what if microsoft tricks all of us, and with the apollo update comes for 3rd gen devices that are coming later this year. because of one fact, if they will "port" windows 8 to a phone, there is not enough memory (RAM) on the now available wp7 phones, they all have "only" 512 mb or 486 or 256... i think theyre are making a secret out of it because they are launching 3rd gen device that can have a windows 8 system on it. thats just a thought...

Why should Windows Phone 8 need more RAM than Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 does? oO Windows Phone 8 != Windows 8, even if they share the same kernel, or at least parts of it.

Reactions: Dinchy87

Fuzzy John

Apr 22, 2010
And if it does come to gen 2 devices, will AT&T treay it the same as they did 7740 and 8107?

sure haven't

Feb 5, 2009
It's not logical to think that first-gen won't run WP8.
They keep dumbing down the standards (the minimum requirements), I guarantee their 3rd gen WP8 handsets are going to be sub-par, and go after the middle of the road market.

Think less quad-core, and more feature-phone.

Reactions: nipungupta7

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
To say Microsoft has dumbed down Windows Phone to accomodate "feature phones" is not a true statement.

Give me the changes to the specs made to Windows Phone. Here is the list

One feature moved from mandatory to optional is camera. That would have nothing to do with low end vs high end but to facilitate businesses that do not allow cameraphones.

Another feature is the Tango 256MB. And unlike Android, there is no performance penalty from running 256MB, there is an app penalty.

Reactions: Kenzibit

pikacz

Jun 12, 2009
MS can't afford to go the android way and stop supporting a bit older phones, because lots of users would walk away from their OS. i love wp7 very very much, but if i won't get the update on my mozart, i'll stop supporting them entirely

Reactions: awrnsmn

Dinchy87

Aug 9, 2011
Živinice
Why should Windows Phone 8 need more RAM than Windows Phone 7 or 7.5 does? oO Windows Phone 8 != Windows 8, even if they share the same kernel, or at least parts of it.

because i have tested it, windows phone 7 uses around 120-250mb sometimes more... with normal use, wlan, and 4-5 background tasks, and gsm. windows 8 uses far more, around 500mb minimum. and not a single app is running. then run something like IE with two or more tabs open, there goes your RAM or 512mb... so that the reason why i think microsoft make it like iphone and make an whole new device, with newer specs...

the second is. that some of the 1gen. devices dont have gyroscope and some other sensors that are used now in the 2nd generation dev. and what comes till end of this year the 3rd. gen. i think they will have just betters specs than 1st. and 2nd. ge. devices. plus more RAM and better processors. better screen resolutions and more...

Tone_

Dec 23, 2008
WOA_Asus.jpg

a rather old Asus Galaxy Windows Mobile 6.5 smartphone running a very early build of the ARM version of Windows 8 back when Microsoft didn’t have access to ARM based prototype tablets

drkfngthdragnlrd

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 27, 2008
Palmdale, CA
www.facebook.com

ebzrascal

Nov 30, 2008
I think its been said that all phones will get WP8 but earlier phones will have features disabled just like low end Tango Phones won't have all Mango features.

Sent from my OMNIA7 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

goldenpipes

Dec 29, 2009
Saint Paul
That's Windows 7 it's running... Look at the lower right corner of the screen... Also, notice it's not using Aero or even non the non Aero desktop...

Back when they first showed windows 8 running on ARM they specifically stated that they were using windows 7 shell on windows 8 kernel. I cant recall what it was exactly but it was Microsoft keynote @ mix11 or maybe before that even.

Not to mention there is no ARM version of windows 7

Sent from my Focus S (SGH-i937) using Board Express Pro

Last edited:

TheXev

Aug 12, 2010
Corry PA
I love how Microsoft says some WP7 1st gen devices won't support Skype. While not official, Skype is working awesome on my HTC Trophy CDMA. Sure, I don't have a forward facing camera... but my front camera works... that has its own uses... XD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It's not logical to think that first-gen won't run WP8.
    They keep dumbing down the standards (the minimum requirements), I guarantee their 3rd gen WP8 handsets are going to be sub-par, and go after the middle of the road market.

Think less quad-core, and more feature-phone.
    To say Microsoft has dumbed down Windows Phone to accomodate "feature phones" is not a true statement.

Give me the changes to the specs made to Windows Phone. Here is the list

One feature moved from mandatory to optional is camera. That would have nothing to do with low end vs high end but to facilitate businesses that do not allow cameraphones.

Another feature is the Tango 256MB. And unlike Android, there is no performance penalty from running 256MB, there is an app penalty.
    MS can't afford to go the android way and stop supporting a bit older phones, because lots of users would walk away from their OS. i love wp7 very very much, but if i won't get the update on my mozart, i'll stop supporting them entirely