Tf700 Random Reboots. Anyone else or just me?

Search This thread

Tech-Hedz

Dec 7, 2007
Has anyone had issues with random reboots with their TF700 or is it just me. I know the older Transformers had issues but I am experiencing that issue on my Prime Infinity and wondering if it is a software issue and if I should just wait for an update or if I should try returning it.

Last edited:

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Try returning it... I only ran stock for a few days but i have never had a random reboot

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

zenaxe

May 30, 2010
I was getting them initially. Tried a factory reset and restored all of my apps with only minimal data and still got them.

Then did a factory reset again, started restoring apps one at a time only as needed from Google Play, no Tibu. I did this slowly, installing two or three at a time and then using the system for an hour or more to verify non-flakiness. Did not install an alternate launcher (had been using Apex). Avoided freemium games that do push notifications. No major problems since.

Did find at least one app that may be problematic: Google Voice seems unstable for me. There were couple of others too, IIRC, but that's the one that sticks out in my head because I use it fairly regularly. Did not reinstall a lot of stuff that I never actually used.

The process was painful but highly recommended. As the system becomes heavily loaded it tends have a lot of junk that is running all the time and taking up memory, etc, which is a real issue for ASUS' ICS firmware. This is why games are flaky on the TF and is probably the source of a lot of the seemingly random weirdness that seems to only affect some people but not others, IMHO, because it makes the system too sensitive to what you have installed/running on your box which is different for everyone.

This why a factory reset seems to magically fix everything, too, because all of that cruft gets wiped until you start reinstalling all this junk and firing off all the associated processes (which in turn start background services/process, etc).

I will still occasionally run FMR memory cleaner when the machine is acting laggy or something crashes (usually gmail, lol) and everything clears right up. My two previous TF201s and my other TF700 were ALL like this. I'm convinced it's an ASUS firmware/kernel issue. I'm hopeful JB fixes it but have learned to pay attention to what I put on the thing in the mean time and it is running better than ever.

rooted, btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: jayo1978

Unibrow

Jan 23, 2011
I've had my Infinity for a little over a month and within the last week or so I've had random system crashes. Thought I figured out what app it was and it had stopped crashing but now it started in again late last night.wondering if its a hardware issue. Gut feeling is that I should go exchange it at Best Buy and just play it safe. I am rooted and also wondering if this could possibly be a reason as well.

clenz

Dec 9, 2011
Chicago
What I have found is that the Infinity becomes very unstable when memory gets below 200mb. I am using the Cool Tool widget to show available RAM and noticed that it would frequently get below 200mb with general use. I have since set background processes limit to at most 2 and this keeps my RAM about 300mb and above. It limits multi taking a bit, but has been much more stable.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: elfaure

BoyScout

Nov 30, 2006
I have the same random reboots... not a good start with the new tf700t :(

Gesendet von meinem ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T mit Tapatalk 2

mouse100

Sep 20, 2010
I returned mine for this issue. I had 4/5 freeze and random reboots in a day also after a full wipe. Not a good tablet. I liked only the display because it had a lot of problems.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

MechanteMiette

Jan 4, 2011
moto.monsieur.lu
I had these random reboots at the beginning. Do you have a µSD card inserted in your TF700 (not the dock) ? I did and this was the cause of the reboots.
Once removed, no more reboots.

Hope this could help you.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Unibrow

Jan 23, 2011
I have an SD card in the tablet. Hoping today's ota fixes the reboot problem. Also, I've seen it happen twice where after having a series of reboots the tablet has a firmware update. I am wondering if the crashes have anything to do with the tablet calling home to Asus.

sacthegreat

Jun 15, 2011
Bangalore
I have an SD card in the tablet. Hoping today's ota fixes the reboot problem. Also, I've seen it happen twice where after having a series of reboots the tablet has a firmware update. I am wondering if the crashes have anything to do with the tablet calling home to Asus.

same here!! lots of random reboots for me too!! I read a lot of comics on my infinity!! And i get random reboots when I am trying to open the viewers sometimes!!!

Reactions: circuit89

riyatch

Mar 20, 2012
I had lots of reboots and and freezes freezes on my first infinity so I exchanged it out.. my second one has started doing it again after 2 wks.

sacthegreat

Jun 15, 2011
Bangalore
I had lots of reboots and and freezes freezes on my first infinity so I exchanged it out.. my second one has started doing it again after 2 wks.

Hehehehe... nice to know when the second device also does that! So mostly the problem is software related!
Coz it would be tough for me to exchange it since I'm not in US! :D

Current devices:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus S
Nexus 7
Asus Transformer Infinity

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009
I used to have them but after a limiting background processes to 4 I have had zero reboots. Also games don't crash anymore. There is something seriously messed up with the memory allocation.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

sacthegreat

Jun 15, 2011
Bangalore
I used to have them but after a limiting background processes to 4 I have had zero reboots. Also games don't crash anymore. There is something seriously messed up with the memory allocation.

Is it? Cool... I'll also try that trick and update how it goes!

Current devices:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus S
Nexus 7

jtrosky

May 8, 2008

So what affect does that setting really have (limiting background processes to 4) - does that just mean that you can only *truly* multi-task 4 apps? I've always wondered exactly what that setting really did...

Thanks.

CandyAndy

Jul 29, 2009
So what affect does that setting really have (limiting background processes to 4) - does that just mean that you can only *truly* multi-task 4 apps? I've always wondered exactly what that setting really did...

Thanks.

Yes I think so. 4 is actually that much of apps that this is quite a good compromise between stability and multitasking. And either way this doesn't have "true" multitasking as for example youtube videos stop playing when going to other screen. Which is actually very annoying and thats one of the reasons why this really can't be laptop replacement.

sacthegreat

Jun 15, 2011
Bangalore

Cool thanx! Tried that trick and haven't had any reboots since! :D

Current devices:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus S
Nexus 7

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Man, I would be *livid* if my TF700 had random reboots! Part of the reason I bought the TF700 was because my old TF101 has had random reboot issues with ICS (if I NVFlash Honeycomb it's stable as a rock). I haven't had a single random reboot with my TF700 though - and believe me, I watch for it (mainly via uptime widget)...

Have you guys always had random reboots since you purchased it??

BossMafia2

Jun 15, 2010
So if we're thinking memory allocation is the issue here, I wonder if the V6 Supercharge would help out. I use it on my phone and it's incredible. I installed half of it on my tf700 earlier today, but I have to wait till I'm at a real computer before I apply the rest of the changes.

As a disclaimer, I've not had these random reboots, neither before nor after the OTA, though sometimes games will refuse to load with that whole nvidia issue. Haven't seen that for a little bit though either.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Certainly at the beginning of my story I did try factory resets etc., following asus support recommendations.
    Which, while I'm at it, have really impressed me over time with their engineering soundness :)

I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

If it's software -- why recommend exchanging units/bringing to the service -- just admit it is there and ask for patience until they fix it with updates.
    But one should really concentrate effort to fix such things, not letting them to be there for months... If it's hardware -- why recommend doing factory resets, run only supplied applications, etc. -- just run massive exchange/recall without wasting customer's and their time. If they cannot solve it -- return money to everybody/file for bankruptcy/whatever :)

Which is too bad, of course, since otherwise I really like the tablet. That's why I'm still using it -- as long as the issue is quite rare, and I do not use the unit for anything critical it's perfectly usable...

Oh, one support person did write me that their communications with the headquarters was really poor, but I thought over few months this could've been addressed.

How one can carry the business this way and survive is a miracle to me :)

---------- Post added at 11:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

While we are at XDA, I have a question -- did anybody try non-ASUS firmware with TF700 and does anybody have any statistics related to the "freeze/reboot" before/after (e.g., was observing/not observing, or was observing/still observing, frequency, etc.)

Thanks!
    I use the TF700 in 70/30 landscape/portrait. I didn't have these random reboots at first, but they started showing up after a failed try at data@sd, and I believe my microSD is acting up. Yesterday and the day before the tablet would reboot after about 15 mnutes of video playing from that card. I reformatted it yesterday -- from NTFS to FAT32 -- and it has been acting nicely so far. No guarantees this is the issue, but I do hope this was my issue. ;) They have been mightily annoying.
    I mean, apparently mine is not an isolated case. There is even some consistency in symptoms (the screen state). The product is sold for quite some time. They must have quite good statistics. They should have some understanding of the root cause, at least whether it's hardware or software related...

The problem is hard to reproduce, it's plausible that even they don't understand it, especially as their HQ doesn't seem to be interested in feedback from customers or keeping their support staff informed.

I really like your scientific approach to analyze the problem, XDA needs more members doing that (not only for this specific issue, but in general).
    It feels completely random, but I have a feeling that it happens more often when the screen is rotating.
    Almost everytime it crashes, it suddenly switches to a completely gray screen with a black 1-pixel-width line on the left side, from top to bottom.

It looks something like the attachment I posted.

Has anybody else seen this type of crash? Just to note it doesn't happen very often, maaaybe once a week or once every two weeks.

Yes, this is a known problem, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1798217