[Q] Help needed - difference in volume between music apps

Search This thread

yoallen78

Feb 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Hi all, [I did a forum search using volume galaxy note 3; volume mod galaxy note 3 and didn't find anything related to my post below]

I have quite a bit of a head scratcher here and I'm not sure which way to go to resolve it....

I have an AT&T Galaxy Note 3 that is rooted running stock MJ5 firmware. When playing music using the speaker and built-in music app (or when setting up the sounds to use for ringtone, notifications, etc.), the volume output is decent respective to it's factory output level. However when I'm playing music via PowerAmp or JetAudio Plus - the volume output is not at the same level as it is with the built-in music app. I've made sure that AGC is off in JetAudio, de-selected the Limit option in PowerAmp, and checked and unchecked the Direct Volume Control option within the advanced audio settings in PowerAmp. In spite of all that I have checked - the volume output is not the same and it's driving me crazy. Here are all of the things that I've done so far (in no particular order) to see if I can 'fix' the problem:

1) Factory Reset my phone (from within the OS itself)
2) I've tried using the Volume Boosting Mods found in this forum post to see if that would correct anything.
3) Performed a FULL firmware restore (courtesy of this post) to see if I mucked something up along the way. (I kind of messed up my haptic feedback which was the catalyst for the restore. The volume restore was along for the ride at that point ;) )

None of the above seems to work (EVEN with the firmware restore). Please note that with the firmware restore - I tested it out BEFORE loading my applications (except for JetAudio and PowerAmp). What makes the built-in music application different than apps such as PowerAmp, JetAudio, etc. that it accesses a different volume stream (say digital vs. analog)? (I know that last question was kind of confusing, but think of it as being analogous to Line Out vs. the 3.5mm headphone port for external sound output ;))

I know that the file used for modifying volume output levels is located in system/etc/snd_soc_msm (the file snd_soc_msm_Taiko_CDP is what's used to make the mods) but is there a specific line or lines contained within that file that control analog volume output for the built-in speaker?

I'm not sure how the PowerAmp or JetAudio app is configured to access volume output streams (if that makes any sense) but there seems to be something different because the volume output drops pretty badly when using either of these apps vs. the stock music player.

Has anyone else noticed this oddity (and found a way to fix it) or am I the odd man out here :(?

Any help would be appreciated.

yoallen78

Feb 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I don't recall having Adapt Sound enabled (I did see it but don't remember having any checkboxes ticked....). I'll reply back once I downgrade my phone back to JB (I was forced to take an OTA update to kitkat and I need root access).

So after going through a full factory reset (via ODIN), I can confirm that I'm not using Adapt Sound and have also ensured that I am not using any equalizers to enhance the sound in either application.

meawww

Dec 2, 2013
Rome
You cant compare PA or JA to the stock audio because those 2 apps using different drivers than a stock 1

yoallen78

Feb 14, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I don't recall having Adapt Sound enabled (I did see it but don't remember having any checkboxes ticked....). I'll reply back once I downgrade my phone back to JB (I was forced to take an OTA update to kitkat and I need root access).

You cant compare PA or JA to the stock audio because those 2 apps using different drivers than a stock 1

Thanks for the info :) (The driver usage may be what the difference is respective to audio output.)

I wasn't really trying to compare the apps per se as more of a process of finding out if I have a unique hardware issue in which I would need to send my phone back to AT&T/Samsung for a warranty exchange.