BackTrack 5 ARM (with GUI via TightVNCServer)

Search This thread

xMemphisx

Dec 7, 2008
Backtrack (http://www.backtrack-linux.org)
Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.

Here is a guide to getting ARM Backtrack Running on the Xoom (tested on Wifi Only Version, running 3.1)

After much frustration I have gotten the GUI part of the backtrack 5 arm release working with the Motorola Xoom.

This has only been tested to work on the Xoom. But it should work just fine with any other device that supports linux, and should work especially well on anything with a dual-core processor (G2X, Atrix, etc.)

Pre-requisites:
- Rooted Motorola Xoom
- androidVNC from the Android Market
- Terminal Emulator from the Android Market (which you should already have)
- Backtrack 5 for ARM with Gnome downloaded and setup (check the README file, and follow the instructions.)
Link: Backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/. This tutorial will assume you put Backtrack 5 in the folder /sdcard/BT5 like the README says.

Launch the terminal emulator and enter the following commands:
Code:
cd /sdcard/BT5
su
sh bootbt
BackTrack will start up in shell. You will get a red line that says "root@localhost:". To verify if you type:
Code:
ls pentest
It should echo back the folders in pentest, stuff like 'backdoors','database',etc.

At this point enter the following commands:
Code:
export USER=root
vncpasswd

When you type in 'vncpasswd' this is to the the password for the tightvncserver. Since I only connect locally I just use 'qwerty' for my password, and then confirm the password. [Edit] Apparently you can skip this step, as the default password for vnc is simply, 'toortoor' (root backwards, twice).

When it asks if you want to create a view only password just type 'n' and hit enter. After you have your password setup for vnc start the server up.
Code:
tightvncserver -geometry 1280x800

When this happens you will get a message confirming that "New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1" and a bunch of other random stuff below it (it isn't important unless there are errors listed).

At this point, press the "HOME" button on the Xoom and then open the application "androidVNC".
-In the "Nickname" box, you can name it whatever you like.
-In the "password" entry, use your password (mine is 'qwerty').
-In the "Address" box you can type in localhost (or leave it blank).

****Change the port from 5900 to 5901.
[Edit] TightVNCServer uses 5901 by default, but if you are having connection errors it may have changed to something else. View the TightVNCServer logs (which I believe are under /root/.vnc/, do an 'ls -a' and a 'nano logfilename') to check to see what port was in use.

I also recommend setting the color-depth to 24-bit. After that press the "connect" button, and bam! You're rocking Backtrack 5 on your motorola xoom!!

You're welcome to repost this on other message boards of on your website, please just give me credit though. Thank you and enjoy!

5711241049_7a97aff4c3.jpg

Last edited:

renocivik

May 16, 2008
Reno, NV
But can our wireless go into monitor mode... can it inject? New to backtrack... but know what.it can do

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

blkr00t

Apr 17, 2008
Whoa!!!

This is big...I'm going to do this immediately after I update to 3.1. Great job!!

nindoja

Nov 24, 2009
But can our wireless go into monitor mode... can it inject? New to backtrack... but know what.it can do

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

It would depend on if the BT developers provided a driver that has monitor mode enabled. I have it installed but haven't investigated that yet. I do know that tcpdump is on the box, so at least you can monitor your own web traffic.

OP: You don't necessarily need to change the vnc password. It comes with a default password of "toortoor"

nindoja

Nov 24, 2009
As an aside, I'm going to spend some time this week/weekend looking into getting this to run natively. I'm doubtful that it will work but you never know.

I do know they are using Tiamet 1.3.0 as the kernel they are running, so it's possible that this can be done with a good bit of work.

B Dizzle

Jun 29, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
There is a slight error in your commands I believe. To change the VNC password it should be vncpasswd rather than vpnpasswd.
Port for me was 5902 btw. I was stumped until I looked at the tightvnc log.

Monitor mode does not appear to work and maybe some things have changed since Backtrack 3 but I couldn't locate aircrack-ng.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
Reactions: filmaker

chesh420

Jul 13, 2009
Thanks for this. Going to try it on my nook color tomorrow. If it works, ya mind if I x-post this in their dev forums?

anantshri

Feb 22, 2011
Bangalore
anantshri.info
The command should be vncpasswd.

also BT image already contains startvnc as a command which will start the vncserver for you.

I am working on porting BT image to Xperia X10 (thread marked in Sig.)

xMemphisx

Dec 7, 2008
all of these steps work on all devices or just xoom only??

I haven't tested it on anything else yet, but like launching "Ubuntu" from chroot, it should work as long as your device has a fast enough processor. The only other phone I have to test this on would be my nexus one, but I haven't gotten around to actually testing it out yet. This installation cannot hurt your phone any, so feel free to give it a shot and post your results!

Thanks for this. Going to try it on my nook color tomorrow. If it works, ya mind if I x-post this in their dev forums?

You're welcome to repost it, if it works, please just give me credit.

I really hope this arm distribution starts to take off, as I use the x86 all of the time on my laptop, and it would be great to have a completely functional tablet version... but they won't keep developing it if no one uses it.

Last edited:

clay_atx

May 28, 2010
austin
i have this installed as well.

to answer the above, this only works on the xoom and the atrix. it could work on other tegra 2 devices, but is unknown on stability and support. it was made pretty much for the xoom.

also, you cannot do any wifi attacks or injections, just the nature of the beast.

vdub804

Sep 2, 2008
How did you copy the bt5.img to the sdcard because it says file too large with fat32

Sent from my G2X using Tapatalk

lewi3069

Feb 6, 2008
Does anyone know where I can get this not as a Torrent. My work Blocks torrent traffic.

anantshri

Feb 22, 2011
Bangalore
anantshri.info
How did you copy the bt5.img to the sdcard because it says file too large with fat32

Sent from my G2X using Tapatalk

i have this installed as well.

to answer the above, this only works on the xoom and the atrix. it could work on other tegra 2 devices, but is unknown on stability and support. it was made pretty much for the xoom.

also, you cannot do any wifi attacks or injections, just the nature of the beast.

For both of you check my post on Xperia X10 thread (link in sig)

file directly won't copy as 4 GB is max file size fr vfat.
i have posted a log file which contains all the instructions for resizing and getting your file out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Backtrack (http://www.backtrack-linux.org)
    Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.

Here is a guide to getting ARM Backtrack Running on the Xoom (tested on Wifi Only Version, running 3.1)

After much frustration I have gotten the GUI part of the backtrack 5 arm release working with the Motorola Xoom.

This has only been tested to work on the Xoom. But it should work just fine with any other device that supports linux, and should work especially well on anything with a dual-core processor (G2X, Atrix, etc.)

Pre-requisites:
    - Rooted Motorola Xoom
    - androidVNC from the Android Market
    - Terminal Emulator from the Android Market (which you should already have)
    - Backtrack 5 for ARM with Gnome downloaded and setup (check the README file, and follow the instructions.)
    Link: Backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/. This tutorial will assume you put Backtrack 5 in the folder /sdcard/BT5 like the README says.

Launch the terminal emulator and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard/BT5
    su
    sh bootbt
    BackTrack will start up in shell. You will get a red line that says "root@localhost:". To verify if you type:
    Code:
    ls pentest
    It should echo back the folders in pentest, stuff like 'backdoors','database',etc.

At this point enter the following commands:
    Code:
    export USER=root
    vncpasswd

When you type in 'vncpasswd' this is to the the password for the tightvncserver. Since I only connect locally I just use 'qwerty' for my password, and then confirm the password. [Edit] Apparently you can skip this step, as the default password for vnc is simply, 'toortoor' (root backwards, twice).

When it asks if you want to create a view only password just type 'n' and hit enter. After you have your password setup for vnc start the server up.
    Code:
    tightvncserver -geometry 1280x800

When this happens you will get a message confirming that "New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1" and a bunch of other random stuff below it (it isn't important unless there are errors listed).

At this point, press the "HOME" button on the Xoom and then open the application "androidVNC".
    -In the "Nickname" box, you can name it whatever you like.
    -In the "password" entry, use your password (mine is 'qwerty').
    -In the "Address" box you can type in localhost (or leave it blank).

****Change the port from 5900 to 5901.
    [Edit] TightVNCServer uses 5901 by default, but if you are having connection errors it may have changed to something else. View the TightVNCServer logs (which I believe are under /root/.vnc/, do an 'ls -a' and a 'nano logfilename') to check to see what port was in use.

I also recommend setting the color-depth to 24-bit. After that press the "connect" button, and bam! You're rocking Backtrack 5 on your motorola xoom!!

You're welcome to repost this on other message boards of on your website, please just give me credit though. Thank you and enjoy!

5711241049_7a97aff4c3.jpg
    There is a slight error in your commands I believe. To change the VNC password it should be vncpasswd rather than vpnpasswd.
    Port for me was 5902 btw. I was stumped until I looked at the tightvnc log.

Monitor mode does not appear to work and maybe some things have changed since Backtrack 3 but I couldn't locate aircrack-ng.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
    hey man, i manage to get all the way to the part of android vnc, and put my password and change the port and everything as u said but when i click connect it always gives me an ip address kind of thing and connection refused... Did i forget to do something important?

Are you getting an error when running tightvncserver saying it's not running on screen 1 or whatever? There are lock files in /tmp/, the .X ones, type ls -a from /tmp/ and you'll see them. You have to remove the lock files and the .X11-whatever directory(which you have to delete all the files in it before you can rmdir it)...
    what do you mean for help? the mouse with not follow your finger but as you touch objects, it will click them.
    this is just a live CD that is booted from a VM runinng within HC.