Operation Tweak Stock

Search This thread

wdwms

Nov 24, 2011
I've seen a lot of people complaining about battery life, and while I've had my Atrix HD only for a few days now (coming from an Atrix 2) I've had pretty good success w/the stock battery. I was initially bummed that we can't root yet, and with that comes the inability to turn off 3G/4G/LTE when the screen is off as well as other build.prop tweaks. I will be doing the EB40 battery mod, but before that I wanted to ensure I was getting the most out of my stock battery. I've done some things to get me the most life from my battery and many are just a reflection of my personal habits when I use the phone. Once size doesn't fit all, but hopefully you can use a few of the tricks here to improve your battery life. We can use this thread to share our results and findings.

Yes some of these are no-brainers, and we're not going to discuss the fact that using wifi, bluetooth and GPS all day will drain your battery. I operate on the idea that if I need it, I'll turn it on. I don't need every single one of my accounts synced to the split second. Half the time my phone is sitting next to me while i'm at my computer. Of course others live and breath through their phone. :) I don't care to be bugged every 5-10 seconds by my phone; got better things to do....but that is my style.

I will post some screen shots of my system as I complete some other tests. The first test I will do is turn off data and background sync and see how many days this phone can last w/out a charge. Other tests are TBD.

So here is what I've done so far.. While all of this is no more than enabling/disabling and configuring items, I still will take no responsibility if disabling any features/apps breaks or harms the your installation of your phone or bricks it.

Enjoy

-t

Developer Options
Window Animation Scale: Animation Off
Transition Animation Scale: Animation Off

Deep Sleep
This one is critical, in fact I didn't have good battery life until I was positive that the phone was entering deep sleep when it was idle (cellular data on or off, it doesn't matter). I used Better Battery Stats to determine this. I'd set a custom reference point, lock the phone, wait 1-2 minutes and then look in BBS. If i didn't see any Deep Sleep time, i'd uninstall or re-configure apps so that the phone would remain asleep. Even if you see a high % of 384mhz and no deep sleep, you will loose battery power. Low CPU usage is NOT the same as deep sleep. The culprit i've honed in on is Beautiful Widgets. I'm suspect this app, despite telling it to only update the weather every 2 hours does not let the phone enter deep sleep. Further testing is needed to confirm.

Accounts
Sync only contacts
I have one account (exchange) that has its calendar synced
Manually sync other items when you need them

Background Sync
All apps have any kind of notifications and sync turned off, this includes ebay, words with friends, facebook twitter etc. Again, when you need to see an update, manually update/sync.
Social Apps syncing? - NO

Email Client - I'm using Enhanced Email, I'm not using the stock email client or the gmail app.
# of accounts: 3 (2 are gmail, 1 is exchange)
Sync: Check every 15 minutes
Using Gmail client - NO

Smart Actions - This alone is a huge battery saver, over night my phone only looses 1-2 % of battery life. By the time I pick up my phone at 8:30am, my email is already synced and i haven't lost any battery power. My reson for doing this is that I came from a Blackberry about a year ago. They had a great feature that would put the phone into a super deep sleep, essentially a hibernate. Everything was off; this is the closest we can com to on Android, sans turning the phone completely off. I estimate if you use this setting all the time you would be close to the advertised 8.5 days of standby time.
Triggers
Nighttime Battery Saver
Timeframe: 10pm - 8am
Display - Off
Actions:
Background sync Disabled
Cellular Data - Disabled
Wi-Fi - Off
Bluetooth - Off
GPS - Off

Disabled Apps
Amazon Kindle
At&T Code Scanner
AT&T Family Map
AT&T Messages
AT&T Navigator
AT&T Ready2Go
At&T Smart Wi Fi
Audio Effects
Browser Message
Bubbles
Circles
City ID
com.softwareimaging.motoprint.mo....
DRM Protected Content Storage
Email
Face Unlock
Google Search
Lamina
Live TV
Magic Smoke Wallpapers
Music Visualization Wallpapers
MyAT&T
Print to Retail
Qik Lite
Quick View
Real Racing 2
Rescue Security
Suggestions
Suggestions Core Rule Checker Sevice
Suggestions Poll Scheduler Service
Swype
Talkback
Vehicle Mode
VMWare Ready
Weather
YPmobile

Last edited:

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
Ahhhh didn't realize you had to un install updates first.

Sent from my MB886

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a lot of people complaining about battery life, and while I've had my Atrix HD only for a few days now (coming from an Atrix 2) I've had pretty good success w/the stock battery. I was initially bummed that we can't root yet, and with that comes the inability to turn off 3G/4G/LTE when the screen is off as well as other build.prop tweaks. I will be doing the EB40 battery mod, but before that I wanted to ensure I was getting the most out of my stock battery. I've done some things to get me the most life from my battery and many are just a reflection of my personal habits when I use the phone. Once size doesn't fit all, but hopefully you can use a few of the tricks here to improve your battery life. We can use this thread to share our results and findings.

Yes some of these are no-brainers, and we're not going to discuss the fact that using wifi, bluetooth and GPS all day will drain your battery. I operate on the idea that if I need it, I'll turn it on. I don't need every single one of my accounts synced to the split second. Half the time my phone is sitting next to me while i'm at my computer. Of course others live and breath through their phone. :) I don't care to be bugged every 5-10 seconds by my phone; got better things to do....but that is my style.

I will post some screen shots of my system as I complete some other tests. The first test I will do is turn off data and background sync and see how many days this phone can last w/out a charge. Other tests are TBD.

So here is what I've done so far.. While all of this is no more than enabling/disabling and configuring items, I still will take no responsibility if disabling any features/apps breaks or harms the your installation of your phone or bricks it.

Enjoy

-t

Developer Options
    Window Animation Scale: Animation Off
    Transition Animation Scale: Animation Off

Deep Sleep
    This one is critical, in fact I didn't have good battery life until I was positive that the phone was entering deep sleep when it was idle (cellular data on or off, it doesn't matter). I used Better Battery Stats to determine this. I'd set a custom reference point, lock the phone, wait 1-2 minutes and then look in BBS. If i didn't see any Deep Sleep time, i'd uninstall or re-configure apps so that the phone would remain asleep. Even if you see a high % of 384mhz and no deep sleep, you will loose battery power. Low CPU usage is NOT the same as deep sleep. The culprit i've honed in on is Beautiful Widgets. I'm suspect this app, despite telling it to only update the weather every 2 hours does not let the phone enter deep sleep. Further testing is needed to confirm.

Accounts
    Sync only contacts
    I have one account (exchange) that has its calendar synced
    Manually sync other items when you need them

Background Sync
    All apps have any kind of notifications and sync turned off, this includes ebay, words with friends, facebook twitter etc. Again, when you need to see an update, manually update/sync.
    Social Apps syncing? - NO

Email Client - I'm using Enhanced Email, I'm not using the stock email client or the gmail app.
    # of accounts: 3 (2 are gmail, 1 is exchange)
    Sync: Check every 15 minutes
    Using Gmail client - NO

Smart Actions - This alone is a huge battery saver, over night my phone only looses 1-2 % of battery life. By the time I pick up my phone at 8:30am, my email is already synced and i haven't lost any battery power. My reson for doing this is that I came from a Blackberry about a year ago. They had a great feature that would put the phone into a super deep sleep, essentially a hibernate. Everything was off; this is the closest we can com to on Android, sans turning the phone completely off. I estimate if you use this setting all the time you would be close to the advertised 8.5 days of standby time.
    Triggers
    Nighttime Battery Saver
    Timeframe: 10pm - 8am
    Display - Off
    Actions:
    Background sync Disabled
    Cellular Data - Disabled
    Wi-Fi - Off
    Bluetooth - Off
    GPS - Off

Disabled Apps
    Amazon Kindle