SlimKat umts_spyder build 3.4 2014-03-04 short review

Search This thread

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
Hi

I prepared short review for SlimKat 3.4 unofficial build for XT910 UMTS.
I use it for a last few days and my general impression is positive.
But lets start from beginning...

1. Instalation
I use SafeStrap, so installation process is very easy: create slot, install software and gapps, clean cache and Dalvik cache. That's all.
After booting of phone there is sort setup and phone is ready to work. ALMOST...
After next restart phone stops connecting to network and to fix that problem it is necessary manually delete CellBroadcastReceiver.apk what is very easy because SlimKat is delivered with SlimCenter containing SlimSizer when user can delete any app.
So, delete it, reboot and forget about network connection problems. Why this app is delivered with most of KitKat ROMs for XT910 UMTS I do no understand. All of them have the same problem after rebooting.

2. Daily usage
I use it as my daily driver last days and it worked really good. I noticed just one crash when I used Any.do app but I cannot reproduce it so far.
Battery life is good for me - see BatteryLife.jpg attached. On the other hand I was totally surprised when I charged battery to 102% - see Battery102.jpg - really strange.
I turned system to use ART instead of Dalvik and I haven't noticed any problem so far. Every app I used worked properly. Of course app installation time is a bit longer now, but good information is that apps starts faster.
Call/receive calls - not problem. Sound is clean.
WiFi - I haven't noticed any problem with connection/disconnecting WiFi networks. Everything worked good.
GPS gets position really fat, I was very surprised with that.
SMS sending works properly but I still cannot send any MMS message. Nevermind data transmission is enabled. I does not work. To receive MMS data transmission must be enabled. This is the biggest bug I noticed.
Flip actions to dismiss call or alarm also don't work what confuses me. It worked perfectly in CARBON 4.2.2 version I used for long time.
It looks very strange in action: flip down - no action performed, flip up - phone seems to be blocked for some time and after a few seconds you can finally dismiss alarm or call.
Memory usage is much better than in 4.2.2 ROMs. After boot there is used 434MB and free 405MB of RAM with all of my services and widgets started. Great result.
Bleutooth I didn't test. I use it very seldom and it is not much important to me.
What was new for me - used apps display. It is changed in SlimKat - nice right side panel is displayed with list of used application.

Generally I must say that I like SlimKat. It has all options I really need to use it every day. I'm happy with Real dark option which turns system and most important apps into black theme, performance good enough without replacing kernel, ART support without problems and smoothness of GUI.

I hope that strange battery behavior and MMS sending problems will be fixed in next releases:)

And maybe XT910 will be officially supported by SlimKat team?

Attachments

• BatteryLife.jpg
    BatteryLife.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Battery102.jpg
    Battery102.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Reactions: Wyneg

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
98236896 45

Hi

1. Instalation
I use SafeStrap, so installation process is very easy: create slot, install software and gapps, clean cache and Dalvik cache. That's all.
After booting of phone there is sort setup and phone is ready to work. ALMOST...
After next restart phone stops connecting to network and to fix that problem it is necessary manually delete CellBroadcastReceiver.apk what is very easy because SlimKat is delivered with SlimCenter containing SlimSizer when user can delete any app.
So, delete it, reboot and forget about network connection problems. Why this app is delivered with most of KitKat ROMs for XT910 UMTS I do no understand. All of them have the same problem after rebooting.

2. Daily usage
I use it as my daily driver last days and it worked really good. I noticed just one crash when I used Any.do app but I cannot reproduce it so far.
Battery life is good for me - see BatteryLife.jpg attached. On the other hand I was totally surprised when I charged battery to 102% - see Battery102.jpg - really strange.
I turned system to use ART instead of Dalvik and I haven't noticed any problem so far. Every app I used worked properly. Of course app installation time is a bit longer now, but good information is that apps starts faster.
WiFi - I haven't noticed any problem with connection/disconnecting WiFi networks. Everything worked good.
SMS sending works properly but I still cannot send any MMS message. Nevermind data transmission is enabled. I does not work. To receive MMS data transmission must be enabled. This is the biggest bug I noticed.
Flip actions to dismiss call or alarm also don't work what confuses me. It worked perfectly in CARBON 4.2.2 version I used for long time.
It looks very strange in action: flip down - no action performed, flip up - phone seems to be blocked for some time and after a few seconds you can finally dismiss alarm or call.
Memory usage is much better than in 4.2.2 ROMs. After boot there is used 434MB and free 405MB of RAM with all of my services and widgets started. Great result.
Bleutooth I didn't test. I use it very seldom and it is not much important to me.
What was new for me - used apps display. It is changed in SlimKat - nice right side panel is displayed with list of used application.

Generally I must say that I like SlimKat. It has all options I really need to use it every day. I'm happy with Real dark option which turns system and most important apps into black theme, performance good enough without replacing kernel, ART support without problems and smoothness of GUI.

I hope that strange battery behavior and MMS sending problems will be fixed in next releases:)

Small update:
MMS issue: installing 8sms application solves problem. Probably Messaging app does not resize image and whole MMS message is declined by network as too big.

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
SlimKat umts_spyder build 3.6 2014-03-09

I performed dirty flash of SlimKat 3.6 over SlimKat 3.4 - no problems.
Everything works as it worked before. I haven't noticed any new problems.
I'm still not happy with bad flip actions support but that this problem exists in every of tested KK ROMs - looks it is general malfunction.
Waiting for new version...

roscored1000

Sep 18, 2012
bluetooth

Hi I would be curious to know if the bluetooth works, in particular in the car. also if the bluetooth has any problems pairing and keeping the pair when you change from flight mode to normal, if you have to pair again or not . thanks for the review

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
Hi

I have tested bluetooth with other phone and headset and haven't noticed any problems. You do not have to pair devices again after going off flight mode.

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
SlimKat 3.8 upgrade

Hi

I performed dirty flash to SlimKat 3.8 without problems. CellBroadcastReceiver.apk is still delivered so you have to delete it manually to get rid of cell connection problems
After that device works good. Still great memory management:)
I noticed that problems with flip actions seems to be almost resolved and now I can dismiss call and alarm flipping down my phone.
For calls it works immediately but for alarms I need to perform flip down - flip up - flip down and after some delay alarm is dismissed.
What I'd like to see in SlimKat are Performance options in settings. Of course I can install some app to manipulate processor settings and governors but I think this should be part of system delivery.
And, of course, XT910 is still not supported officially, so forget OTA.

Last edited:
Reactions: apturic

MadZed

Mar 29, 2014
I used SlimKat for a while and I found it REALLY FAST AND SMOOTH! I reccommend it!

Now I'm installing the 4.0 build and we'll see how it works

the only problem I experienced: when discharging completely to "0%"...my phone resets itself, quite strange/frustrating...

bcbarco

Mar 29, 2014
hello

I installed 4.4.2 build 4 and I got the network problem and after i deleted the cellbroadcast.. it worked!! but now i have a problem with the hotspot ;( my brother tried to connect but he couldn't ;( do you know what to do to solve this little problem?

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
I havent tried wifi tethering before (no need) but it looks problem exists. I also cannot connect to established hotspot (I still on 3.8). I remember that there was tethering problem on beginning of work on kitkat custom roms for Razr device but it was fixed long time ago.

lexor1969

Nov 14, 2013
I havent tried wifi tethering before (no need) but it looks problem exists. I also cannot connect to established hotspot (I still on 3.8). I remember that there was tethering problem on beginning of work on kitkat custom roms for Razr device but it was fixed long time ago.

Hello, 1st post here :) I LOVE Slimkat for our Razr, I've been running the latest updates in slot 1 for months and for the last few days I've run the latest build in the stock slot and love it even more.

But I have to agree that AP / hotspot / wifi tether is not working anymore. It was working fine for a while there -- here are notes in the update log:

29DEC2013 - CM's netd code "hopefully fixes wifi tether" [I think it started working around here for the 1st time]
09FEB2014 - "mobile hotspot fixed" [might have broke again along the line ? ]

In the last 2 builds (20MAR2014 first then tried 27MAR2014 both as dirty flash and then fresh in slot 1), I can create a hotspot but nothing can join. Too bad because I really make use of it, hope it gets fixed again soon :)

And thx to original poster for posting a quality review of what is one of the best ROMs for our classic spyder.

Last edited:

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
After a week on SlimKat 4.0 i have to say that it is really solid and stable. Wifi tethering is known problem (reported to dev forum). I also noticed that my favourite governor "hotplug" is no longer supported and battery usage over night is now 4% instead of 2% I used to. I'm not sure hotplugging is supported by interactive or ondemand governors. I think I'll try to use JBX kernel with SlimKat and see how good it is. If you have any experiences, plz share with me.

rys1908

Feb 13, 2014
Szczecin
Finally I tested SlimKat with JBX kernel (only battery saver enabled) and I havent noticed any better bsttery life. There was even worse than without it: 5-6% over night consumption when phone did nothing. I also played with governors enabled in JBX what almost every time caused system hanging.
So, finally I resign of JBX and made decision to give another chsnce to Carbon Rom that was my daily driver for months (release 4.2.2).

I must say I'm surprised how good is Carbon now - I remember first 4.4 releases. Everything seems to work properly including tethering. What is quite important for UMTS razor users we can disable CellBroadcastReceiver in settings - no need to delete it and restart phone.
There is one feature I love especially: lockscreen notifications. This is killer feature for me.
What is also important for me, Hotplug governor is enabled in kernel and again I have overnight usage 2-3%.
I must say I'm currently very satisfied with Carbon Rom. Looks it became my daily driver again.

Last edited:

Wyneg

Sep 15, 2014
Santiago
www.blaze.cl
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi

1. Instalation

2. Daily usage

Hi!

I installed Slimkat version 7.0 stable and my cell phone (S3 I9300) lost network connection randomly. Duration of connection is 1 - 2 seconds max. If I delete CellBroadcastReceiver.apk as you say, network connection will be stable, without disconnect randomly?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

1. Instalation

2. Daily usage

SlimKat 3.8 upgrade

Hi

I performed dirty flash to SlimKat 3.8 without problems. CellBroadcastReceiver.apk is still delivered so you have to delete it manually to get rid of cell connection problems
    After that device works good. Still great memory management:)
    I noticed that problems with flip actions seems to be almost resolved and now I can dismiss call and alarm flipping down my phone.
    For calls it works immediately but for alarms I need to perform flip down - flip up - flip down and after some delay alarm is dismissed.
    What I'd like to see in SlimKat are Performance options in settings. Of course I can install some app to manipulate processor settings and governors but I think this should be part of system delivery.
    And, of course, XT910 is still not supported officially, so forget OTA.