Note on T-Mobile after flashing T-Mobile radio still not 4G speeds

Search This thread

eastbayarb

Apr 14, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Looks like the aluminum tape did the trick. I get 4g speeds at home and other places (still some bad spots, but that is to be expected). Thanks so much for all your help. The only gripe I have now is the battery life isn't so great, even with my 5400mah extended battery...

sashusmom

May 10, 2008
North Jersey
I have the foil tape installed, flapp's ics rom, one of the hacked modems- not sure which one and don't know how to find out(hint-hint), on tmo 4g monthly plan, and my download speeds are anywhere from 5-10 in north jersey. Upload not so hot- .3-.5 mbps. Same phone in NYC- really poor tmo speeds- less than 1 down- like .2-.3, and .02up. Same phone in same area on att lte blew me away. DL and UL in the red!!!

I don't have lte in jersey, so I went with t-mo for the cheaper plan. Doesn't work well in NYC.

kellyra

Apr 25, 2012
try this

im in va and i had the same problem if u dail *#2263# u will get options choose option 2 its WCDMA BAND PREFERENCE when u select that the u will see options from 1 thru 6 select 6 thats WCDMA ALL after that u will get better speeds it work for me

dahprophit

Nov 20, 2010
*#2263# > WCDMA > 1700

works for t-mobile

but on my straight talk tmobile sim i use WCDMA ALL and i get almost 15mbps down 4G

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
For about 1/2 an hour I got HSPA+42 download speeds!!

This is crazy. I have that AT&T Galaxy Note and I'm using it on T-mobile in New York. I installed the h0tw1r3 release 6 CM9 (unofficial) rom and the blaze ics radio (both from the AT&T Galaxy Note Development section of this forum) and was averaging about 4mbps on the download and about .2mbps on the upload. I was playing around installing different roms and radios combinations and got a lot of varying results but the unofficial cm9 rom with the blaze ics radio was by far my best results.

On yesterday, I installed the TeamWin Recovery (I originally had the non-touch clockword mod recovery on the phone), and installed the following 5 zip files in this order: darkside super wipe, h0tw1r3 release 6 CM9 (unofficial) rom (the developer actually recommends using TeamWin Recovey to install this rom), gapps (4/29/12 version), ics blaze radio, darkside cache wipe. All of a sudden I was getting download speeds as high as 18mbps and upload speeds as high as 3.5mbps (about what I was getting on my T-mobile Galaxy S2 - an HSPA+42 device!). To make sure it was real and not just a fluke reading, I went into the Google Play store and downloaded A 13MB app. It downloaded in about 5 or 6 seconds tops. That made me know it was real.

I decided to do a complete backup via TeamWin Recovery because I didn't want to lose the settings that got me to these speeds (after spending hours and days on this). After the backup, for no reason that I know of, the speeds dropped back to what they were (4mbps on the upload and .2mbps on the download). I tried doing everything again from the top to see if I could get back the high speeds but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce those results (disappointing).

However, I'm convinced that the AT&T Galaxy Note can get HSPA+42 speeds. We know in theory it should be able to do it based on the hardware (qualcomm dual core processor and the lte band 1700/2100 which can handle HSPA+) but it just was not happening for me (except momentarily as mentioned above). Perhaps when the T-Mobile Galaxy Note comes out (next month, we hope), a developer will be able to port the rom and the radio from it over to the AT&T Galaxy Note and get us stable HSPA+42 speeds (I don't plan to buy the t-mobile galaxy note after having already bought the at&t version). Furthermore, if T-Mobile goes thru with their plan to refarm frequencies 1900 for HSPA+ and 1700/2100 for LTE, then the AT&T Galaxy Note would be perfect on T-Mobile since it already has those frequencies.

If anyone has figured out how to achieve the high speeds on a consistent basis now, please let us know. Also if anyone wants to try what I did and let us know the outcome, it would be appreciated. Like everyone else, I do not take responsibility for anyone trying this and bricking their device. None of the files are mine. They are all in the development section of the forum. Your mileage may vary.

delacrow

Apr 7, 2012
Had you tried this (from development thread)? Made no difference for me on miui rom, but I will try again.
first of all thanks so much for you effort with these modem files. Many of us have had to wait months for this.

#1. install your flavor of ICS i'm using one. Clean install, whipe chache, delvic and battery. DO NOT INSTALL THE MODEM FILE
#2. get out of install mode CWM and let it load normally
#3. when fully loaded restart phone and go into CWM and install the modem file
#4. when in ICS on the numberpad type *#2263# and select cdma, 1700, 1700 then hit menu and select END
#5. then go into market and download a tool called Hiapn global
start the app, click "click to DNS check" hit yes, grant superuser permission
#6. go down and select WCDMA perfered, tun on IMS, Turn on SMS over IMS, turn on LTE dump, click refresh and update, and toggle DNS check.
#7. VERY IMPORTANT CLICK "TURN OFF ANTENNA" wait 20 seconds and hit it again to "TURN ON ANTENNA"
get out of the application and you should be good to go no matter what service you use, i'm on MOBILICITY in Surrey, BC, Canada.

Thanks i hope this helps you :)

Update 6/11/2012 12:45 : ok everything is working great with the blaze modem. one major issue if you are in a place with bad signal the manual searching message will pop up ever 1 second nonestop, no way to stop it so far. it will overlay every program and even games

TJBunch1228

Feb 6, 2010
This is crazy. I have that AT&T Galaxy Note and I'm using it on T-mobile in New York. I installed the h0tw1r3 release 6 CM9 (unofficial) rom and the blaze ics radio (both from the AT&T Galaxy Note Development section of this forum) and was averaging about 4mbps on the download and about .2mbps on the upload. I was playing around installing different roms and radios combinations and got a lot of varying results but the unofficial cm9 rom with the blaze ics radio was by far my best results.

On yesterday, I installed the TeamWin Recovery (I originally had the non-touch clockword mod recovery on the phone), and installed the following 5 zip files in this order: darkside super wipe, h0tw1r3 release 6 CM9 (unofficial) rom (the developer actually recommends using TeamWin Recovey to install this rom), gapps (4/29/12 version), ics blaze radio, darkside cache wipe. All of a sudden I was getting download speeds as high as 18mbps and upload speeds as high as 3.5mbps (about what I was getting on my T-mobile Galaxy S2 - an HSPA+42 device!). To make sure it was real and not just a fluke reading, I went into the Google Play store and downloaded A 13MB app. It downloaded in about 5 or 6 seconds tops. That made me know it was real.

I decided to do a complete backup via TeamWin Recovery because I didn't want to lose the settings that got me to these speeds (after spending hours and days on this). After the backup, for no reason that I know of, the speeds dropped back to what they were (4mbps on the upload and .2mbps on the download). I tried doing everything again from the top to see if I could get back the high speeds but, unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce those results (disappointing).

However, I'm convinced that the AT&T Galaxy Note can get HSPA+42 speeds. We know in theory it should be able to do it based on the hardware (qualcomm dual core processor and the lte band 1700/2100 which can handle HSPA+) but it just was not happening for me (except momentarily as mentioned above). Perhaps when the T-Mobile Galaxy Note comes out (next month, we hope), a developer will be able to port the rom and the radio from it over to the AT&T Galaxy Note and get us stable HSPA+42 speeds (I don't plan to buy the t-mobile galaxy note after having already bought the at&t version). Furthermore, if T-Mobile goes thru with their plan to refarm frequencies 1900 for HSPA+ and 1700/2100 for LTE, then the AT&T Galaxy Note would be perfect on T-Mobile since it already has those frequencies.

If anyone has figured out how to achieve the high speeds on a consistent basis now, please let us know. Also if anyone wants to try what I did and let us know the outcome, it would be appreciated. Like everyone else, I do not take responsibility for anyone trying this and bricking their device. None of the files are mine. They are all in the development section of the forum. Your mileage may vary.

The only variable in your setup that has any impact on data and speed is the blaze radio. I can't see how your recovery or ROM could have contributed to your crazy jump in speed. Maybe it was just a total fluke and the tower suddenly put out a ton of speed for a few minutes. I wish you could replicate it.

Either way, I agree, I think we'll get faster and more consistent speeds once a dev ports the tmo software over to us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
TJBunch1228,

I totally agree with you which is why it's crazy. I also know that you can get bursts of speed at times but I know this was not just a burst of speed. I got consistent download speeds in excess of 10mbps. The burst may have been 18mbps. Uploads were consistently over 2mbps. The burst may have been 3.5mbps. But I got the consistent speeds for about 45 minutes. I was actually surprised that after doing a backup, I reboot my phone and the speeds were gone and never came back. So I'm back to experimenting. I can't wait for the T-mobile version (not to buy the phone but to see if we can get the modem that may actually produce consistent fast speeds instead of this constant flashing and testing - it's getting stale).

curgervending

Mar 7, 2007
New York
Update to my previous post

I'm starting to believe that the faster speeds I get (when I actually get them) are the result of T-Mobile testing HSPA+42 on the 1900 band. I'm thinking that my higher speeds are actually being achieved in the 1900 band and not the 1700/2100 AWS band.

T-Mobile has stated that they started performing small scale tests of HSPA+42 in the 1900 frequency on various towers across the country (as they prepare to refarm their network). I live in NY and drive a lot between Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. I hit certain spots where my download/upload speeds are 12-15mbps / 2-3mbps. It lasts for perhaps a mile or less of travel then drops back to 2-5mbps / 0.1-0.3mbps. This happens without me flashing a new radio, without rebooting or doing anything to the phone. I found this out by performing internet speed tests on the phone as I travel around the city in my vehicle.

I'm persuaded that, as my phone hands off from one tower to another, my speeds are being affected based on whether or not T-Mobile has HSPA+42 enabled in the 1900 band at that particular tower. I certainly stand to be corrected. However, it seems logical to me that if I were getting the higher speeds in the 1700/2100 AWS band on the phone then I should be getting it consistently everywhere I go (which it isn't happening). T-Mobile has HSPA+42 on the 1700/2100 AWS band enabled all over the place where I live and work. When I had my T-mobile Galaxy S2 (an HSPA+42 device on the 1700/2100 AWS frequency), I was getting 12-18mbps / 2-3mbps (up / down) all the time no matter where I was in Brookyln, Queens or Manhattan. With my AT&T Galaxy Note on T-Mobile, I get those speeds at a few distinct locations and much slower speeds most everywhere else. Anyone experiencing anything similar (or different)? I'm curious to know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try that setup hope this helps did wonders for me I was on the same boat as u. After flashing rom and radio press *#2263# and select automatic band wcdma don't force 1700 that made my data very unstable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

This. Also *#301279# and select 2 change then select 6 HSDPA/HSUPA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    What would happen if I force hspa+ in that menu
    Is that the same as forcing 1700 band in the *#2263#?
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

Nothing really. I just get more stable data connection/speed with Release 6.
    So since it's a hardware issue, would it work if I took the antenna from the t989 or the upcoming Tmobile Note and put it in my Note?

I have a T989 and swapped the main antenna lead to use the T989 antenna on the Note, it was hard to test but I didnt see much improvement. The antennas are physically different between the two units.

If I am correct, the real fix is to purchase the correct antenna. Since detuning the stock antenna with foil improves data throughput, I feel that this is the best solution.

I just switched to At&t last week as I needed international data for this month while I'm in Europe and so far my At&t speeds are half that of T-Mobile with the foil. I'll tweak when I get home, as I just flashed the CM9 rom so I have something to play with while I'm away.