[Q] Galaxy Note Screen Issues!!!

Search This thread

freedomispopular

Apr 25, 2011
Are there people that DON'T have that halo on the calculator? As far as I can tell, it seems to just be part of the app. If you put it in landscape, that halo I'd still there, just elongated.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

maaarius

Nov 22, 2010
Have anyone gotten a Note without screen issues? Got hue/tint and black clipping issues, but I guess this is on all phones with pentile screens? At least I don't have any dead pixels, so I rather not change for a new phone if all the problems still there.

Last edited:

shchiam1978

May 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Mine too. But it doesn't bother me much. I swap my phone before due to pinkish screen issue. You wont notice it until you lower down the brightness to 0% and open browser or any apps with white background. You will notice the screen color change from normal white to pinkish and bluish

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

LunyAlex

May 23, 2012
Sorry if this has been addressed before in the thread, but the search function isn't finding anything on the matter.

My Note is suffering from the clipping issue pretty strongly, except for when it's in Dolphin. I've yet to see clipping of Any sort in Dolphin HD Browser.
Is this the case for everyone? And if so, any idea why this is?
I've heard the idea that Dolphin doesn't start blacks from 0, but they look like very deep blacks to me.

fluoxethine

Feb 16, 2012
So here is a html file generated in OpenOffice with four columns representing greys, red, green and blue color. To test your display open it in various browsers and check where all columns start. It is easier to distinguish barely seen cells by zooming in and checking if there is a contrast between black number and background.

For example in Opera my display starts with visible cells at: 4, 3, 2, 4 respectively.

Banding can be seen for example in green where cells have same color. On my display it is:
2 = 3
4 = 5 = 6.

Firefox is 16 bit, so there are blocks of cells - cells from 0-3, 4-7, 8-11 and so on have the same color. Also there is green tint in the first column in cells 44-47 and 52-55 for example. Dolphin HD behaves same as Opera.

Last edited:

swavab

Jul 20, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sorry to ask guys..can any one differentiate these words..banding,clipping,black crush..these are same or seperate..? I think me got black crush where contrast black areas are pixelated in gallery and videos..? Is it same with those..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

fluoxethine

Feb 16, 2012
For me it's all the same. We talk about 'black crush' when we consider lowest values of the RGB and 'color banding ' is for all the rest.

On test chart in the previous post viewed on my Note 'black crush' is rectangles numbered:
0-3 for white
0-2 for Red
0-1 for Green
0-3 for Blue

They are just pure black.

For color banding I can find similar sets of a few rectangles which have the same color, but with higher RGB values.

Some people say that black crush was corrected with ICS but not the color banding. You can easily get rid of black crush by rescaling color space and starting from RGB(5,5,5) as black RGB(0,0,0). However IMO it could be better if there was dithering used like in gifs. Unfortunately each display differs in amount of that color banding effect so corrections should be made individually for each display. Probably the user should correct manually the whole color chart presented in my previous post.

Last edited:
Reactions: swavab

climo

Jun 30, 2006
The Woodlands, Texas
Note Pre-purchase

Hey Guys, getting ready to purchase a Note and would like to know if there is quick and easy method to check the screen while I'm in the store. This way I can make sure the screen is good. I already have a SGS2 that has a blueish tint when viewed at an angle and would hate to find out my new note has similar issues with the screen.
I browsed thru a few posts but did not find anything about checking inside the store before purchase..or maybe I missed it.

edit: will this work to check the screen? Turn brightness all the way down, open S Memo app with white background and look for changes in colors when viewed at angles? Or is there another way?

shchiam1978

May 9, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
*#0*#
At the same time lower the screen brightness to 0 and try to check if there's any changes in color.
Test it in dark place.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

indie

Aug 22, 2006
Middlesex
Guys as you all now i was quite active on the thread a while back. I believed there were no good screens out there as i saw 6 different notes bought from various places and countries. They all suffered from the black crush / gamma issue. My wife just got her upgrade from t mobile uk and is a galaxy note and guess what, no issues. This is the first note i have seen. The gamma png test is almost dark all across the left and not just cutt off at 4 during normal light. In pure darkness it is still cut at 4 but again i must stress that during normal use it gradually goes to black on the left but the films are much much better. The iron man sample is also very very good. I firmly believe now this is a hardware issue as this is fine. My note had the screen replaced and still has the issue. My wifes note is perfect.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know exactly what you are talking about, and i have seen it in my device. Do not fear, it is not a hardware fault, and is not caused by your drop:

Go to settings / display and scroll down. You will see 'auto adjust screen power' and when this is checked it seems to cause this, although i agree it is barely noticeable.

I keep mine checked because i prefer the potential power savings
    Stop wasting your time!

Don't take this personally, but GET A REFUND, NOW!

done:
    confirm these problems: had 14 (!!!) notes so far (some 16 gb internal, some 32gb internal, all bought in austria), ALL OF THEM SUFFERED MORE OR LESS FROM THIS PROBLEMS!
    as a technically very skilled person i know what i'm writing about, also on xda-developers.com in the note section are HUGE threads regarding this problems! additionally, there are also problems with unevenness with grey and brown colors, dark blotches and lines (display a black image, go into a dark room and let your eyes accommodate for at least 1 min) ON ALL SCREENS I'VE SEEN SO FAR!!!
    i love my note, BUT THE SCREEN IS C R A P DUE TO MANUFACTURING PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!
    me too will exchange until my screen is worth the money i paid for it, so i'm sure samsung wont earn money on me, AND ITS NOT MY FAULT! regards from austria, markus
    ..anyone can answer if this abrupt transition can be fixed? ..Can it be a software issue that may be solved with a calibration tool, an updated firmware or ICS, or is a hardware constraint?

I can tell is that it's not a hardware issue at all.

All a matter of color profile.
    Just recieved my Note! It's so ****ing awesome! No dead pixels, black and white is superb but there's some banding on grey color, but the Desire HD also has this so big deal! I'm not gonna ruin this device for myself by analyzing every little part of it like you guys do.

Enjoy it, or you know.. not. Your choice.