[Q] Formatting Windows 8

Search This thread

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
Hello all,

I want to format Windows 7 and install Windows 8. I booted from the USB and went to the page where I can select which drives to format. I have 2 1 TB drives. The C drive which has windows and I want to format it and the D drive which has all my back up photos, music and videos. I deleted the system cache which is 100 mb and I don't know which of the two drives is the one that has windows. Is it in an alphabetic order. C drive is first and then D drive is below it?

Sent from my SM-G900H using XDA Free mobile app

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
I know that. But on the installation screen it says Disk 1 and Disk 2. I want to know which of these is Disk C

CoolApps

May 12, 2011
I believe it should say more than that.
Does it say the amount of storage after selecting the disk or anything like that?

CoolApps

May 12, 2011
I would unplug your external(?) storage device (drive D) to see if the first one is the C drive.
Personally, I think the C drive should be on top as it could be in the order by drives.

Uh, the Windows install always displays the drive letter. (Even the pirated ones.) And usually even the name of the drive.

Can you still get to the device manager? If so, it has a partition manager which'll list which drive is which.

If not, boot into BIOS. Check which one is set as the boot device, that one's C:/.

Also, you can disconnect an internal harddrive.. Just open the door and pull out the cable... ;) (I always do that on a Windows install to prevent conflicts and potential data loss. (even on my laptop. My Asus grants full hardware access.).)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
Uh, the Windows install always displays the drive letter. (Even the pirated ones.) And usually even the name of the drive.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

It is not my computer. The menu is like this.

And when I try to go to BIOS is requires a password and my friend says he doesn't know it.

We can't boot the current windows because we deleted the first small partition.

Attachments

• windows-8-clean-install-11.png
    windows-8-clean-install-11.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

om22

Feb 4, 2013
Munich

And when I try to go to BIOS is requires a password and my friend says he doesn't know it.

Make sure you´ve backed up any data you need and delete both partitions. Then click on the unassociated space and select "new". Proceed with the installation.

OH THE SCREEN IS NOT FROM YOUR INSTALLATION? Thought that were you´r partitions -.- Don´t proceed please post a pic of YOUR screen.

om22

Feb 4, 2013
Munich
It is the same like that. I just want to know which of these is drive C. I want only to format drive c and let drive d.

No it's not the same. It depends in which sata plug the harddrive is plugged on your motherboard. It's not alphabetical. Just look at the free space and think how much data you've got on your d:/ that's the only way.

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
No it's not the same. It depends in which sata plug the harddrive is plugged on your motherboard. It's not alphabetical. Just look at the free space and think how much data you've got on your d:/ that's the only way.

Looks like I am out of luck. I've already deleted the small partition which boots up windows so I can't see how much memory each drive has. Thanks anyways

|>/\nte

The "system reserved" partition is the backup one. I have a very similar configuration to that. The partition you want to format is the second, the one that says "primary". Also, windows couldn't be installed in a ~300-400mb partition.

om22

Feb 4, 2013
Munich
The "system reserved" partition is the backup one. I have a very similar configuration to that. The partition you want to format is the second, the one that says "primary". Also, windows couldn't be installed in a ~300-400mb partition.
Nah that´s not his setup that´s only a pic to show what screen he is in.

Thin_Bezel

May 30, 2012
Paris
Nah that´s not his setup that´s only a pic to show what screen he is in.

I'm sorry you are not understanding it. I of course see that free space. But I don't know which of these disks is C. Because when I started to install windows, I didn't go to Computer to see how much free space Disk C has so I can easily recognize it on the installation screen. And I can't check it because I can't boot windows anymore.