[Q] How to Disable Wrong Password Factory Reset?

Search This thread

silentpope

Jul 26, 2014
So, the LG G3 has a "feature" where if you input the wrong password 10 times, it automatically wipes itself and does a factory reset. I wasn't sure whether this was true or not so I tested it.

What a load of horse ****. I need help turning this "feature" off because it's so easy to lose all my data. Not only that, if someone takes my phone, all they have to do to get a clean phone is to input the wrong password 10 times.

silentpope

Jul 26, 2014
LG rep says it can't be disabled. Stupid. I'm still talking to them, I dunno, maybe I can get the customer service to write this down as an actual problem to fix in a future update. If anybody else has this issue, please contact them as well, maybe we can get something done about this.

Or if someone figured out how to fix this in a rooted version, let me know please.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Coycaine

Sep 17, 2011
Reno, NV
That sounds terrible. You might not even have time to use the android device manager to locate it. I wonder if you were to use the device manager to lock it if that would override the feature. In any case, stupid stupid feature.

silentpope

Jul 26, 2014
Verizon said even if somebody resets my phone that way they can't use it on their account. I doubt the truth of that statement but I can't do anything about it. They also said 'talk to LG if you want that fixed' so no help from them, not that I was expecting it. Only option really is to just not let anybody else use my phone. So stupid.

transfo47

Feb 18, 2013
n/a

This has to be the stupidest thing ever. I mean, a factory reset? Why don't they wipe /sdcard while they're at it?

silentpope

Jul 26, 2014
LG rep that replied to my second email was the same guy, copy-paste of the same thing he said earlier.

gcforreal

Sep 3, 2009
It actually does wipe your SD card learned this the hard way yesterday when my son got hold of my phone..wiped the internal storage along with the SD card.. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

Sent from my VS985 4G using XDA Free mobile app

Namtaru

Nov 24, 2008
Good to know, my son loves to play with my phone, I'll have to make sure to keep it out of his hands or else I'm also going to be one pissed off user.

tech_head

Soooooo stupid.
My other phones would allow password recovery via Google.

With this feature/bug it means someone just wanting to piss you off can wipe your phone, if they get hold of it for 20 seconds.

On the HTC M7/M8 you can disable this if you are rooted by setting "devicepolicy_max_fail_passwords_for_wipe = 0" in an XML file.
It has to be doable on this phone.
The lockscreen app has to get it's parameters/information from somewhere.

Last edited:

KassC

Jun 28, 2015
so stupid

Just learned all this the hard way. Daughter got a hold of my phone and everything was wiped, including sd card. I am beyond upset. Why the check wouldn't they let you disable this feature. It is the stupidest thing ever and they need to fix it. Now I have to keep my phone on me at all times. Fix this

tech_head

Just learned all this the hard way. Daughter got a hold of my phone and everything was wiped, including sd card. I am beyond upset. Why the check wouldn't they let you disable this feature. It is the stupidest thing ever and they need to fix it. Now I have to keep my phone on me at all times. Fix this

Root, TWRP, custom ROM.

Reactions: ohlin5

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Does anyone know if this is still an issue on 35B?

as far as the incorrect password too many times, i dont know, but doubt they changed that.
however, there were security upgrades to the 5.1 base from google.
now, if you factory reset with a gmail still on the phone, you must enter the correct password for that email, or you cant use or setup the phone.
so, no, it is no longer possible for someone to take your phone, then wipe it and use it without the gmail password that was attached previously.

what you have to do, say if you want to sell the phone, is remove all your emails BEFORE factory reseting, then the phone is no longer locked to the email, and someone else can set it up without password.

another note,
before someone says, "you can just flash the 35b kdz and bypass it" no you cant, the security is not some file that can be cleaned off. its encoded into the software, and requires communication with googles servers to disable with the password mentioned above.
there is a way to defeat the new security, for now, but as people buy new phones from this point on, there will be no way to defeat this security.
and, no, i will not say how to defeat it currently. its not widely known, and not usual that someone would need to know how to do it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does anyone know if this is still an issue on 35B?

as far as the incorrect password too many times, i dont know, but doubt they changed that.
    however, there were security upgrades to the 5.1 base from google.
    now, if you factory reset with a gmail still on the phone, you must enter the correct password for that email, or you cant use or setup the phone.
    so, no, it is no longer possible for someone to take your phone, then wipe it and use it without the gmail password that was attached previously.

what you have to do, say if you want to sell the phone, is remove all your emails BEFORE factory reseting, then the phone is no longer locked to the email, and someone else can set it up without password.

another note,
    before someone says, "you can just flash the 35b kdz and bypass it" no you cant, the security is not some file that can be cleaned off. its encoded into the software, and requires communication with googles servers to disable with the password mentioned above.
    there is a way to defeat the new security, for now, but as people buy new phones from this point on, there will be no way to defeat this security.
    and, no, i will not say how to defeat it currently. its not widely known, and not usual that someone would need to know how to do it.
    LG rep says it can't be disabled. Stupid. I'm still talking to them, I dunno, maybe I can get the customer service to write this down as an actual problem to fix in a future update. If anybody else has this issue, please contact them as well, maybe we can get something done about this.

Or if someone figured out how to fix this in a rooted version, let me know please.
    I wonder if you were to use the device manager to lock it if that would override the feature.

Nope. Just tried it. It threatened to wipe again.

Root, TWRP, custom ROM.