[Q] PPSSPP emulator slow?

Search This thread

PulpDood

Oct 7, 2010
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have tried running PPSSPP on your z2 yet and if you were having any problems.

I can't seem to get Tekken 6 running at a playable speed (it runs at an average of 65% speed ingame). I can get it to sort of run fine when I turn on 7-8 frameskip, but then of course the framerate suffers to compensate...

I've tried many settings and have made sure that power saving features are deactivated... Could this be z2 specific or am I just missing something (I'm really hoping it's the latter)?

Cheers

P.S. (P?) Fwiw, I can get 3D Android games running fine (e.g. Spiderman 2, Prince of Persia Snf)

pauliebb

Aug 30, 2009
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have tried running PPSSPP on your z2 yet and if you were having any problems.

I can't seem to get Tekken 6 running at a playable speed (it runs at an average of 65% speed ingame). I can get it to sort of run fine when I turn on 7-8 frameskip, but then of course the framerate suffers to compensate...

I've tried many settings and have made sure that power saving features are deactivated... Could this be z2 specific or am I just missing something (I'm really hoping it's the latter)?

Cheers

P.S. (P?) Fwiw, I can get 3D Android games running fine (e.g. Spiderman 2, Prince of Persia Snf)

Ppsspp isn't that optimised yet... You're mistaking emulation with native Android code when talking about running the Android games.

Basically, ppsspp is taking psp game data and translating it to Android code to make it run... Every single bit of data.

This requires huuuuge cpu usage and is the reason it's so slow.

Tl : dr: no... It isn't yet possible to run most psp games at full speed, especially not extensive 3d ones like tekken.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium HD app

PulpDood

Oct 7, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I totally understand emulators will never be 100% compatible and perfect, even on high end computers just as lossy compression will never be a prefect representation of the original product.

But after some internetting, I found that PPSSPP seems to be able to run at least Tekken 6 at what seems to be close enough to original speed on most mid-high range phones. Examples:

Tkn6 on SGS3: http://youtu.be/t4lw0OexO3Y

Crisis Core FF7 on latest HTC M8 (which has pretty much the same processor as the z2): http://youtu.be/8mH1Z2cebpY

And many more videos of phones running Tkn6 just fine: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=y...Z04H4BQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=348&bih=409&dpr=3

TL;DR: PPSSPP seems to run Tekken 6 and graphically similar games fine on most phones, even those with inferior as well as similar specs to ze Z2, yet I can't seem to replicate anything close to the same speed let alone the same. :/

I bet there's just a setting that I stupidly forgot to change somewhere... Might try downloading Crisis Core and see how that goes.

EDIT: Hmm actually it seems Crisis Core runs fine. Guess it still could be the new CPU/GPU.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

pauliebb

Aug 30, 2009
Wow... That s3 video of tekken6... I'm amazed.

Did you try replicating his settings shown at the beginning?

If not it could simply be that it isn't ready to use our phones full power yet and just got to wait for a few updates.

Or something somewhere is bogging the cpu down

xsacha

Sep 18, 2008
Wow... That s3 video of tekken6... I'm amazed.

Did you try replicating his settings shown at the beginning?

If not it could simply be that it isn't ready to use our phones full power yet and just got to wait for a few updates.

Or something somewhere is bogging the cpu down

Hi, I'm a PPSSPP developer and I'd just like to say that Tekken 6 is one of the hardest PSP games to emulate along with God of War.
You definitely need to have the latest version of PPSSPP from the download page, ppsspp.org/download and not just the one on Play Store. You also need to make sure you have the settings that this person was using in his video. Turn on all those speed hacks and make sure you're not turning on extra graphical effects.
Many of those settings aren't enabled by default like using multi-threading, disabling fog,.. They make a huge difference.
Then it will run at full speed.

Tekken 5 runs much faster by the way. You will be able to run it full speed without any speed hacks and will even be able to run it in Full HD with large textures.

Last edited:

pipobsv

May 9, 2014
Hi, none of the multiple combination of settings helps me to run this game, Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix on Xperia Z2 ppsspp gold 1.0.1
What should I do?

Enviado desde mi D6503 mediante Tapatalk