Please Help!! Stylus not locking

Search This thread

nannlp

Jan 23, 2006
Hello,

I bought the XDA IIs from a friend of mine in the U.K a month ago.

Everything works fine except that the STYLUS DOES NOT LOCK on to the groove provided behind the phone.

No matter how hard I push in it just would lock!!!

It was locking fine just an hour ago!!

After I charged the XDA IIs through a hotsync cable this problem seems to have arised.

Is there anything I can do at home to rectify the problem.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S - I have tried with a new pair of styli though and even they wouldn't lock in.!!!

arieltools

Sep 12, 2005
Same problem here :(

I have learned to use it without the "pen". Losed two already! :oops:

nannlp said:
Hello,

I bought the XDA IIs from a friend of mine in the U.K a month ago.

Everything works fine except that the STYLUS DOES NOT LOCK on to the groove provided behind the phone.

No matter how hard I push in it just would lock!!!

It was locking fine just an hour ago!!

After I charged the XDA IIs through a hotsync cable this problem seems to have arised.

Is there anything I can do at home to rectify the problem.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

P.S - I have tried with a new pair of styli though and even they wouldn't lock in.!!!

nannlp

Jan 23, 2006
YES!!

:lol: Fingers work better than the PEN

AND leads to a form of exercise too... :wink:

The only drawback being while typing multiple letters get punched & b'comes a pain to delete them all :evil:

arieltools

Sep 12, 2005
Re: YES!!

Could be VERY "handy" to have more "finger-optimized" options on the screen... I now really find the "stick" a ver slowww "extra". :roll:

nannlp said:
:lol: Fingers work better than the PEN

AND leads to a form of exercise too... :wink:

The only drawback being while typing multiple letters get punched & b'comes a pain to delete them all :evil:

nannlp

Jan 23, 2006
finger optimization

huh !!! you could do something like a more finger friendly usage with XDA IIs!??? :shock:

How do you do that? :eek:

HELP!!!1

THANK YOU

jamesluo

Dec 6, 2004
what i did is open the back housing, put rubber sticker inside the place where stylus stay. now is tighter than before.

ronzino

Nov 7, 2006
Rome
Hello

same problem, but realy easy to fix.

You have to use insulating tape (sorry, i don't know if this is the correct english name. This tape is used for insulating two elettrical wires connected togheter.)

So, you have to cut about 4mm x 1.5cm of this tape and then you have to turn around it on the top of your stylus.

This will produce a little gain of soft thickness right in the place where the stylus is in contact with your PDA.

My stylus slot was broken about one year ago: i used this insulating tape, and i have never lost my stylus.

follow some pictures... i have used white insulating tape in order to produce cleat photos: of course, you have to use black tape, as you can see in the last picture

Last edited:

almunday

May 29, 2009
May need to modify length of tape, so experiment

Thank you Ronzino for this idea . I am now trying it out and it seems very good and yes, we do call it insulating tape in English btw, (at least in UK English).

I think it depends on the thickness of the insulating tape used, but I have found that I needed to cut the tape a bit shorter, for the stylus to fit. So it is worth experimenting on this.

I am guessing that the glue might soften in very hot weather, causing the tape to slide a bit, and make a bit of a mess, but this seems a minor problem compared to having to open uo my Blue Angel, which I reluctant to try. One can always clean up and use a fresh bit of tape.

I dare say it might be handy if manufacturers could perhaps produce stylus' in a way that overcomes this problem. One stylus I have seen has a small, rear springed, ball bearing inset on one side of it which would solve this problem. Unfortunately they do not seem to do these with the Blue Angel pecs in mind though.

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
Thank you Ronzino for this idea . I am now trying it out and it seems very good and yes, we do call it insulating tape in English btw, (at least in UK English).

I think it depends on the thickness of the insulating tape used, but I have found that I needed to cut the tape a bit shorter, for the stylus to fit. So it is worth experimenting on this.

I am guessing that the glue might soften in very hot weather, causing the tape to slide a bit, and make a bit of a mess, but this seems a minor problem compared to having to open uo my Blue Angel, which I reluctant to try. One can always clean up and use a fresh bit of tape.

I dare say it might be handy if manufacturers could perhaps produce stylus' in a way that overcomes this problem. One stylus I have seen has a small, rear springed, ball bearing inset on one side of it which would solve this problem. Unfortunately they do not seem to do these with the Blue Angel pecs in mind though.

This was suggested a while back (in fact, there was something about this in the wiki). For the most part, the section of the casing in charge of holding the stylus in place gets warped/cracked from use. Making the body of the stylus thicker allows the center to be locked rather than the top. Not sure about the glue, but for this to go bad, temps have to be rather high...

B-44

Aug 31, 2011
Starkenburg
www.B-44.de
Instead of wrapping tape around your stylus, you can also take a 4x6mm piece of soft rubber and stick it inside the housing just behind the hook which should hold the pen.
You need 1,5mm material, if the hook is still there and you just want to improve the tightnes of your clasp, and 3-4mm if it is gone.

edit: replaced the missing clasp by using some piece of nylon- attached pic shows where i've taken it from. Glued this tiny part into the bay of the broken clasp and placed some mossrubber behind it as described above.
Works really good, and no tape smearing around in your housing;)
(Note: don't use cyanacrylate, it's like cancer to our housing...)

Attachments

• SX66Clip.jpg
    SX66Clip.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: