[CLOSED][BOUNTY] New Root Method Exploit - ACHIEVED!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
If someone were to get a developer version of the phone, couldn't they figure out the signature needed to create a program to unlock it. Sounds a little to easy, but if you think about it might work.
So easy it doesnt work lol. if it did, we wouldve had an unlocked BL since dev ed was out.

Reactions: kprice8

radpp16

Sep 6, 2011
Is it worth it to start a new campaign for lollipop? Im not liking the whole safestrap, busybox, appopss, etc....process to get root.

Personally, I don't think so. It works and once you have root, does it matter that it was a mild pain in the ass? It's not like we have to re-do it on a regular basis. What I would like to see, though, is someone to figure out how to get Safestrap working on Lollipop without having to swap kernels through Odin.

- Ivan
Enjoy the show!

Reactions: gedavis

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Is it worth it to start a new campaign for lollipop? Im not liking the whole safestrap, busybox, appopss, etc....process to get root.

appopss? that has nothing to do with rooting 5.0 lol.

and this whole busybox and safestrap thing is how weve managed the entire time on the s5?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 AM ----------

Personally, I don't think so. It works and once you have root, does it matter that it was a mild pain in the ass? It's not like we have to re-do it on a regular basis. What I would like to see, though, is someone to figure out how to get Safestrap working on Lollipop without having to swap kernels through Odin.

- Ivan
Enjoy the show!

agreed but gl on the ss part seeing as how hashcode said he wasnt going to work on it anymore immediately after first release for us and hasnt been around since to my knowledge

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Please stay on topuc only all other discussion or conversation belongs elsewhere.

Edfunkycold
Have a great day!

Demiurge7

Nov 17, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Hahaha some of these "pledges" you can easily buy an Intl fully unlocked one

Seriously? Did you miss the post right before yours? You realize you are in the Verizon forum right? You know that these "pledges" were for root, which was achieved nearly a year ago, when international devices were not available - let alone for the prices they go for now?

As a rule of thumb; Don't "easily" buy an international carrier-unlocked phone, without verifying the bands are compatible with your carrier.

I don't know if I have any authority for such a request, but if so I would like to request this thread be closed. I think its clearly run its course, achieved its goal, and now has overall brought in too much troll behavior. With the new wave of phones around the corner, this will only become dated anyhow. If someone would like to open a separate thread for LP, or for unlocking, by all means. I very much appreciate the help, the mods, and to those who contributed positively to the thread.

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Seriously? Did you miss the post right before yours? You realize you are in the Verizon forum right? You know that these "pledges" were for root, which was achieved nearly a year ago, when international devices were not available - let alone for the prices they go for now?

As a rule of thumb; Don't "easily" buy an international carrier-unlocked phone, without verifying the bands are compatible with your carrier.

I don't know if I have any authority for such a request, but if so I would like to request this thread be closed. I think its clearly run its course, achieved its goal, and now has overall brought in too much troll behavior. With the new wave of phones around the corner, this will only become dated anyhow. If someone would like to open a separate thread for LP, or for unlocking, by all means. I very much appreciate the help, the mods, and to those who contributed positively to the thread.

As the OP of the thread, you have every right to ask that the thread be closed. You can click the report triangle in the lower left corner of the troll post above your last post or your first post in the thread and ask that the thread be closed. Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have come to claim my prize
    Full root on AT&T and Verizon S5

See towelroot.com

And the thread at:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157
    Samsung Galaxy S5

aQmpOr9.jpg

All credit, and a personal thanks goes out to open1your1eyes0 for the use of his S4 Bounty template here.

I put priority on getting this up quickly - so pretty directly used his format to get the bounty thread up and running.

Bounty Details

While other S5 variants have been fortunate enough to receive root (and on some, unlocked BL) upon release day, we over here on the Verizon have had the unfortunate experience of ever-increasing doubt in whether root will be achieved on our device. As the logical (and expected) progression from the S4, the S5 is locked down tighter than a drum - and the consensus on this device is that root would be worthy of higher accolades, than what root and unlocked bootloaders would have garnished in past Galaxy devices. I would like to personally offer a $500 bounty to the first person able to find or create a method, exploit, or unlock that allows us to fully root and provide the necessary steps for rooting the Verizon (and now, ATT) Galaxy S5 here on XDA. I am hoping this bounty, as with any others that choose to pledge here, would be a helpful motivation to the developers willing to invest the time and effort in helping us unlock the potential of this great new device. Or (where applicable) that this bounty will be a humble counter-offer to other potential sources of revenue for such work.

As the level of difficulty increases with each new device, the level of appreciation and admiration for those willing to find (and help find) such exploits increases exponentially. I cannot express my gratitude enough, for those who choose to tackle such an endeavor. In this vein, I would highly encourage any and all VZW/ATT S5 users to consider pledging a donation towards the efforts in helping us achieve this first-step. Please consider chipping in to this bounty, as this can only help increase our chances - and will help keep our variant in the minds of those who are willing and capable of finding an exploit. Those who want to help find an exploit, such as myself, but that lack the knowledge and experience in linux/java - this is your opportunity to help by contributing within your means. To reemphasize; this bounty is for achieving a root method/exploit only, and will apply to an unlock that precedes an explicit root method.

Greatly looking forward to anyone interested in becoming a candidate in this challenge to find a means for root.

***Root Achieved!***

Huge thanks to @Geohot for his brilliant work and ease-of-use method. If you have not pledged, please consider donating to help keep Geohot interested in our devices:

geohot@gmail.com if the tool works for you.
    I also have a bitcoin: 1DFhk6fs26AafaNiQyEgdGM7NSaLzVN2VE​

Requirements

1. Be the first person to create or find a method to achieve the following:
      • Exploiting a fully stock VRU1ANCG build to gain root access
    2. Make a post in this thread with the following:
      • Proving it works with appropriate photos and/or screenshots
      • Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow
    3. Wait for at least one member to follow the same method and confirm it works the same on their fully stock device with VRU1ANCG build
    4. Claim your bounty via PM from pledger(s)

Payment will be processed between each member and the bounty collector via PM on an individual basis.

List of Pledges

• Demiurge7 - $500
    • waleed300 - $100
    • ks3rv3rg - $500 (Increased)
    • open1your1eyes0 - $100
    • Lodaserves - $100
    • bagery77 - $100
    • jideay - $100 (increased)
    • sureshot007 - $50
    • Sharpie603 - $100
    • C0mbe - $2000 (increased, both variants)
    • jpmcnown - $200
    • xgerryx - $35
    • vmod32 - $10
    • Syn Ack - $50
    • catfishbillyhere - $50
    • bluremi - $50
    • mtown_cyclone - $25
    • sipple31 -$25
    • dcd17 - $40 (ATT)
    • buci1er - $100
    • johnpaul530 - $25
    • npos - $50
    • x3em - $250
    • LeKtRiCzzz - $500 (ATT - increased again +1)
    • fpatano - $30
    • lenwink - $100
    • Gaijin42 - $25
    • droidiac13 - $100 (ATT)
    • skadeb87 - $40
    • kprice8 - $100
    • alexstoriu - $25
    • mkitchin - $20
    • blue79 - $125 (increased)
    • theneedhamwrath - $50
    • kenkamm - $50
    • n2ishun - $50
    • namroc - $50 (increased)
    • sd_N - $50
    • Jihoonie - $25
    • shojus - $20
    • smknutson - $35 (ATT)
    • JBeXX - $30
    • 2Noob4U - $30
    • cciechad - $50 (ATT)
    • ks2332 - $350 (ATT)
    • jayv81 - $25 (ATT)
    • TrevM3 - $50 (ATT)
    • karmuh - $100 (ATT)
    • kiroiv - $100
    • iHTC - $25
    • yoonus - $25 (ATT)
    • Mistertac - $25
    • brivette007 - $20 (ATT)
    • Biff0rz - $20 (ATT)
    • Rabid_Iguana - $25
    • kheltek - $25 (ATT)
    • Mnorton1228 - $25
    • SD_GHz - $50
    • yokopol - $20 (ATT)
    • Triskite - $50
    • sugerdroid - $35 (ATT)
    • tjbchs - $100
    • Simer03 - (revoked pledge)
    • Smokncars - $50
    • greatnesstx - $120
    • das7982 - $100
    • GrabMyWrist - $25
    • Amaury48 - $50
    • Arcturbo - $50
    • djmouse - $100 (ATT, increased)
    • afmracer6 - $25
    • mflagg - $100
    • stask1 - $10
    • Dennisg34 - $75
    • spuniun - $100
    • addiction41999 - $20
    • telktrot - $25
    • panyc - $25 (ATT)
    • chronicaust - $100 (ATT, increased)
    • ZenMomentum - $100 (ATT)
    • seanu13 - $25 (ATT)
    • jpk17 - $25
    • razzrmaxx - $25
    • sling - $20 (ATT)
    • sim37 - $20 (ATT)
    • jm0327 - $25 (ATT)
    • Guadalupeohara - $22
    • RyanS107 - $10
    • SlimJ87D - $20 (ATT)
    • mcornish86 - $25
    • superrelaxx - $50
    • TheWyzeMan - $20
    • abraxo - $35 (ATT)
    • putney1477 - $30
    • cooltool1 - $50
    • Sneakytiki - $125 (increased)
    • crimsonsunset - $25
    • JesseTron - $20 (ATT)
    • inline6power - $100
    • Mjs830 - $50
    • ravennyc - $100 (ATT, increased)
    • jmorales5922 - $20
    • dbeam - $40 (increased)
    • az-dave - $70 (ATT, conditional increase)
    • race4it - $50
    • JACKc2402 - $100
    • Mu9enx - $20
    • JavaManRules-Gs4 - $50
    • Wrath_unleashed - $100
    • clickclack333 - $50 (increased)
    • tehgyb - $50
    • imeowsohard - $2000 (created day of pledge*)
    • galaxy s4 nutjob - $5 (ATT)
    • rsdntevl - $20 (ATT)
    • ryanlitwiller - $25 (ATT)
    • Theaccomplice88 - $25 (ATT)
    • seemles - $30 (ATT)
    • demitri834 - $50 (ATT)
    • nbrent1007 - $20 (ATT)
    • jhaze84 - $25
    • pj1000 - $100 (ATT)
    • xXJay_RXx - $20
    • Shadowzerosix - $50
    • MrHyde03 - $20
    • thewebsiteisdown - $100
    • Alarand - $100 (ATT)
    • tommyd2k - $50
    • Phoenix_Boston - $20
    • JEZZEJAMEZ - $100 (ATT)
    • LinxuSx - $50
    • dave1977nj - $50 (ATT, increased)
    • RockyCJC - $50
    • LxDroid - $50
    • dlavery845 - $50 (ATT)
    • Justindail311 - $20
    • howellcp - $100 (increased)
    • miked9954 - $100 (ATT)
    • bloodrain954 - $100 (ATT)
    • 2strokenut - $40 (both variants)
    • Misterxtc - $20
    • davidstre - $20
    • jacklex13 - $30 (ATT)
    • dlscott1111 - $13 (increased, thank you)
    • renofreak - $20
    • edgtv - $20
    • mobius378 - $50 (increased)
    • tmchouse - $100
    • EnigmaKustomz - $50 (ATT)
    • dodendemise - $50
    • *Hacker* - $4000 (ATT, increased)
    • graydiggy - $100 (both variants)
    • barondebxl - $20 (ATT)
    • PensFan66 - $25 (ATT)
    • wataytay69 - $25
    • cquick97 - $35 (increased)
    • starfall42 - $25
    • RyuujinZero - $75 (increased)
    • Hipcatjack - $300 (conditional)
    • elgiraffe - $50 (ATT)
    • dean2900 - $50
    • weathertom - $200 (ATT)
    • swayze91 - $15 (ATT)
    • Ibrito - $50
    • phlewyd - $50
    • dirf - $20 (ATT)
    • SirWise23 - $30
    • truenorth12lds - $25
    • hardener - $50 (ATT)

Total Pledges - $18,470.00

VZW - $10,185.00 | ATT - $8,285.00

Last updated: 5-31-14 @ 9:48am PDT

------------------------------------------------------------​

Disclaimer​

• Please note before making a post in the thread please refer to the below list to see if your post will be acceptable. If it is not part of this list, your post will be reported and you may risk getting an infraction as per forum moderators.
    • Please note you may not make any specific restrictions or requirements that aren't listed in the OP. By making a post with your contribution price you are agreeing to paying out based on all terms listed in OP only and nowhere else.
    • MODERATOR EDIT - Policies regarding pledges that are both against bounty guidelines and non-enforcable have been removed.
    • Please be advised that if Verizon or Samsung is to release an official method of unlocking the bootloader (extremely unlikely but must be accounted for) prior to any member of XDA's submission, this bounty automatically becomes invalidated.
    • Please do not PM a pledge, they will not be counted.

List of Acceptable Posts:
    • New bounty submission or increase of current bounty
    • Questions or assistance in development of a root, recovery, or bootloader unlock method
    • Questions and answers regarding bootloaders on this device
    • Questions and answers regarding the nature of lockdown on this device
    • Questions and answers regarding eFuse/qFuse and emmc write-protects
    • Questions and answers regarding kernel and bootloader-related exploits
    • If you're working on such a method or exploit, then any status updates you have on it

Thanks again to all who contribute. If I was too hasty in getting this up and left something out (or was otherwise inaccurate), please PM me. If I do not get your pledge up immediately, bare with me and have no fear; I will update promptly between 9am-11pm PDT... Now lets get this thing rolling!​
    Do we have a meaningful way of tracking these "donations" and a way to enforce that people actually pay up if an exploit does become available?

I could say that I'm donating $15,000 and just take it back within 3 minutes of the exploit being released.

I assume you're directing this partially at me because of the size of my pledge. I can assure you if root is found I will pay. You have nothing in this world if you don't have your word. I was the person who donated the cash for Adam Outlers S4 so he could help root/exploit.

I firmly believe that if I can't contribute technical expertise then I should be contributing financially to help support those who work for nothing to provide us with root, etc.

In fact, I will up my ante. I'll provide $1000 for a VZW root, $1000 for an ATT root, or $2,000 in total if it works for both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Thread was re-opened for geohot to claim.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Thread Closed
    OK guys, thread is open again. Now let me weigh in on what I read, and removed.
    First, Donations are NOT required, and anyone asking for donations before release will be infracted. This is against forum rules, and it's unethical.
    Second, the malware issue. EVERY root method a form of malware. As with anything you do with your device, there is risk. That being said, any reports of unsavory practice in this release and it'll be taken down and verified.

The negativity and arguing over the legitimacy of these claims will not be tolerated. The claims have piqued interest of some very knowledgeable people, so we'll know know very quickly what truths there are to be had here. Especially the bootloader unlock.

Now let's keep it on point and civil, and wait to see what comes.