TweetComb -- A Twitter client optimized for your Honeycomb tablet

Search This thread

Chris Stewart

Mar 15, 2011
TfEdn.png

TweetComb is a Twitter client designed and created exclusively for the Android Honeycomb platform. TweetComb gives you a tablet-friendly view of your Twitter timeline, mentions, direct messages, and more.

Market Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chriswstewart.twitter

Features of TweetComb:

-- Interact with Twitter in a tablet-friendly way with the only Twitter experience designed for Honeycomb.
-- Read your timeline, mentions, and direct messages with three distinct fragments. Each fragment interacts with Twitter for updates independent of the others.
-- When new tweets arrive, TweetComb will alert you with an audio clip.
-- TweetComb gives you an easy way to use and switch between multiple Twitter accounts.
-- From an individual tweet, you can reply, retweet, share, favorite, and send a direct message.
-- Quickly send status updates with full support for cut/copy/paste.
-- Support for sending and replying to direct messages inside the app.
-- TweetComb can be shared to from other apps such as the browser, Newsr, and others.

zgg9Y.jpg

jGMya.jpg

If you have any feature requests, questions, comments, need support, or want to provide feedback please email me at support@locomolabs.com. Stay up to date with all of the apps from Locomo Labs by visiting:

Web: http://locomolabs.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/locomolabs
Facebook: http://facebook.com/locomolabs

Last edited:

tumbes20000

Apr 10, 2011
Just purchased the app. Looks great. Nice use of the extra real estate.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

arrtoodeetoo

Dec 31, 2010
You know you'll have to change the name when Ice Cream comes out, right? ;)

I still wonder why someone hasn't taken the name "Chirp" for a Twitter app yet.

Anyways, it looks really nice. I'd be more willing to lay down some cash for it if it had a widget.

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010
Why didnt you make this app backwards compatible with android 2.2? I mean there are many tablets out there, like the galaxy tab and the viewsonic gtab, that are unfortunately stuck on froyo but are still tablets. Couldn't you have made it compatible and set a screen size minimum to 7"? That way you can prevent people from trying to make this work on a 3.5" screen (tho someone would get around it if they REALLY want it) but you keep the millions of froyo tab owners happy (and more $$ in your wallet). For example, take the touchdown exchange app. It automatically detects the larger screen on the tab and adjusts its UI accordingly. For $2.99 I would expect you to put more time and effort into your app because that is expensive for a twitter especially since we know many of the popular twitter apps will offer it for free. I have no problem supporting a dev especially when they go the extra mile to make things work properly across all devices. Making this compatible on the galaxy tab would be evident of this and I would buy it in a heartbeat. Please consider this.

cwizardtx

May 22, 2009
Houston
I hope that you will find some insight to my opinion so I want to share it:

I think that the onslaught of new development for honeycomb tablets is great and I want to encourage it by purchasing these apps. With that said, I seem to be noticing a trend where these apps are coming out and they're basically alpha or beta stage without optimization or some features missing or "planned" with a pricetag and no ad-supported option for the users to download and check out the apps.

If you want to throw a new app out there, and ask us to test and feedback on it for a month... make it free during the development phase or only ad supported, and then when all of the features you are happy with are in and considered "ready to go" publish a paid version of the app and those of us who are really happy about it will gladly go buy it.

What I don't like, is having to pay 2 or 3 bucks for something and make a decision in 15 minutes or less as to whether or not it really works well. You cannot make an informed decision about a product in 15 minutes or less. This is not you the developers fault, and for that I am truly apathetic to your situation. If the 24 hour window still existed, or even if it was expanded to say 2 hours then I probably wouldn't make this post.

To combat the 15 minute window, I request that you consider an ad-supported version for people to spend more than a few minutes checking out.

For what its worth, I like the concept of a tablet optimized twitter client but judging only by screenshots I cannot tell if I would truly be satisfied or even need it as the official twitter app works just fine.

kkwus74

Jun 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy A53
Why didnt you make this app backwards compatible with android 2.2? I mean there are many tablets out there, like the galaxy tab and the viewsonic gtab, that are unfortunately stuck on froyo but are still tablets. Couldn't you have made it compatible and set a screen size minimum to 7"? That way you can prevent people from trying to make this work on a 3.5" screen (tho someone would get around it if they REALLY want it) but you keep the millions of froyo tab owners happy (and more $$ in your wallet). For example, take the touchdown exchange app. It automatically detects the larger screen on the tab and adjusts its UI accordingly. For $2.99 I would expect you to put more time and effort into your app because that is expensive for a twitter especially since we know many of the popular twitter apps will offer it for free. I have no problem supporting a dev especially when they go the extra mile to make things work properly across all devices. Making this compatible on the galaxy tab would be evident of this and I would buy it in a heartbeat. Please consider this.

Though I'm loving this on my Xoom, i also have a gtab and if this is possible, would really love to be able to use this on my gtab too.... maybe even phones running froyo? Cos this really look very sweet!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Chris Stewart

Mar 15, 2011

For me, I chose to focus on the tablet OS. While there are a few tablets out there running the phone OS, the trend over the next 6 months will be a whole new set of tablets running Honeycomb. I'd rather work on supporting that platform properly than diverting attention to support a setup that will be a tiny fraction of the market in about a year. I have no intention of bringing Newsr or TweetComb to earlier versions of Android for this reason.

There are Twitter apps, and Google Reader apps for that matter, which run on the phone OS just fine. I saw a market opportunity to make something for Honeycomb, using Honeycomb-specific features (that aren't included in the compat library), for both types of application.

If TweetComb isn't worth $2.99 to you, then I understand. I have put, and will continue to put, a lot of time and effort into it. I've done this with Newsr and will continue to with both. I'm not a company that can afford to put out free applications and hope I gain substantial market share to become attractive to acquisition. I'm a solo developer, with a full time job and a full time family, so for me the value proposition is making a couple bucks here and there to justify the serious amount of time and energy I put into developing Android apps. I have gotten a ton of positive feedback from my various applications, and it's been a really worthwhile endeavor for me.

I hope that answers your question on some level.

Edit: You know, and with all of that said, I am just a solo guy here in my home office making decisions and moving forward. Could I have made a mistake with TweetComb's price? Absolutely. Maybe I should have done any number of things. Frankly, I question every decision I make with my apps because I _do_ care. I put so much time and effort into them because I _do_ care. I want your input, I want everyone's input. It's not set in stone that I'll never have a free version, but right now something told me to put it up for $2.99 as I have with my other apps. Maybe that was a mistake, or maybe not. All I can say is I made a decision and moved forward with it. I'll second guess that decision, and every other, forever. :)

Last edited:

tumbes20000

Apr 10, 2011
Imo the more dedicated tablet developers the better. Thanks again for the app

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

cwizardtx

May 22, 2009
Houston
For me, I chose to focus on the tablet OS. While there are a few tablets out there running the phone OS, the trend over the next 6 months will be a whole new set of tablets running Honeycomb. I'd rather work on supporting that platform properly than diverting attention to support a setup that will be a tiny fraction of the market in about a year. I have no intention of bringing Newsr or TweetComb to earlier versions of Android for this reason.

There are Twitter apps, and Google Reader apps for that matter, which run on the phone OS just fine. I saw a market opportunity to make something for Honeycomb, using Honeycomb-specific features (that aren't included in the compat library), for both types of application.

If TweetComb isn't worth $2.99 to you, then I understand. I have put, and will continue to put, a lot of time and effort into it. I've done this with Newsr and will continue to with both. I'm not a company that can afford to put out free applications and hope I gain substantial market share to become attractive to acquisition. I'm a solo developer, with a full time job and a full time family, so for me the value proposition is making a couple bucks here and there to justify the serious amount of time and energy I put into developing Android apps. I have gotten a ton of positive feedback from my various applications, and it's been a really worthwhile endeavor for me.

Edit: You know, and with all of that said, I am just a solo guy here in my home office making decisions and moving forward. Could I have made a mistake with TweetComb's price? Absolutely. Maybe I should have done any number of things. Frankly, I question every decision I make with my apps because I _do_ care. I put so much time and effort into them because I _do_ care. I want your input, I want everyone's input. It's not set in stone that I'll never have a free version, but right now something told me to put it up for $2.99 as I have with my other apps. Maybe that was a mistake, or maybe not. All I can say is I made a decision and moved forward with it. I'll second guess that decision, and every other, forever. :)

I'll just share with you my purchasing MO:

Pocket Cloud: Tried the free version for a few days, decided that it was worth 15 bucks and bought it.

Quick Office Pro HD: Had to wait for an actual tablet version but based on prior experience with the included app I purchased it. Again 15 bucks.

Reditta the new Honeycomb Redit client: The guy has an ad-supported version and then I think it costs $1.60 something. The current plan is to purchase it after my next paycheck as I am using the free ad-supported version and I like it (after spending more than 15 minutes with it).

The same is true for SNESoid and a couple games I've purchased after playing around with them for a couple days.

It could very well be worth your time to slap together an ad supported version of each of your clients for people like me who pretty much habitually buy any good/decent app on the tablet.

Nothing wrong with making money!

Chris Stewart

Mar 15, 2011
While I understand you, myself, and the typical crowd from XDA follows that approach, the _vast_ majority of consumers don't. I considered going with ad-supported, but honestly, from my experience, ad-supported really isn't even worth the inconvenience of the end user's experience. I'd rather just put it up for free without any advertising if I went that route.

cwizardtx

May 22, 2009
Houston
While I understand you, myself, and the typical crowd from XDA follows that approach, the _vast_ majority of consumers don't. I considered going with ad-supported, but honestly, from my experience, ad-supported really isn't even worth the inconvenience of the end user's experience. I'd rather just put it up for free without any advertising if I went that route.

How about a time bomb, one time in-app purchase that is required after the 1st hour of use? Just trying to think creatively lol.

kkwus74

Jun 13, 2010
Samsung Galaxy A53
I don't think $2.99 is that big of a deal tbo. The most important thing imo is a responsive developer and one that listens to feedback. Whatever you want added or fixed will taken care of. Just my 2 cents worth.

Reactions: kidnoble

ryan562

Feb 28, 2010
Awesome app. Will u also dev for a Facebook tablet app? Or can u integrate Facebook in to this app as well?

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

wezknowles

Sep 20, 2010
It's $2.99 people! It's not like it's up there at $10 or $15! We need to support independent developers like these.

And Chris, stick to developing purely for Honeycomb. I own a Galaxy Tab and the standard Twitter and Google Reader apps are fine on those. I'd rather have one amazing app than two mediocre apps. Keep up the good work!

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Great app good job..please continue supporting honeycomb as you have a customer in me! One question I have is how do you open the trending topics? Also if you can make a Facebook app like this I'd buy it the same day as the Facebook apps for android sucks!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TfEdn.png

TweetComb is a Twitter client designed and created exclusively for the Android Honeycomb platform. TweetComb gives you a tablet-friendly view of your Twitter timeline, mentions, direct messages, and more.

Market Link: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chriswstewart.twitter

Features of TweetComb:

-- Interact with Twitter in a tablet-friendly way with the only Twitter experience designed for Honeycomb.
    -- Read your timeline, mentions, and direct messages with three distinct fragments. Each fragment interacts with Twitter for updates independent of the others.
    -- When new tweets arrive, TweetComb will alert you with an audio clip.
    -- TweetComb gives you an easy way to use and switch between multiple Twitter accounts.
    -- From an individual tweet, you can reply, retweet, share, favorite, and send a direct message.
    -- Quickly send status updates with full support for cut/copy/paste.
    -- Support for sending and replying to direct messages inside the app.
    -- TweetComb can be shared to from other apps such as the browser, Newsr, and others.

zgg9Y.jpg

jGMya.jpg

If you have any feature requests, questions, comments, need support, or want to provide feedback please email me at support@locomolabs.com. Stay up to date with all of the apps from Locomo Labs by visiting:

Web: http://locomolabs.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/locomolabs
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/locomolabs

I don't think $2.99 is that big of a deal tbo. The most important thing imo is a responsive developer and one that listens to feedback. Whatever you want added or fixed will taken care of. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wanted to circle back and let you know about the updates I've been pushing. Earlier today I pushed 1.1 which had:

-- Can now retweet with edit.
    -- Can now copy a tweet to the system clipboard.
    -- Preference available to show real names in timelines.
    -- Removed feedback link from preferences (so I can submit to Amazon).
    -- "Mark as Spam" option for a tweet now available.
    -- BUG: Keyboard now capitalizes sentences appropriately.
    -- BUG: RT status should show picture of original user.
    -- BUG: Sound enable/disable is now working properly.

Then, a few minutes ago, I pushed 1.2 which includes:

-- Profile tab provides a view of a user’s basic info, their recent tweets, and their publicly available favored tweets.
    -- Profile search.
    -- Follow/unfollow user from profile page.

Enjoy. :)
    As stupid as it sounds... could the user interface be adjusted on the dashboard, so if you only have 2 fragments showing, each one uses 50% of the width - not 33%?

In it's current form, it would take a bit of rework to make that dynamic. It's something I'll look at in the future, but it's more of a long term item in my mind.