Note 2 TW ROMs fading away

Search This thread

Real_JESRadio

Dec 13, 2012
Davenport
johnnyenglishshow.com
Hate to say it but looks like some Note 2 TW devs are leaving the phone. Seems they are vanishing weekly. Too bad because there were some great ROMs out there and I hate to see some of them go for the VZW variant. Really sad that VZW and Samsung are making things so difficult for devs these days. Makes me wonder if they left it open just long enough to steal hard working dev ideas for themselves without having to pay an R&D department to test the OS. Looks like AOSP 4.3 ROMs are starting to take off though, and with the addition of the App Bar, Halo and a host of other mods by great devs we still have a few options. That coupled with great mod apps in the Play Store you can almost get the TW experience with AOSP now.

Or maybe they are moving on to other projects until we get the 4.3 TW update. Then, hopefully some of them will return and develop for one of the top devices still on the market. The Note 3 will most likely be locked down like the S4 so I am thinking the Note 2 may be the last great Samsung device open to rooting and having the ability to flash custom ROMs.

To all the devs that made (or still making) great TW ROMs for our VZW Note 2, thanks for all your hard work. I know I have enjoyed being able to try different ROMs and tinkering with them. You all deserve donations and our gratitude. You guys and gals make the Android experience enjoyable for all of us.

kimdoocheol

Jan 9, 2012
I'm sure they will be back when we get the 4.3 update. This is the only phone that has an unlockable bootloader, with TW on verizon that's actually decent.

What's wrong with the s3?

I'm sure the s4 will have an unlocked bootloader soon, especially with the 3k+ bounty.

TBH, this is what always happens. it makes sense that the devs move back to the latest phone. plus the note 3 is coming out soon too, so, yeah, pretty sure what happened to the s3 will happen to the note 2.

at first I really liked TW, but then I switched to the PACman rom and I haven't looked back. the features on TW are nice, but honestly I don't use them that much. i know every user varies, but there are a lot of apps out there that replace TW functionality. I really haven't noticed since switching. I just was unhappy being on 4.1.

Reactions: joeriv5692

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
As a TW ROM author for the S3 I can tell you guys TW has its limits and there is only so much we can do so we are all awaiting the 4.3 upgrade. We can mess around with themes and included apps, inverting things, but there are limits. It is not like TW has a nightly source code to keep building from. Just be patient and maybe play with some different themes.

droidstyle

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 7, 2011
Fort Wayne
What's wrong with the s3?

I'm sure the s4 will have an unlocked bootloader soon, especially with the 3k+ bounty.

TBH, this is what always happens. it makes sense that the devs move back to the latest phone. plus the note 3 is coming out soon too, so, yeah, pretty sure what happened to the s3 will happen to the note 2.

at first I really liked TW, but then I switched to the PACman rom and I haven't looked back. the features on TW are nice, but honestly I don't use them that much. i know every user varies, but there are a lot of apps out there that replace TW functionality. I really haven't noticed since switching. I just was unhappy being on 4.1.

The S4 wont be unlocked...however Im sure something like Kexec or Safestrap will be used to work around the Locked Bootloader. If you read into the details of Qualcomm processors and qfuses, you will quickly learn its pretty much impossible.

Morkai Almandragon

Jan 29, 2009
JB is still a very active rom, as is Nebula. One of the problems I have run into is that many of the roms are built on the international base. Cleanrom was the perfect rom for me but unfortunately Scott has moved on.

Jellybeans = very active, but I personally seem to always have little issues, I have however never seen anyone else with them.

Cleanrom = dead, but rock solid stable for me

Transnebula = Great support, and very active, however the tab UI just does not work for me... I would KILL to have these guys put together something like clean rom but with floating multiwindow. (One of the devs is also f&*(ing Batman in disguise I swear, listening to his gadget list is bloody awesome)

Lab Rats = a theme beast, but I am not really into theming, seems to me there is always something not quite right with custom themes.

There are also a few international based roms that are very active.

Edit: Oh yeah, also beware flashing Lab Rats at work unless you want your co-workers making fun of you for the boot up sound :)

Reactions: hopesrequiem

Real_JESRadio

Dec 13, 2012
Davenport
johnnyenglishshow.com
As a TW ROM author for the S3 I can tell you guys TW has its limits and there is only so much we can do so we are all awaiting the 4.3 upgrade. We can mess around with themes and included apps, inverting things, but there are limits. It is not like TW has a nightly source code to keep building from. Just be patient and maybe play with some different themes.

Agreed. I actually missed my GS3 for about 2 months until the N2 ROMs started picking up. Now I'm digging PAC Man 4.3 and can't wait to see what happens with TW 4.3. Just hope the devs migrate back eventually. The N2 is a great device.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Real_JESRadio

Dec 13, 2012
Davenport
johnnyenglishshow.com
JB is still a very active rom, as is Nebula. One of the problems I have run into is that many of the roms are built on the international base. Cleanrom was the perfect rom for me but unfortunately Scott has moved on.

Jellybeans = very active, but I personally seem to always have little issues, I have however never seen anyone else with them.

Cleanrom = dead, but rock solid stable for me

Transnebula = Great support, and very active, however the tab UI just does not work for me... I would KILL to have these guys put together something like clean rom but with floating multiwindow. (One of the devs is also f&*(ing Batman in disguise I swear, listening to his gadget list is bloody awesome)

Lab Rats = a theme beast, but I am not really into theming, seems to me there is always something not quite right with custom themes.

There are also a few international based roms that are very active.

Edit: Oh yeah, also beware flashing Lab Rats at work unless you want your co-workers making fun of you for the boot up sound :)

Beans just got a Moto X so I hope he builds for the N2 still after 4.3 drops.

Haven't tried Trans yet. Not a big tablet UI fan.

Still need to try the newest Lab Rats

JeramyEggs

Jan 4, 2011
Charleston Il
We have patches to run roms from other carriers, as well as rock solid roms that work flawlessly. X posed has opened up almost endless possibilities, and active themers(<is this even a word?) )help the look of a lot of the roms we do have. One of the best things we have is a bunch of good natured members willing to help, and learn. This goes a long way. New developers are born every day. Some will leave, some will stay. Heck Deckoz just started. Trans nebula is his first rom. This phone is a nice piece of kit, and unless I can get a xperia xl super cheap, and working flawless on Verizon, then I am staying put for awhile. You guys are stuck with me. :p

hopesrequiem

May 27, 2011
I could not imagine going from the Note 2 to the Moto X lol

Honestly it's a gorgeous device. Almost pure android on it, some nice moto features. I would get it if I didn't have a note. It's honestly still in the back of my mind to get one. It's smaller yeah but it's got a really nice feel in the hand. Very smooth running device

JasonGeiger

Sep 3, 2012
Wichita
Feel the same as the op but remaining hopeful and patient. Really sad to see cleanrom go and nothing really along those lines. I like beans also and not sure how much more he can do with it until there's a 4.3 to work off of. I've been messing with nova themes and other mods to keep me busy. That and just enjoying the phone with what we have.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Reactions: akatcl

Real_JESRadio

Dec 13, 2012
Davenport
johnnyenglishshow.com
Nova and the host of goodies and apps has made the TW experience more enjoyable until 4.3 drops. I realize the TW devs are limited until the next update. Heck I flashed back to Beans just to mess with X Posed since I really never have in TW roms.

abe_cedar

May 23, 2011
Houston
ExFAT and AOSP

Kenny,
Since your are reading ( and cleaning- thanks!) a lot of posts I wonder if you have seen any ExFat support for AOSP roms.Actually I want to be able to format a 64GB sandisk and be able see all ( most) of 64G and be able to put files larger than 4G.
Any AOSP roms/kernels with such support?
Many thanks
Abe

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!

asacado

Jun 7, 2013
Updates are great, but since TW has its own limitations and we've had 4.1.2 for how long now? Tweaks can only be so tweaky! 4.3 will breathe alot of new life into our phone. I am not upgrading to the N3 lest something makes it more desirable. But seeing that we get the same update it will have, I am willing to wait a month to see what happens.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Also keep in mind that the xposed framework has removed a lot of the necessity for a true custom rom as it does just about everything that previously had to be hardcoded in. Most custom roms anymore are really just themes with xposed installed by default.
    Hate to say it but looks like some Note 2 TW devs are leaving the phone. Seems they are vanishing weekly. Too bad because there were some great ROMs out there and I hate to see some of them go for the VZW variant. Really sad that VZW and Samsung are making things so difficult for devs these days. Makes me wonder if they left it open just long enough to steal hard working dev ideas for themselves without having to pay an R&D department to test the OS. Looks like AOSP 4.3 ROMs are starting to take off though, and with the addition of the App Bar, Halo and a host of other mods by great devs we still have a few options. That coupled with great mod apps in the Play Store you can almost get the TW experience with AOSP now.

Or maybe they are moving on to other projects until we get the 4.3 TW update. Then, hopefully some of them will return and develop for one of the top devices still on the market. The Note 3 will most likely be locked down like the S4 so I am thinking the Note 2 may be the last great Samsung device open to rooting and having the ability to flash custom ROMs.

To all the devs that made (or still making) great TW ROMs for our VZW Note 2, thanks for all your hard work. I know I have enjoyed being able to try different ROMs and tinkering with them. You all deserve donations and our gratitude. You guys and gals make the Android experience enjoyable for all of us.
    I'm sure they will be back when we get the 4.3 update. This is the only phone that has an unlockable bootloader, with TW on verizon that's actually decent.

Hopefully thats the case. Or it may be time to switch carriers. Kinda tired of VZW and their procedures anyway.