Need help to decide

Search This thread

speedme

Jun 12, 2006
Breda
Hi,

I have been searching the web for a smartwatch for a long time now and I've seen a lot of smartwatches.

I briefly owned a Sony MN2 (smartwatch 1) and it was pretty OK, but had some flaws.
Like it was absolutely impossible to see the time in direct sunlight.
Indoors it was great.
Also the screen was small and not so many pixels.

So I wanted to buy the Sony Smartwatch 2 because all the MN2 flaws are not present anymore in the SW2.

Then I came across the SmartQ Z Watch..........

This looks like a real SW2 killer, but is it as good (or even better) as the SW2 ?

What I want in a watch :

- Get notifications from my Galaxy S4 on my watch
- Read my email (Gmail)
- Facebook
- Twitter
- Calendar

Can someone, who has owned both the SW2 and Z-Watch, explain to me which one is better ?

ofsinreno

Nov 11, 2009
I haven't owned the SW2 but I've had the Zwatch for a while. If you're looking for notifications it's great, and it it's a fun piece of technology. There's a booting Android Wear ROM as well as a few custom ROMs based off the stock firmware. And while you can load apps like Gmail and Twitter onto it takes some work- and so far the watch doesn't work well with Windows 8.X computers. Also there is no internet tethering so you have use the wifi on the watch, but that consumes battery power extremely fast. You really need to use an app that limits your wifi usage to a few minutes at a time or you won't even get one day out of a full charge.
In the end- it's a great watch. The screen is visible, there's a little developing going on, good potential, but it's still too early. If you are looking for that polished look and feel that you find with Sony, you will be disappointed. The Z watch is just not that refined. But for $100 I bought one and haven't regretted it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

JarlSX

May 4, 2009
Eindhoven
maybe no one owns both? :)

i have the SW2, it can all the things you ask for

and while some call the transflective display old tech, it does work well both indoors and outdoors

with the new watch face editor, they finally opened up development of real watch faces, which opens a world of possibilities for interactive watch faces (the first by Sony is a weather widget, if you tap it, it shows the weather forecast on the watch)

hoping for some real nice clock designs too

check this video

speedme

Jun 12, 2006
Breda
How is the readability of the Z Watch outdours ?
Can the display be read with direct sunlight ?

apitruia1

Feb 18, 2014
Yes the display is very bright if set to 100%........ But again it will drain your battery.... Smart q z watch there is a widget to adjust brightness....... So it is quite easy to adjust as per requirement

Will recommend to wait for some more days till LG or moto comes up with polished android were version
Sent from my Xperia ZL using xda app-developers app

speedme

Jun 12, 2006
Breda
I know that Motorola and LG have announced their smartwatches running Android Wear, but those smartwatches will be more expensive than the SmartQ is

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

doc_lee

Aug 10, 2006
It's worth waiting a few weeks to see the new SmartQ P1 watch. It has more features than the Z watch (heart rate monitor, built in speaker for complete handsfree calling) and is supposed to have a transflective screen for better outdoor viewing. Price is supposed to be about $50 more than the Z watch.

speedme

Jun 12, 2006
Breda
It's worth waiting a few weeks to see the new SmartQ P1 watch. It has more features than the Z watch (heart rate monitor, built in speaker for complete handsfree calling) and is supposed to have a transflective screen for better outdoor viewing. Price is supposed to be about $50 more than the Z watch.

You are right, I've read about the P1 a few days ago and it sounds very promising.

On the other hand, the Z Watch already has been rooted and custom roms are available.
Also I've seen a Youtube video where voice commands are working with XBMC (which I use a lot, hahaha).
Even normal Play Store works on the Z Watch.

It will take a while for the community to accomplish that on the new P1 and I wonder if I will use the extra features which the P1 will have.

Doubts doubts doubts, it drives me crazy :D

jory9

Sep 22, 2010
You are right, I've read about the P1 a few days ago and it sounds very promising.

On the other hand, the Z Watch already has been rooted and custom roms are available.
Also I've seen a Youtube video where voice commands are working with XBMC (which I use a lot, hahaha).
Even normal Play Store works on the Z Watch.

It will take a while for the community to accomplish that on the new P1 and I wonder if I will use the extra features which the P1 will have.

Doubts doubts doubts, it drives me crazy :D

well i payed 99$ for this watch and it's getting delivered at my doorstep on monday, really looking forward to it.
I just said to myself , i can keep on waiting but technology changes everyday , so i said to myself **** it i'm just gonna buy it and enjoy it (=