MIUIv5 for Lenovo P780

Search This thread

axtroz

Sep 10, 2012
Hello everyone!
There's an official port of MIUIv5 for our P780 which can be found here.
It needs the Chinese base and not the International one, which means you need to have a Chinese stock ROM before flashing MIUI (flashing over the international stock rom ended in a bootloop for me).

I installed it a week ago and so far it's working flawlessly with a minor issue with the CSipSimple application (opening the Settings dialog causes FC). Didn't find any other bugs, running smooth on the P780 4GB version.

***BEFORE YOU CONTINUE***
Please note, I'm just sharing my own experience with the community, hoping this would be useful to someone.
I don't take any responsibility for any damage to your devices should you decide to follow the steps below!
What you do with the content of this thread is your own responsibility.
The external links are property of their respective authors and all credits go to them. Show your support by hitting the "Thanks" button in the bottom left corner of the respective post.

What I've done to run MIUI on the Lenovo P780 (4GB):

I. Backup
Since my phone came pre-rooted I didn't have to do it on my own. There's a good guide for rooting here. VibeROM can't be rooted via framaroot, so you'll have to find another way if you're running it and don't have root.
Download Mobileuncle Tools and backup your IMEI. I suggest keeping it somewhere safe in case of trouble.
Download MtK Droid Tools and backup your whole current ROM (takes a while) so you can flash it back with SmartPhone Flashtool later on if you decide.

II. Flash Chinese stock ROM
Download the Chinese S135 base stock rom along with the drivers and the flash tool from here and flash the S135 following the instructions provided.
Let the phone boot at least once. Copy the MIUI zip on the phone.

III. Flash MIUI
Reboot into recovery (shutdown the phone, then hold Power + Volume UP + Volume DOWN until you see the TEAMWIN logo). Perform a factory reset (Wipe Data + Cache) and Wipe Dalvik Cache.
Select Install and choose the MIUI zip archive, wait for it to flash.
Reboot phone and enjoy MIUI

IV. Some screenshots:
You can see them here.

Finally, I'd like to thank the authors of the threads and articles linked in this post.

Reactions: hadiyalkishan

drkrack

Jan 21, 2010
Flashed everything works fine, but Second Sim is detected but not working, tried many permutations still the same.

Any info will b very useful, originally forms ROW firmware, help.. Urgent, need dual sim functionality very much

Sent from my iPad

axtroz

Sep 10, 2012
Hi there drkrack,
Have you tried removing SIM1 and only leaving SIM2 in the phone? Is that working?
Since English is not my native language I can't understand what do you mean with "originally forms ROW firmware", can you explain?
The phone was with the ROW firmware when you flashed MIUI?
As far as I know MIUI is based on the chinese firmware so you'll have to flash that and if second sim is not working for you, you might have to flash only the modem from the ROW rom.
You can try replacing your modem driver with another one without reflashing the whole phone.

Check your current modem: Settings->All Settings->About phone-> Baseband version.
Mine's P780.V16, 2013/07/03 17:08 and both SIMs are working fine. You can try with some other versions though.

Backup your IMEIs with Mobileuncle Tools. This is very important because this information could be lost after replacing the modem driver!
Install ES File Explorer or Total Commander and give it root access.
Go to the /system/etc/firmware folder, you'll find a file named modem.img which is the current modem firmware.
Copy it over to the SD card just in case and replace it with another modem.
Download a new modem driver from [1] (sorry, can't post external links yet). I'm running V19 and both SIM cards are working just fine, but your mileage may vary.
After you move the file there be sure that the permissions are 644 (rw- r-- r--) (Owner: read+write, Group: read, Others: read).
Reboot the phone and hopefully you'll have both SIMs working.

Hope this helps,
good luck!

Credits for the Modem images to user belitov from androidbg.com.

[1] hxxps://mega.co.nz/#F!DkZg2BRZ!XsyBsDoB5sRdczecDvZuHw

Last edited:
Reactions: drkrack

drkrack

Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for the reply it was a typo.. I meant originally from ROW firmware, flashed Chinese rom s123 and then tried MIUI v5,

All SIM Combinations I've tried, not detecting sim 2 at all.
Same problem with SLX ROM too,
Have a backup of IMEIs
Will try this modem driver img replacing and will let you know

Last edited:

angerousevil

May 15, 2014
I using 8gb version. Try put life rom 07. Then flash miui v5 from here lenovo-forums.ru/topic/2073-miui-v5-jb-42-%D0%B4%D0%BB%D1%8F-ideaphone-p780-dual-sim-version/

Sent from my P780 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

axtroz

Sep 10, 2012
I've no idea, but hoping for it. There's already Android 4.4 for our P780 (which runs very smooth btw), but so far nothing from the MIUI team. Will keep you updated if I find something...

Supermatt01

Nov 20, 2010
Surabaya
Redmi Note 10 Pro
i goofed it up

Help me please anyone. I have never tried to fix a ROM to this kind of device before. I've always used HTC till now and I've goofed the install so bad that I can't reflash my back up. The recovery can't read the data or emmc partitions or internal storage. I don't know how to fix it. I can boot recovery but I can't flash anything or go back to my old ROM I was using 8 gb ROW 124 stock rooted TWRP. I can still get the system partition to mount. Any ideas how to fix it?

axtroz

Sep 10, 2012
Yeah, read the other topics in this forum, good people have written fine guides for using MTK Smartphone flash tool to restore their phones. A rule of thumb is always keep your backups somewhere safe, e.g. PC hard disk or external storage card because when flashing the internal memory is at risk of breaking. Post to the relevant topic and good luck.

Reactions: Supermatt01

Mr Lukman

Aug 5, 2016
Look on settings/about phone on IMEI section and see what is written there.

Dear stympy, I had finally flashed my p780 row using life rom and finally flashing MIUI using TWRP. Everything works fine except that the internal storage is now only 1 GB, it is so tight to squeeze anything in. Any workaround? Thanks beforehand.

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
Dear stympy, I had finally flashed my p780 row using life rom and finally flashing MIUI using TWRP. Everything works fine except that the internal storage is now only 1 GB, it is so tight to squeeze anything in. Any workaround? Thanks beforehand.
Hi. What MIUI did you flashed? What version? Do you have any sdcard?
Usually MIUI makes your sdcard internal memory.

Send from my Lenovo P1 Vibe Pro

Mr Lukman

Aug 5, 2016
Hi. What MIUI did you flashed? What version? Do you have any sdcard?
Usually MIUI makes your sdcard internal memory.

I dont exactly remember which version it was, all I know it was MIUI 5, for redmi note if I had remembered correctly.

I have inserted a 16gb sd card. It is true that it was detected as phone memory. When I installed much apps to test if it has any effect when the internal storage runs out, the gallery and the camera started to acting up, at that time, the internal storage only have 99 mb.

Plus the mic is no longer working, when I make calls, the receiver hears only buzz. When I make a record, nothing recorded.

I love the UI already, but these problems bother me for days already. I hate to reflash stock rom back.

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
I dont exactly remember which version it was, all I know it was MIUI 5, for redmi note if I had remembered correctly.

I have inserted a 16gb sd card. It is true that it was detected as phone memory. When I installed much apps to test if it has any effect when the internal storage runs out, the gallery and the camera started to acting up, at that time, the internal storage only have 99 mb.

Plus the mic is no longer working, when I make calls, the receiver hears only buzz. When I make a record, nothing recorded.

I love the UI already, but these problems bother me for days already. I hate to reflash stock rom back.
Hi. Flash final stock firmware from Lenovo, S228 ROW. Install TWRP. After all that install latest MIUI, MIUI MINOVO.
I think is one of the best firmware here, made for our phones.
Unfortunately free system and data space it is a problem for this phone, because of the limited hardware.
You have those problems because you installed one KitKat firmware over Jellybean base firmware. This two are not compatible.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Mr Lukman

Aug 5, 2016
Hi. Flash final stock firmware from Lenovo, S228 ROW. Install TWRP. After all that install latest MIUI, MIUI MINOVO.
I think is one of the best firmware here, made for our phones.
Unfortunately free system and data space it is a problem for this phone, because of the limited hardware.
You have those problems because you installed one KitKat firmware over Jellybean base firmware. This two are not compatible.
Good luck.

hi stympy, after the last attempt to revive my phone, finally I was able to boot up after using the 20 seconds trick, flashed the ROM that you suggested me to, finished flashing. The phone was booting up allright. suddenly after the lockscreen appears, it was died again. I have tried the 20 seconds trick repeatedly to revive the phone again, but all to no avail, I guess this is a hardware failure then?

what part(s) that would be damaged? any ideas?
i will take this p780 to a service center, I'd hate to be tricked by the service center. thanks before Sir Stympy :D

stympy

Feb 15, 2010
Constanta
Lenovo P780
Samsung Galaxy A71
hi stympy, after the last attempt to revive my phone, finally I was able to boot up after using the 20 seconds trick, flashed the ROM that you suggested me to, finished flashing. The phone was booting up allright. suddenly after the lockscreen appears, it was died again. I have tried the 20 seconds trick repeatedly to revive the phone again, but all to no avail, I guess this is a hardware failure then?

what part(s) that would be damaged? any ideas?
i will take this p780 to a service center, I'd hate to be tricked by the service center. thanks before Sir Stympy :D
Hi. If you pressed 20 secconds on the red button, means that you hard resetted your phone. That means that could be a preloader problem. Try to reflash your stock firmware, so all could be new.
To answers to your question, usually the motherboard is the problem.
But first try to reflash your stock firmware and after flash see if you have to go to service store.
Good luck.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!
    There's an official port of MIUIv5 for our P780 which can be found here.
    It needs the Chinese base and not the International one, which means you need to have a Chinese stock ROM before flashing MIUI (flashing over the international stock rom ended in a bootloop for me).

I installed it a week ago and so far it's working flawlessly with a minor issue with the CSipSimple application (opening the Settings dialog causes FC). Didn't find any other bugs, running smooth on the P780 4GB version.

***BEFORE YOU CONTINUE***
    Please note, I'm just sharing my own experience with the community, hoping this would be useful to someone.
    I don't take any responsibility for any damage to your devices should you decide to follow the steps below!
    What you do with the content of this thread is your own responsibility.
    The external links are property of their respective authors and all credits go to them. Show your support by hitting the "Thanks" button in the bottom left corner of the respective post.

What I've done to run MIUI on the Lenovo P780 (4GB):

I. Backup
    Since my phone came pre-rooted I didn't have to do it on my own. There's a good guide for rooting here. VibeROM can't be rooted via framaroot, so you'll have to find another way if you're running it and don't have root.
    Download Mobileuncle Tools and backup your IMEI. I suggest keeping it somewhere safe in case of trouble.
    Download MtK Droid Tools and backup your whole current ROM (takes a while) so you can flash it back with SmartPhone Flashtool later on if you decide.

II. Flash Chinese stock ROM
    Download the Chinese S135 base stock rom along with the drivers and the flash tool from here and flash the S135 following the instructions provided.
    Let the phone boot at least once. Copy the MIUI zip on the phone.

III. Flash MIUI
    Reboot into recovery (shutdown the phone, then hold Power + Volume UP + Volume DOWN until you see the TEAMWIN logo). Perform a factory reset (Wipe Data + Cache) and Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    Select Install and choose the MIUI zip archive, wait for it to flash.
    Reboot phone and enjoy MIUI

IV. Some screenshots:
    You can see them here.

Finally, I'd like to thank the authors of the threads and articles linked in this post.
    Hi there drkrack,
    Have you tried removing SIM1 and only leaving SIM2 in the phone? Is that working?
    Since English is not my native language I can't understand what do you mean with "originally forms ROW firmware", can you explain?
    The phone was with the ROW firmware when you flashed MIUI?
    As far as I know MIUI is based on the chinese firmware so you'll have to flash that and if second sim is not working for you, you might have to flash only the modem from the ROW rom.
    You can try replacing your modem driver with another one without reflashing the whole phone.

Check your current modem: Settings->All Settings->About phone-> Baseband version.
    Mine's P780.V16, 2013/07/03 17:08 and both SIMs are working fine. You can try with some other versions though.

Backup your IMEIs with Mobileuncle Tools. This is very important because this information could be lost after replacing the modem driver!
    Install ES File Explorer or Total Commander and give it root access.
    Go to the /system/etc/firmware folder, you'll find a file named modem.img which is the current modem firmware.
    Copy it over to the SD card just in case and replace it with another modem.
    Download a new modem driver from [1] (sorry, can't post external links yet). I'm running V19 and both SIM cards are working just fine, but your mileage may vary.
    After you move the file there be sure that the permissions are 644 (rw- r-- r--) (Owner: read+write, Group: read, Others: read).
    Reboot the phone and hopefully you'll have both SIMs working.

Hope this helps,
    good luck!

Credits for the Modem images to user belitov from androidbg.com.

[1] hxxps://mega.co.nz/#F!DkZg2BRZ!XsyBsDoB5sRdczecDvZuHw
    Yeah, read the other topics in this forum, good people have written fine guides for using MTK Smartphone flash tool to restore their phones. A rule of thumb is always keep your backups somewhere safe, e.g. PC hard disk or external storage card because when flashing the internal memory is at risk of breaking. Post to the relevant topic and good luck.