[Q] What can I do with system dump?

Search This thread

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
It is far from clear what you want to know?

You didn't say what happened to your phone, why it is "dead" or exactly what you mean by dead. CWM is a custom recovery but you didn't even tell us if you had it instlaled and therefore presumably have backups. Or if you are hopeful that CWM will fix your unspecified problem. And system dump is a vague term usually referring to making a backup on the command line using the dd utility.

We need a lot more information if you need help with something. Such as what happened to your phone, whether it boots to recovery or download mode, loads an ADB shell and so forth.

cokujin

Sep 2, 2014

You didn't say what happened to your phone, why it is "dead" or exactly what you mean by dead. CWM is a custom recovery but you didn't even tell us if you had it instlaled and therefore presumably have backups. Or if you are hopeful that CWM will fix your unspecified problem. And system dump is a vague term usually referring to making a backup on the command line using the dd utility.

We need a lot more information if you need help with something. Such as what happened to your phone, whether it boots to recovery or download mode, loads an ADB shell and so forth.

[Q] Somebody give me SCL23's build.prop(original)
I changed build.prop
My android phone is SCL23
AKA Galaxy S5

I am Korean but now I live in Japan for work.
So I used GalaxyS5 for KDDI AU
Some application didn't work on my phone.
Even impossible to install

So I tried to root. Then changed model and vendor from GalaxyS5 to Galaxy S4
But it didn't work for using those apps
So I copy all of texts of build.prop of GalaxyS4.
Then my phone dead.
AU's logo is the only thing I can see.

Before did that
I had do googling and find SCL23's CWM with Chinese letters.
It works well.
Factory reset? YES
Boot? NO

Can not normal boot
Odin mode

I connected phone to PC.
Fail to install USB driver.
I think it cause of phone's hardware and build.prop is not same.

I have external SDCard.
Odin work via USB
And I can go into CWM recovery mode.

So I think if I can find .zip, able to flash, of SCL23's build.prop
I can copy it into extsdcard with friend's android
Then go into CWM and flash it.

I need SCL23's build prop
And somebody make it .zip please
I don't know how to make it.

Please help me.

And thank you for read this poor English

cokujin

Sep 2, 2014

I wrote it few days ago.
Nobody replied to me.
So I thought many ways and did googling for recover.
I found link of system dump of SCL23.
So now I want to know about what can I do with it for my android phone's revive.

Please help me

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
If you have a system dump made while your phone was working properly, you can simply restore that to resolve your problems. It's not clear that that is the actual case though.

In the alternative, the apparent cause of your problems is a non-viable build.prop. You should be able to boot to CWM and then use a ADB shell under CWM to rename or delete /sideload the bad build.prop file and replace it with a good copy. If you didn't keep a good copy, you can download the stock firmware for your phone and use winrar to extract the proper stock build.prop for your phone.

More than likely, if you can boot to recovery mode, then you will be able to boot to download mode as well. So Odin use should be possible. You can use Kies to install a driver. But try CWM first.

cokujin

Sep 2, 2014
If you have a system dump made while your phone was working properly, you can simply restore that to resolve your problems. It's not clear that that is the actual case though.

In the alternative, the apparent cause of your problems is a non-viable build.prop. You should be able to boot to CWM and then use a ADB shell under CWM to rename or delete /sideload the bad build.prop file and replace it with a good copy. If you didn't keep a good copy, you can download the stock firmware for your phone and use winrar to extract the proper stock build.prop for your phone.

More than likely, if you can boot to recovery mode, then you will be able to boot to download mode as well. So Odin use should be possible. You can use Kies to install a driver. But try CWM first.

I tried everything you told to me.
But very problem is install USB driver.
Kies failed to find and install USB driver. It worked well before I did it.
So I can not do anything with ADB commands because of USB driver.
But only Odin work to phone.
So I can install CWM. And I can go into CWM recovery mode.
Of course I can go to Download mode.

Can I do something with Linux?
Can I mount My Phone with Linux without install USB driver and then change build.prop.bak to build.prop?

I really appreciate to your reply.
Thanks to your kindness.

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
If your USB driver was properly installed before the problem, it will continue to work just fine, at least for CWM mode. Build.prop will not interfere with that. So just go to the CWM command line and use the ADB commands to push (replace) the build.prop file.

Are you certain that Odin doesn't recognize the phone in download mode. Ensure that you are entering download mode by removing the phone battery, replacing it, then pressing and holding in order, the volume down, then home, then power key until you see the screen light up. Odin should see the phone and it should not matter if the build.prop file is corrupt. Only the normal boot will be affected by that.

If you have problems connecting ADB or Odin, a far more likely suspect is a bad USB cable. Try a different cable or USB port. And ensure that you are entering download mode in the manner described above. When Odin recognizes your phone, you can write a stock firmware image to you phone to recover.

I haven't used CWM for quite a while (I much prefer TWRP), but it should offer you a command line. So as an alternative, use your PC to write a good copy of the build.prop file to your SD card. Then in CWM you could mount the external SD card, then copy the file from the card to your system directory. In this method, you wouldn't even require the USB driver.

You have lots of options and there are lots of ttutorials on using CWM, ADB and so forth if you need elaboration. You should certainly be able to resolve this issue even though it may be a pain in the neck or somewhat intimidating if it is unfamiliar territory. Nevertheless you can fix it if you are patient.

If the worst case,an alternative would be to pay a cellular repair shop to do the software repair for you. Entirely up to you which is the better approach.