Why wifi may use more battery? screen shots inside...

Search This thread

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
c63e4904-c4f0-a7ba.jpg

Wifi on all night using cm9 alpha 3

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium App

Well now...that's what I like to see!! Thanks. Oh and what kernel and modem are you using?

Sent from either ET4G or NS4G using Xparent Tapatalk 2

qwerty12601

May 29, 2009
Those are the kinds of results I'm getting with Blazer 4.1/el29. I'm losing about 1%/hr with the screen off and at idle.

BUT, I am using juice defender and it shuts the wifi off.

cnstarz

Feb 10, 2010
i would like to add that 10 minute tests like this will accomplish nothing because they're simply not accurate. to get an accurate indicator, try testing while you're sleeping for 7-8 hours, like others have done in this thread.

TeamERA

Nov 2, 2011
Everywhere
First let me thank all of you, Im glad to have some back and forth conversation on this matter. What I am displaying in the OP is that there is some sort of wake lock before wifi is turned off when screen is off, so if you are constantly turning your screen on to view the time, or look at the home screen (anything really that dosnt involve pulling data) while wifi is on, you will use more battery; This may be ICS related, if anything its leak related, since our cm9 uses the leaked kernels.

And thanks John, Im sure the source will fix this if they dont have it fixed at the time of OTA.

@studdmufin, I hope you can see what Im trying to say, as Im not saying one way or the other that wifi/3g is better in standby for times when the phone is idle more than the time it takes for the "turn wifi off when screen off" kicks in; Im only saying that it keeps the phone awake 40% longer in that 10 minute window, so this will harm battery life.

@cnstarz, 10 minutes is a perfect time frame in this case, I think the reason why has been explained in this post.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: zanderman112

coiledwire

Oct 20, 2010
norcal
The OP provides interesting data. From his screenshots, wifi is a bigger load on the cpu. Even if wifi uses less battery than 3g, this cpu usage looks a place for improvement.

Sent from my SPH-D710

studdmufin

May 26, 2011
Well now...that's what I like to see!! Thanks. Oh and what kernel and modem are you using?

Modem fd05 and fd10 kernel (I'll probably try out fd19 modem soon cause I hear good things). I'll also will try just 3g tonight and compare the difference

studdmufin

May 26, 2011
I don't see the use in turning wifi off when screen is off. Wifi drains less when idle because it doesn't have to search for signal plus it is faster and you don't need to wait for it to turn on when your screen turns on

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I don't see the use in turning wifi off when screen is off. Wifi drains less when idle because it doesn't have to search for signal plus it is faster and you don't need to wait for it to turn on when your screen turns on

I am not turning mine off at all anymore. On FD16 mine reconnects when I get as close as 3 houses away now!

Reactions: patrao_n

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are some screen shots, tests were done with nothing sycning and screen off for 10 minutes, I even checked to see if any app was set to " sync on wifi only" . Now when wifi is on, it seems to sleep less and use more cpu until the " turn wifi off when screen off" kicks in. So if you are using your phone off and on before wifi turns off, you will kill your battery much faster.

Edit, these pics are from FC24 ICS leak, Im on CM9a3 FD16 kernel FD19 modem atm and same applies for this setup.

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

http://db.tt/SeVHuua5

http://db.tt/ZMWLztbt

http://db.tt/atcX2c7g

http://db.tt/XWNzNIOD

I thought this was common sense but i'm sure it'll help others. Thanks

Could you elaborate on which part is common sense?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Live in a low signal area like I do and turn off wifi in the house, see what happens.
    Good, thorough testing.

What I see here in simple terms:

Wifi on while actively using data(screen off/on and sync, or active usage) is going to be better on battery versus 3g/4g.

Wifi on while NOT actively using data, is causing some sort of wakelock which is not allowing the device to sleep properly. Thus reducing battery life, because its trying to do something, and not succeeding

Solution: If you are going to be using the device more than leaving it idle, use wifi. If you are the "I check every few minutes for texts and that's it" or "I use xda app or twitter every few minutes, but otherwise screen is off" kind of person, then use 3g.

If you can, turn off all data connections when not actively using data. This depends on if you let your phone sync or not though.

~ E.R.A.
    c63e4904-c4f0-a7ba.jpg

Wifi on all night using cm9 alpha 3