Will T-Mobile LTE tablet work on ATT network?

Search This thread

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
... and Verizon, too (well, OK only in one of VZW's newish "Band 4 xLTE" areas :) ). I did buy a $20/3GB plan from T-Mo when I got the tablet, and I switch SIMs around from time-to-time.

Don't know; didn't look, but normally I don't 'cause aftermarket ROMs on high-end Samsung devices tend to have missing features anyway so I never bother. I even like the standard kernel (despite it being non-OCed and sooo many revs back) that I'm not going to bother publishing an upgraded kernel like I usually do on the other tablets I've owned.

Received my P607t yesterday and requested an unlock through cellunlocker.net. They advertise 2-5 hours but I'm still waiting over 24 hours. How long did it take you? I'm concerned that this tablet is so new that it can't be unlocked or has a bad ESN. The screen is beautiful Btw. I do want to keep it if I can get it to run on AT&T.

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
They advertise 2-5 hours but I'm still waiting over 24 hours. How long did it take you?
I'd gotten mine back that same day, but it did take a few hours, and:
I'm concerned that this tablet is so new that it can't be unlocked
They did send me a followup E-mail that said something akin to "We couldn't unlock by the standard method, so we're going to try an alternate way to get your code", and I took that to mean "your device is too new, so let me call my connect at T-Mo who can get the code on the downlow" :)

IOW, you'll probably have to wait 'till Monday for any results.

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
I'd gotten mine back that same day, but it did take a few hours, and:

They did send me a followup E-mail that said something akin to "We couldn't unlock by the standard method, so we're going to try an alternate way to get your code", and I took that to mean "your device is too new, so let me call my connect at T-Mo who can get the code on the downlow" :)

IOW, you'll probably have to wait 'till Monday for any results.
Thanks, that helps. I got the same email. Looks like they have to do it manually now. Hope I get it on Monday. I agree with you that this is the best Android LTE tablet deal out there right now. Unfortunately, AT&T only got the 12.2 version and is way overpriced.

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Thanks, that helps. I got the same email. Looks like they have to do it manually now. Hope I get it on Monday. I agree with you that this is the best Android LTE tablet deal out there right now. Unfortunately, AT&T only got the 12.2 version and is way overpriced.
Got the unlock code. All looks good but getting pretty lousy network performance even on LTE.

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
but getting pretty lousy network performance even on LTE.
Location dependant, perhaps? Do you have another handset to compare it to? How does it compare with the T-Mo data you got for free?

I've been getting ~10MBit on average while on the CalTrain (but around where I actually live must be full of nutso NIMBYs, as neither T-Mo nor AT&T have a decent signal).

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Location dependant, perhaps? Do you have another handset to compare it to? How does it compare with the T-Mo data you got for free?

I've been getting ~10MBit on average while on the CalTrain (but around where I actually live must be full of nutso NIMBYs, as neither T-Mo nor AT&T have a decent signal).

I bought it used so haven't tried it on Tmobile. I do have a Galaxy s4 on AT&T and it does gets 10Mbs easily in the same location. I put in my AT&T SIM provisioned for an iPad but it should still work as I'm getting LTE. I'm going to call AT&T and see what I can do.

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I put in my AT&T SIM provisioned for an iPad but it should still work as I'm getting LTE.
Are you sure about the LTE provisioning (and that your Note 10.1 is actually on an LTE signal)? I, too, am using an iPad data-enabled SIM, and when I'd originally set that up for use on my OG Note 10.1 I'd used the IMEI of a 3G-only iPad of a relative- which meant that AT&T only provisioned me for HSPA data (you can login and check here for details). It wasn't 'till I'd switched my plan's IMEI to that of an LTE-enabled iPad that the SIM became provisioned for AT&T LTE, and I was then able to get LTE on my (new) Note.

Consider too that T-Mo's ROM on the P607T hides the data type from you somewhat, too. I use the (paid) app Network Signal Info Pro which gives me the real signal type (the free one might, too).

I'm going to call AT&T and see what I can do.
Nothing- I can guarantee that. As long as you're using the "broadband" APN, that's where their responsibility ends (other than what I'd said above).

dmunjal

Dec 2, 2006
Are you sure about the LTE provisioning (and that your Note 10.1 is actually on an LTE signal)? I, too, am using an iPad data-enabled SIM, and when I'd originally set that up for use on my OG Note 10.1 I'd used the IMEI of a 3G-only iPad of a relative- which meant that AT&T only provisioned me for HSPA data (you can login and check here for details). It wasn't 'till I'd switched my plan's IMEI to that of an LTE-enabled iPad that the SIM became provisioned for AT&T LTE, and I was then able to get LTE on my (new) Note.

Consider too that T-Mo's ROM on the P607T hides the data type from you somewhat, too. I use the (paid) app Network Signal Info Pro which gives me the real signal type (the free one might, too).

Nothing- I can guarantee that. As long as you're using the "broadband" APN, that's where their responsibility ends (other than what I'd said above).

The SIM I've been using is provisioned for LTE and it has worked on a Note 8.0 and iPad mini.

Last edited:

Zombeezy

Jul 11, 2012
I'm looking for an answer for the other route - advantages / disadvantages of getting an AT&T or Verizon of the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 (LTE) and using it on T-Mobile.

Although I have Verizon FIOS and have been happy, recently moved to T-Mobile for cellular because I wanted to reduce costs and have more phone options such as my current Galaxy Nexus from Google. With whole family on T-Mobile cellular now, should be pretty cheap to add tablet to plan.

I know buying the T-Mobile SM-P607T purchase has % financing but that shouldn't be the only reason to buy it from T-Mobile. I expect to root device and use CM 11 since much work has been done for that.

So .. buy from T-Mo to use on T-Mo, or buy Verizon or AT&T version from, say Amazon, to use on T-Mobile?

Thank you for your thoughts!

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
I know buying the T-Mobile SM-P607T purchase has % financing but that shouldn't be the only reason to buy it from T-Mobile.
You'll get more bands (T-Mo US' LTE) IIRC, but I don't know if the AT&T version has voice (the T-Mo version does not). Saying "Note 10.1 2014" isn't really enough- you'll need to find out exactly which SM-P60X version you're comparing as well.
I expect to root device and use CM 11 since much work has been done for that.
This is what I've done and it works pretty well.

Zombeezy

Jul 11, 2012
Thanks kcrudup, was hoping you'd see this! :)

Argh, fingers slipped on phone, haha - didn't mean to send yet.

The Samsung website is crap to find out info. Thought there were only a few choices:

-SM-P607TZKETMB - Samsung Galaxy Note™ 10.1 2014 Edition (T-Mobile)
-SM-P605VZKEVZW - Samsung Galaxy Note® 10.1 2014 Edition (Verizon), Black 32GB

Still fishing for AT&T version info but I heard an email come in and I bet you have already replied!

Last edited:

kcrudup

Mar 27, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
The magic of "Auto-Subscribe"! :)
Thought there were only a few choices: SM-P607TZKETMB (T-Mobile)
Well, going by your post, I'd implied (but did not verify) that there was an SM-P60X being sold by AT&T, which I'd imagine would be one of the SM-P605 models (LTE w/o the T-Mo bands).

If you don't want to buy from T-Mo then SIM-subsidy unlock, there's always the option of buying a gray-market SM-P605M (IIRC, the "M" variant has (some) US LTE bands- be sure to research that) from somewhere like Negri or Amazon.

In any case I'd avoid the Verizon model, as they tend to not accept unsigned images (Knox or not) which prohibits rooting, and probably don't support all the US LTE bands.

Reactions: Zombeezy

Zombeezy

Jul 11, 2012
Cr@p, I am really messing up today!! Had a whole message and blew it away on a refresh.

OK, I just checked - no AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, only the Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2 Pro.

It was the mention of T-Mobile not having voice (being able to call out as a phone) that I guess Verizon has, plus the fact that little is mentioned here (or elsewhere) on the SM-P607T that got me thinking about maybe putting the AT&T version (doesn't exist) or the Verizon version on T-Mobile.

So, other than hearing about a Labor Day weekend pricing special that could come up, looks like I'll swing by T-Mobile after work for a 0%-financed Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 :)

Much obliged again!!

Zombeezy

Jul 11, 2012
Should be a fun weekend then!

So ...

1. Don't need to SIM unlock because staying with T-Mobile.
2. Knox will be tripped, not a concern.
3. Need to check out: Towelroot then CM11 (or does CM 11 have root in its "package"?
4. Need to check out: TWRP

Sweet!!!!!!!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The magic of "Auto-Subscribe"! :)
    Thought there were only a few choices: SM-P607TZKETMB (T-Mobile)
    Well, going by your post, I'd implied (but did not verify) that there was an SM-P60X being sold by AT&T, which I'd imagine would be one of the SM-P605 models (LTE w/o the T-Mo bands).

If you don't want to buy from T-Mo then SIM-subsidy unlock, there's always the option of buying a gray-market SM-P605M (IIRC, the "M" variant has (some) US LTE bands- be sure to research that) from somewhere like Negri or Amazon.

In any case I'd avoid the Verizon model, as they tend to not accept unsigned images (Knox or not) which prohibits rooting, and probably don't support all the US LTE bands.