[App] B&N eReader

Search This thread

xavierdemon

Jul 23, 2008
Excuse my ignorance about the B&N eReader but can you import ebooks you already own into this reader or will it only except publications from the B&N website?

buckyg

Aug 12, 2007
KC Area
I am not seeing any option to import existing ebooks, such as the ones I have for eReader. B&N owns eReader, if I remember correctly. Wonder if the two apps will "merge" at some point, or I'm guessing they may want people like me to switch over to the new reader.

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Google Pixel 4a
Yer looks ok, downloaded the free books, but I can't view my .epub books I already have, seems pointless application unless I can read my existing epubs, perhaps I am doing something wrong again...:confused:

captobie

Apr 24, 2008
Yer looks ok, downloaded the free books, but I can't view my .epub books I already have, seems pointless application unless I can read my existing epubs, perhaps I am doing something wrong again...:confused:

I suspect they have to be in the folder that the app uses. I haven't dug around yet to find just where the program is storing my books.

After the first five minutes, my initial impressions:

- Visually very appealing
- Instant access to your B&N library (proud nook owner here, so I have a lot of e-books from B&N).
- Doesn't sync yet with the nook (but neither does the BlackBerry or iPhone version)
- You can read e-newspapers from the app (I don't think you can do that yet with the other versions, but maybe they've been updated)

If you buy e-books from B&N this is definitely a must-have app. Otherwise there are more flexible options out there.

Farmer Ted

Nov 30, 2008
I tried importing a book from my peanut press folder on my sd card to the proper one on main memory (where Dracula was downloaded), and it didn't recognize it. I love the fact that the bonehead who made the cab put the BN folder on the root of the device, instead of in program files.

captobie

Apr 24, 2008
I tried importing a book from my peanut press folder on my sd card to the proper one on main memory (where Dracula was downloaded), and it didn't recognize it. I love the fact that the bonehead who made the cab put the BN folder on the root of the device, instead of in program files.

It's in Program Files on mine. But I'm not happy about the boneheaded move to put the Books folder within the program folder in main memory. It might be preferable to install the app to a storage card instead of main memory. Unless someone can find a way to get the program to look for books on the storage card.

parker38

Sep 11, 2008
Version 1.0.0.27 is now on B&N's website
images.barnesandnoble.com/PResources/download/WinMo/BNeReader_1.0.0.27.CAB

Riverplace

Nov 9, 2007
Hawaii
It's in Program Files on mine. But I'm not happy about the boneheaded move to put the Books folder within the program folder in main memory. It might be preferable to install the app to a storage card instead of main memory. Unless someone can find a way to get the program to look for books on the storage card.
I agree. At minimum I want my books on the storage card, even better if the whole program is there too.

If you buy e-books from B&N this is definitely a must-have app. Otherwise there are more flexible options out there.

I'm still deciding which reader to go with. Which one do you like better?

Rumball

Aug 30, 2007
Toronto
I agree. At minimum I want my books on the storage card, even better if the whole program is there too.

I'm still deciding which reader to go with. Which one do you like better?

After installation I was able to cut and paste the whole installation directory to my Storage Card, update the shortcut and the app worked just fine.

pepesz

Feb 22, 2008
+1 for Mobireader

It would be nice if they'd update the application to better fit the HD2 (non D-Pad phones)

THUDUK

Aug 12, 2007
eastbourne
Google Pixel 4a
Download a sample from B&N, anyone will do or the sample of your book you already have..

Then go to your book folder, copy across your, EPUB file already converted from any other form in Calibre etc...then rename it with the exact same long 13 digit number as the one you downloaded...

then ok the image and title are wrong but the book is all correct inside...

Anyone get any further than this

Last edited:

xavierdemon

Jul 23, 2008
Download a sample from B&N, anyone will do or the sample of your book you already have..

Then go to your book folder, copy across your, EPUB file already converted from any other form in Calibre etc...then rename it with the exact same long 13 digit number as the one you downloaded...

then ok the image and title are wrong but the book is all correct inside...

Anyone get any further than this

Good tip, infact if you download a sample of the book you have already then everything looks and works fine :), the thumbnail has a small sample sticker on it though but that ain't a problem :)

Riverplace

Nov 9, 2007
Hawaii
Rumball: I was able to move it to my storage card as you suggested - thanks.

Mobipocket works ok for me but I have the HD2 and it's hard to turn the pages. I'm still shopping around, I'm taking a closer look at the calibre conversion program.

Feb 23, 2010
All,

This app was developed to sync with your B&N ebook library only, ie not to read epub's that you might have already downloaded to your phone or from other sources. If you have a book from B&N then it should be in your ebook library in which case it can be synced and downloaded. That's not to say you can't trick it into reading other downloaded books per other comments.

Also note it's been developed specifically and only for the HD2... mileage will vary if tried on another phones.

Richard

Last edited:

xtacybyme

Jun 30, 2008

what would those options be? i have many .pdf's .cbr's i've collected rom around the net. could you guide me in the right direction to one of the better ebook readers for many files types.

thanks