[HOW-TO] Enabling Wireless N on Evo- Android Eclair 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

chuckhriczko

Inactive Recognized Developer
THIS IS FOR ECLAIR 2.1 DO NOT USE THIS IN A FROYO 2.2 ROM. SINCE THE 2.2 UPDATE WIRELESS N IS SUPPORTED OUT THE BOX. NO NEED FOR THIS HACK IN FROYO 2.2

edited by toastcfh to avoid mishaps

Update: Thanks to Calkulin there are now flashable zips on my blog post as well as just the driver. Just flash them like any other update.zip file.

So the Evo's WiFi chip supports Wireless N technology, which allows for faster throughput on your WiFi connection. To use this you obviously need a Wireless N capable AP or router. Basically, for some reason (I am going to assume battery life?), HTC decided to disable the wireless n capability of this chip but this can be fixed. Since we don't have the source for the driver we need to use a hex editor. Note, if using AOSP wireless n will already be enabled using the AOSP driver. But if you are using a Sense rom then you will need to do the following. Also I am including a download link with the driver that you can just push if you don't want to get dirty with a hex editor. Anyway, here we go:

1. Download a hex editor (I just googled hex editor and downloaded this one: http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm)
2. Go into a command prompt or shell and perform:
Code:
adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko ./bcm4329.ko.old
adb pull /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko ./bcm4329.ko
This will pull the file and make a backup in case you need to replace the backup.
3. In your hex editor open the file you just pulled. Now, in two spots HTC added 'nmode' in here to disable Wireless N. All we have to do is modify this string to be any other 5 character string and wireless N will be enabled. I did a search and replace and replaced 'nmode' with '-----' (Note: Do not include the single quotes).
4. Save the file.
5. Perform the following in a command prompt or shell:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko

Now wireless N should be enabled on your device. If not, restart it and try. If you ever want to restore your original just perform the following:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb push bcm4329.ko.old /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko

Below is the download link for the already modified wireless driver.
http://objectunoriented.com/android/?p=35

Last edited by a moderator:

slowpain

Jul 12, 2008
I downloaded the file and pushed it to my phone. I restarted the phone and once it came back up it connected on 802.11n. So far been working perfectly.

liquidhaste

Jun 2, 2009
Lakeland
Sounds good, will try when I get home. But I have to say I was expecting this after I heard that the incredible is getting a patch to enable wireless n.

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
wow. clever little patch. im excited to try this! hopefully will at least allow better throughput if not also better signal with wireless n! thanks!!

on a technical side note, any reason why your /system is mtdblock3 while mine is mtdblock4?

chuckhriczko

wow. clever little patch. im excited to try this! hopefully will at least allow better throughput if not also better signal with wireless n! thanks!!

on a technical side note, any reason why your /system is mtdblock3 while mine is mtdblock4?

That's just the command I used when I mounted the system directory as writeable when I had my Hero. Should it be 4 instead of 3?

chuckhriczko

Sounds good, will try when I get home. But I have to say I was expecting this after I heard that the incredible is getting a patch to enable wireless n.

I have actually had this working for maybe a week now in my latest Superersonic rom but since I haven't had time to fix the root problem with that rom I just decided to post this seperately.

poporo

Aug 1, 2007
most of the power issues/concerns with wireless-n are targetted at the AP/Router i think... wondering if anyone has been seeing a drop in battery power though.

Calkulin

Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21+
Here is the mod in zip format to make it easier, restore is also attached

Attachments

• EVO_Enable_Wireless_N.zip
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,299
  • EVO_Disable_Wireless_N.zip
    102.4 KB · Views: 585

rustyman14

Jun 12, 2008
Probably a dumb question but im guessing since you have provided us with a zip file we can just flash it now??? And even dumber question this will still work with wireless g routers right?

chuckhriczko

Probably a dumb question but im guessing since you have provided us with a zip file we can just flash it now??? And even dumber question this will still work with wireless g routers right?

Correct. Thanks to Calkulin you can now use the zips he provided (downloadable here or on my blog post) to flash instead of using adb.

And yes this will still work with a/b/g routers.

chuckhriczko

never used the hero, but this makes sense. on the EVO, pretty sure its mtdblock4.

would you be okay if i add this to the update.zip builder im putting together with credit going to you and a link to this thread?

No problem bro. I'd be honored. My work is your work. Anything any of us do on here should be freely used by anyone else assuming proper credit is given.

chuckhriczko

Should have brought my laptop to work today, oh well will give it a go tonight. Can't wait!:D

You can download the files through your phone's browser and flash through that as long as you NAND unlocked everything. Just make sure you copy Calkulin's update.zip files to the root of the sd card after downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One more time, if your connection DOES NOT exceed the theoretical/practical limits of G, ie 54/~30 mbits, you will NOT see a difference between G and N.

Wow, there's a lot of misinformation floating around here. N is going be faster as long as you have some reasonable (say 10-15Mbps) internet connection speed. G in my experience doesn't even get to 10Mbps... maybe if you're real close to the router, but not in other rooms of your house.

You can quibble with the numbers I'm throwing out, but G isn't going to get anywhere near 30Mbps... N is a lot faster throughout my house, and my connection is 16Mbps.