[Q] Heimdall - "Claiming Interface Failed!"

Search This thread

nate633

Jun 22, 2010
I am trying to use Heimdall to flash a kernel to my ET4G, but running into a problem. It is able to detect my device, but when I use the flash command I get the following message:

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
ERROR: Claiming interface failed!

This is Heimdall 1.3.0, OSX 10.7.1

Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

nate633

Jun 22, 2010
Just to cover the obvious, you've enabled USB debugging, right?

Yes, it is enabled. I've tried every combination of USB settings and running the command with SU privs. I've installed Heimdall twice, to make sure it wasn't a bad install, and I've repaired permissions, and multiple reboots of both devices.

nate633

Jun 22, 2010
Solved!

It was my Mac. I'd been having issues ever since installing Lion, especially with WiFi and beach balls. So, I did a complete erase and install, and the first thing I did was install Heimdall and ran it, worked perfectly!

g4me0v3r

Jan 21, 2009
California
Is there any way around this? I would like to avoid reinstalling my OS. I believe that I have the same exact set-up (with Lion). This is my very first time Rooting, coming from the HTC Touch Pro 2. Forgive my noobness...

:confused:

Last edited:

admang

Feb 20, 2011
I'm having the same problems. Tried a few different things to get it to work, to no avail... Anyone else? Tried using ODIN in Wine as well, but no dice there.

chGSD

Dec 20, 2010
For what it is worth, heimdall and heimdall-frontend from 64bit Linux, using the official packages off the website yields this:
Code:
# heimdall flash --repartition --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --primary-boot boot.bin --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin
Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:

Detecting device...
Claiming interface...
Setting up interface...
ERROR: Setting up interface failed!

I will keep digging around for solutions but I am fresh out of ideas. It detects the device, claims the interface and errors out in the setting up from what the output says.

phearus

Oct 18, 2011
I am trying to use Heimdall to flash a kernel to my ET4G, but running into a problem. It is able to detect my device, but when I use the flash command I get the following message:

Detecting device...
Claiming interface...

Hi - I had the same issue with OSX 10.6.8 and odin 1.3.1.

I got it to work - without having to reinstall everything on my mac (what kind of fix is that?). Anyway - the fix. I just reinstalled odin - restarted - and tried again - and it worked!

Good-luck.

dav1boy

May 23, 2009
PacNW

I'm getting the same error as well. the funny thing is that i used zedomaxs method found here: xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1277000
and was able to root the first time around, kernel, cwm recover, su installed etc..

but every time i went to flash a new kernel or rom, clockwork (cwm) would not recognize the .zip on my sd card. i tried switching out multiple cards to no avail. not sure if it was an issue with the version of cwm or not but i decided to go back to stock and start the process over again. now i get this same error u guys are in terminal.

everkleer

Jan 27, 2011
I was having the same "claiming interface error" and so I tried reinstalling as suggested in one of the posts. When I reinstalled, I noticed a message saying /System/Library/Extensions/Heimdall.kext wasn't properly installed, so after the installation completed, I restarted and deleted the kext file then reinstalled. After that, everything worked correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: pr0necr0

aaronlong

Dec 26, 2011
Atlantic City
I was having the same "claiming interface error" and so I tried reinstalling as suggested in one of the posts. When I reinstalled, I noticed a message saying /System/Library/Extensions/Heimdall.kext wasn't properly installed, so after the installation completed, I restarted and deleted the kext file then reinstalled. After that, everything worked correctly.

How did you uninstall and reinstall the kext file?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

MasterBunnyFu

Dec 11, 2008
I'm getting this error on OS X 10.6.8 and can't resolve it. I've reinstalled heimdall multiple times, both from the .dmg and from source. Nothing seems to help.

Regarding the error about /System/Library/Extensions/heimdall.kext, I've noticed that the installer apparently installs it owned by your current user and group. You can verify this causes the error by attempting to load it manually with the command:

Code:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/heimdall.kext

It will give the dialog that people have been seeing, plus an error on the command line about permissions. Running the following commands fixes it, allowing the previous command to work succesfully:

Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/heimdall.kext

I still have no idea what is causing my errors, though. My only idea is that maybe it is yet another permissions issue that I haven't tracked down, possibly with libusb.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. Otherwise, I will keep poking and if I by some chance figure it out, I will post here.

Success100

Jan 31, 2008
Cleveland
i had so many issues with heimdall that i just pulled out my old vista laptop and got her done in no time! heimdall is a cluster if you ask me

MasterBunnyFu

Dec 11, 2008
Fixed Heimdall "Claiming Interface Failed!" error!

Ok, I have a solution for the interface error. After considering the fact that the one step had permissions issues, it eventually occurred to me that, maybe, just maybe the rest of the issues are all permissions related as well. That said, if you install the heimdall-1.3.1-mac.dmg as root, it works flawlessly.

Open an OS X terminal, then (assuming you downloaded the .dmg to Downloads) type the following commands:

Code:
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ sudo open heimdall-1.3.1-mac.dmg

Enter your password then go through the setup normally. You should not see any errors, including the one about heimdall.kext, it will reboot, and it should work.

NB: If you have your phone plugged in in download mode and restart your computer, you may need to restart your phone and re-enter download mode for heimdall to detect it.

Hope this helps!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think I've solved this problem...

Detecting device...
    Claiming interface...

I think I've solved this problem.

Check my blog post here: http: //scottwallacesh.blogspot.com/2012/03/getting-heimdall-to-work-on-your-mac.html
    For what it is worth, heimdall and heimdall-frontend from 64bit Linux, using the official packages off the website yields this:
    Code:
    # heimdall flash --repartition --pit s1_odin_20100512.pit --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs --dbdata dbdata.rfs --primary-boot boot.bin --secondary-boot Sbl.bin --param param.lfs --kernel zImage --modem modem.bin
    Heimdall v1.3.1, Copyright (c) 2010-2011, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
    encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
    development please consider donating:

Detecting device...
    Claiming interface...
    Setting up interface...
    ERROR: Setting up interface failed!

I will keep digging around for solutions but I am fresh out of ideas. It detects the device, claims the interface and errors out in the setting up from what the output says.
    I ended up just rooting through Odin; installed VMWare on my iMac, and used Odin to root it..took all of 5 minutes!

my new phone, the Galaxy Note

show off :D