[ROM] Official Sony Xperia ICS Beta ROM for arc S, ray, neo V

Search This thread

theynd

Apr 4, 2007
I use the 'Stock with CWM' kernel from here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1515148

It's shouldn't make any difference for you since I believe yours and this kernel are the same except from the possibility to press Volume down at boot when the buttons light op and take a backup to the SD card (and other tools).

But you could try it - and the two other kernels in the link above. The kernel is flashed in fastboot mode (turn on, hold menu, plug USB in) with flashtool.

Another difference though could be that I'm actually running Arconium ICS 1.0 from the link above - that's the official Sony ROM but with some unnecessary bloatware stripped, I think. You can flash that after installing a kernel with CWM and using "Install zip from SD-card" but backup first so you can restore. I don't think you need to Wipe factory to defaults when using the ZIP file with the arconium ROM update - but I'm not sure.
None of my suggestions here should make a difference though... your videos shouldn't freeze since we're on the same hardware - and almost same software already, right?

Nothing I keep skipping the video recording, I'll try arconium 1.0

Many thanks for your interest.

noowb00

Feb 14, 2012
dvfk said:
NOW I get it :)

If you let it turn off itself automatically it does NOT lock if I turn if on before the delay.

The bug is: If I lock it MYSELF it ALWAYS locks - ignoring the delay :(

Hehe. Maybe my english is a little bit twisted. Sorry about it.
If you lock it yourself, you have to press the LOCK/power button, right? So the screen should be locked because you pressed the 'LOCK' button. ...

You understand what i'm saying right? I don't think its a bug :D

Sent from my MT11i using Forum Runner

theynd

Apr 4, 2007
I'm going back to 62 with kernel 3021 of doomlord and v6 supercharger that is impressively well, with pain in my heart the ics is still in its infancy or at least (and making a constructive criticism) games are not all fluids, the launcher fluid is not nothing, the camera compared to the penalty of .62 is because I think the pictures lose quality, with the chamber 62 is very rare that a picture or no color blur or poorly focused with this camera buff, videos jump and when you finish recording a video takes forever to save and then on the thumbnail image display, meanwhile you can not reuse the camera: (

Lords of Sony appreciate your effort to get this update as soon as possible to ICS and I trust that these points as they polish after trying on different devices and different forms lt18 installing your official ICS via updating both via PC companion horn. Tft trying different files I am convinced that there will be more users with the same problems.

I apologize for my English

Last edited:

bengtner

Dec 19, 2009
For you all experiencing lag problems with the stock ICS ROM I can share my experience.

I was very disappointed with the performance of the ROM after the official upgrade. A lot of lag swiping between screens, 15s delay to show contacts etc. Since I've read some posts about a complete reset of the phone solved this issue, I tried factory reset and reinstalled all applications, but with the same result.

I was about to give up and downgrade to GB, when I decided to try a fresh ICS install with SEUS. And voilà! It's like a new phone! All problems are gone, and the phone is very smooth and responsive.

My taking from this is you should not try to upgrade to ICS with PC Companion. Make a fresh install with SEUS. Or do a factory reset before upgrading with PC Companion. I guess this will work as well. It seems like the attemp to save all installed apps and settings ****s up the installation, and you can't fix this without a clean reinstall.

I'm afraid Sony will have to pay a high price for this problem, and unfortunately ICS will also have a share of this as well...:(

pteale

Jan 7, 2010
Is ICS officially out for Xperia Ray now then?
When I run PC companion it says my phone is up to date but its still on v2.3.4
And often the PC companion just crashes.

noowb00

Feb 14, 2012
pteale said:
Is ICS officially out for Xperia Ray now then?
When I run PC companion it says my phone is up to date but its still on v2.3.4
And often the PC companion just crashes.

Maybe it hasn't arrived at your area yet. I'm in the same situation as you too. Since I want ICS sooner, I just flash Nordic's firmware. So, why wait? It's already here! Flash it!

Sent from my MT11i using Forum Runner

Babis_ECE

Aug 1, 2010
Athens
Hi KalleD,

First of all I have to mention how great this is, having an active Sony Developer participating in the XDA Developers forum and the online dev community. Coming from a Motorola, where they don't even unlock the bootloader, it is really remarkable! Well done, you gained a client for the future. :)

I wanted to ask, where should we state some pointers/bugs after trying the official Xperia Arc S Rom that is out, to our Xperia Arc. (Yes, we couldn't wait for another 1.5 month..!)
Should we mention them here? By e-mail perhaps?

BTW, The Arc is a great device, and runs ICS smoothly even if it is a single-core 1GHz device.

Thanks.

Babis_ECE

Aug 1, 2010
Athens
Hi Kalled,

Following your answer here are my thoughts after using Xperia Arc S' ROM on the Arc:

- Camera definitely needs improvement. I read that Android 4.0.4 brings such improvement, so an update (even after the first release in a couple of weeks) should be considered, or a re-write of Sony's Drivers: The iPhone 4S has a Sony 8MP Camera and the photos you can capture with it are significantly better than the Arc's, and its a shame because I think you can do really better with the same lens.

- When you drag down the notification bar and want to press the "X" button on the upper right corner to clear all notifications, it isn't pressed easily, it usually takes 2-3 clicks to "engage". Hope you get what I mean.

- Phone Application sometimes loads in 3-4 seconds where it should take 1-2 secs, if not instantly.
After all it is a phone, a very smart and sexy one, but a phone nontheless. ;)

3 things I think are worth mentioning.

Have a nice day and thank you for reading this.

Babis

Reactions: okty2k

pteale

Jan 7, 2010
Still no ICS update from Sony for my Xperia Ray.
Don't think I'll be buying a Sony phone again they take too long to update there phones.

eliangela

Jun 4, 2009
My wifi isn't working

Hi, guys!

I'm Android developer and I've installed the ICS beta in my cellphone. Unfortunately, my Wifi and Bluetooth is not working.
The Wifi MAC Address appears "Not Available" in Configurations -> About the phone -> Status.

What can I do about that?

Thanks in advance!

Almena92

Apr 12, 2013
Madrid
Hi, guys!

I'm Android developer and I've installed the ICS beta in my cellphone. Unfortunately, my Wifi and Bluetooth is not working.
The Wifi MAC Address appears "Not Available" in Configurations -> About the phone -> Status.

What can I do about that?

Thanks in advance!

why you install a beta version that have years?
You have an official (very bad) stable version, and a lot of roms based on stable version. Try one of this, dont use the beta.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi .
    Today we release an Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) beta ROM, as a follow up to the previously released ICS alpha ROM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJbDl8aikUk

In line with our goal to support the open XDA developer community, we want to give you the chance to try out our coming upgrade to ICS (Android™ 4.0) in this beta version. While the ICS alpha ROM was an early preview, the ICS beta ROM have passed some certifications such as Modem type approval.

As with the alpha release you should have an unlocked boot loader http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com, and have the knowledge to switch between different ROMs.

Find the links to download the packages at Developer World.
    Again we appreciate your feedback on the beta ROM in this small survey. Some of the improvements in the Beta release compared to the alpha release:
    • Updated UI
    • Updated Widget picker
    • Lockscreen
    • Connectivity turned on
    • Updated email client
    • Added quick dial

Lastly, we do follow the comments and new threads posted at XDA and we will very shortly release the open source archives for custom ROM community. I know the FreeXperia team working on CyanogenMod have made lot’s of progress on their custom ICS ROM and we try to support the team within the frames that we are allowed to operate.

/Karl-Johan “Kalle” Dahlström
    Sony Developer Program
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/
    nice work SE/Sony Dev team!

since i got the 2nd post here might as well make it useful ;)

important info:

ok so i dont have much time so will make this quick...

1. if u are on any Xperia 2011 device other than ARC S, RAY, NEO V then DO NOT FLASH THIS... cross flashing is NOT recommended... wait for the devs of ur devices to port it and provide update.zips for easy flashing

2. make sure that u are on stock .42 firmware (though .58/.62 may also work)

3. the ZIP file provided by SE/Sony CANNOT BE FLASHED VIA RECOVERY!!!! extract its contents and read on how to individually flash each file

4. after individually flashing each file reboot device (fastboot reboot), wait for boot up and then power off device; then hotboot (fastboot boot boot.img) any kernel for UR DEVICE which has recovery ,e.g. latest CM9 kernel, remember HOTBOOT IT; DO NOT FLASH IT DIRECTLY... once device starts booting enter recovery and flash the packages u want (GAPPS, wifi/bt enabler, Superuser Fix)... after that reboot device... now u should be back on stock SE/Sony ICS Beta kernel and device should boot normally

5. those guys who were having gsm/keypad crashes on leaked ROM check if gsm/keypad works correctly on this build

i will keep monitoring this thread and provide inputs when i can

useful links:

How to get ROOT,WIFI+BT, CWM Recovery, Face unclock + Gapps for ICS BETA
    ARC/ARC S users, i have created an Advanced Stock kernel:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520518

recovery + init.d support + autorooting + other stuff

its still based off stock kernel... i have began work on my DooMKernel for ICS-Beta :)
    After reading Sony blog again, we will be given Performance Toolbox if we choose to update to ICS :D So unnecessary services can be turned off. I know it might be able to do with Rom toolbox or similar app, but given it's built in is truly remarkable. :) Can't wait Sony!

Updated – comment from the Developer World team:

We we would like to clarify that above mentioned “challenges” have already been addressed by our SW engineering teams. For instance, we have not only optimised the RAM management by making the RAM usage for internal apps as good as possible, but we will also introduce a Performance assistant at start up when running ICS. In this Performance assistant, you can enable and disable certain services that you might not want to run on your phone, in order to optimise the performance of your phone.

We have also worked with quite a few partners in regards to architecture optimisations for SQL handling. In addition, we have also optimised the hardware usage. And as a result of this article, a number of app developers have notified us that they are evaluating if HW optimisation will be needed or not for their apps.

The aim of this article was to share our knowledge regarding the different characteristics for ICS and Gingerbread in an open way, as we strive to have an open communication with the developer community. All in all, we would like to point out that it’s our clear aim to deliver an as good ICS update as ever possible. As you might have seen on the Sony Xperia Product Blog, we’re not far from releasing it now. Thanks for all the feedback!

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/...ical-differences-between-gingerbread-and-ics/
    ok so i dont have much time so will make this quick...

1. if u are on any Xperia 2011 device other than ARC S, RAY, NEO V then DO NOT FLASH THIS... cross flashing is NOT recommended... wait for the devs of ur devices to port it and provide update.zips for easy flashing

2. make sure that u are on stock .42 firmware (though .58/.62 may also work)

3. the ZIP file provided by SE/Sony CANNOT BE FLASHED VIA RECOVERY!!!! extract its contents and read on how to individually flash each file

4. after individually flashing each file reboot device (fastboot reboot), wait for boot up and then power off device; then hotboot (fastboot boot boot.img) any kernel for UR DEVICE which has recovery ,e.g. latest CM9 kernel, remember HOTBOOT IT; DO NOT FLASH IT DIRECTLY... once device starts booting enter recovery and flash the packages u want (GAPPS, wifi/bt enabler, Superuser Fix)... after that reboot device... now u should be back on stock SE/Sony ICS Beta kernel and device should boot normally

5. those guys who were having gsm/keypad crashes on leaked ROM check if gsm/keypad works correctly on this build

i will keep monitoring this thread and provide inputs when i can