How moddable is the G2? Galaxy Note user looking to switch

Search This thread

MR.change

Nov 9, 2011
Baghdad
Hi everyone :)

I'm a long time SGS2 and a galaxy Note user, and lately I've been thinking about buying an LG G2 (unlocked international).
since I'm a power user who hates Samsung's heavy skin, and seeing how close LG's skin is to that of it's home rival, I need to know how open to modding and flashing the G2 is?
the N7000 was pretty moddable but use anything other than samsung's stock based ROMs, and you have to deal with sudden reboots and crashes, and that's the case with all AOSP ROMs for me (currently running OMNI ROM on it, and it still reboots out of the blue at times)

so is the LG G2 anay different? is it easy to flash new ROMs to? how stable are AOSP ROMs on it? any features to be lost? (like the BIONZ image sensor on sony's z1 for example).

also any other advice and opinions on the device would be highly appreciated :)

thx folks :)

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Aosp are generally getting a lot better, a few reboots every day is to be expected, however. The phone is quite moddable, you can install custom recoveries and flash custom Roms, although the bootloader is locked.
You will miss out on quite a few features, but some of them can be flashed back. You might find stock best for you and since you are an sgs2 user I'm sure you will appreciate the fact that dorimanx develops kernels for this beast. Best of luck.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: MR.change

jiayit

Apr 14, 2013
Singapore
Features to be lost - IR blaster, Qslide, and what not if you're running an AOSP ROM. Knock on works for most AOSP ROMs but Knockoff only works for some.

There're still some bugs with the ROMs, yes, but most should be pretty stable for you to use your G2 as your daily driver.

Sent from my g2 using xda app-developers app

shriom_manerker

Mar 23, 2011
Margao,Goa
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 5T

I'm a long time SGS2 and a galaxy Note user, and lately I've been thinking about buying an LG G2 (unlocked international).
since I'm a power user who hates Samsung's heavy skin, and seeing how close LG's skin is to that of it's home rival, I need to know how open to modding and flashing the G2 is?
the N7000 was pretty moddable but use anything other than samsung's stock based ROMs, and you have to deal with sudden reboots and crashes, and that's the case with all AOSP ROMs for me (currently running OMNI ROM on it, and it still reboots out of the blue at times)

so is the LG G2 anay different? is it easy to flash new ROMs to? how stable are AOSP ROMs on it? any features to be lost? (like the BIONZ image sensor on sony's z1 for example).

close your eyes, buy the nexus 5 :) this is ocming from a X galaxy nexus user ! its easy as **** ! fastboot oem-unlock ,BANG root and do **** from fastboot ! while on the g2 its not that simple, its tough and many people have semi bricked their devices. so if your a flashahoilic like how i used to be, i suggest you get the nexus 5 . so why did i buy a g2 ? frankly speaking, it has everything i want to use in its STOCK ROM ! yup its a dafuq moment right there mate :p touch to wake,manual focus camera,a HUUUGE battery , good screen on time, a remote :p ( turned off the projector in college lectures :p ROFL etc etc ) i love this phone and just waiting for kitkat to be released officially. and also , this phone DOES NOT SLOW DOWN over time ! my friends note 2 got dam slow after about 2 weeks while the g2 is going just buttery smooth even on 4.2.2 . so it depends upon what you want :)

edit- lg's ui looks similar to the ****whiz of samsung but it does not slow down like ****whiz does :p

Last edited:

MR.change

Nov 9, 2011
Baghdad
close your eyes, buy the nexus 5 :) this is ocming from a X galaxy nexus user ! its easy as **** ! fastboot oem-unlock ,BANG root and do **** from fastboot ! while on the g2 its not that simple, its tough and many people have semi bricked their devices. so if your a flashahoilic like how i used to be, i suggest you get the nexus 5 . so why did i buy a g2 ? frankly speaking, it has everything i want to use in its STOCK ROM ! yup its a dafuq moment right there mate :p touch to wake,manual focus camera,a HUUUGE battery , good screen on time, a remote :p ( turned off the projector in college lectures :p ROFL etc etc ) i love this phone and just waiting for kitkat to be released officially. and also , this phone DOES NOT SLOW DOWN over time ! my friends note 2 got dam slow after about 2 weeks while the g2 is going just buttery smooth even on 4.2.2 . so it depends upon what you want :)

edit- lg's ui looks similar to the ****whiz of samsung but it does not slow down like ****whiz does :p

Haha! no man I'm not a flashaholic or anything :p I just want something that works and works smoothly, can you believe I never ever flashed anything on my SGS2? it just worked beautifully on GB, but then I got the note and all that changed, it was slow as ****! had to flash a tons of different ROMs on it! :/
hmmm..now I'm seriously considering the G2! so how's the RAM consumption? the LG UI looks heavy but you guys are saying it's light? like...finally lag free? yay! hmm, and how's the stability of stock? my friend's S4 randomly reboots even on stock, but my brother's HTC ONE never ever rebooted in the 4 months we've bought it :)
so is the G2 that stable with stock? and did LG improve it's record at software updates? do you expect to receive kitkat soon?

also, the 16 GB version is only 420$ where I live, while the 32GB version is 510$ unlocked, I'm thinking of getting the 16GB version just because if I go with the 32GB then the note 3 is just 70$ away hahahaha!
I don't install games, so I don't think storage would be an issue, what do you think? and is it different when installing ROMs? the 16 from the 32 GB version? I don't think it matters since flashing ROMs shouldn't affect the partitioning table (well unless you specifically flash a partitioning file!), but who knows how LG does things.

also...I think I'm getting either the Gold or the Red versions since they're Matte! any of you had an experience with those?

nice one witht he projector btw :p hahaha

Last edited:

vPro97

Oct 22, 2013
Denmark
Samsung Galaxy S6
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
Haha! no man I'm not a flashaholic or anything :p I just want something that works and works smoothly, can you believe I never ever flashed anything on my SGS2? it just worked beautifully on GB, but then I got the note and all that changed, it was slow as ****! had to flash a tons of different ROMs on it! :/
hmmm..now I'm seriously considering the G2! so how's the RAM consumption? the LG UI looks heavy but you guys are saying it's light? like...finally lag free? yay! hmm, and how's the stability of stock? my friend's S4 randomly reboots even on stock, but my brother's HTC ONE never ever rebooted in the 4 months we've bought it :)
so is the G2 that stable with stock? and did LG improve it's record at software updates? do you expect to receive kitkat soon?

also, the 16 GB version is only 420$ where I live, while the 32GB version is 510$ unlocked, I'm thinking of getting the 16GB version just because if I go with the 32GB then the note 3 is just 70$ away hahahaha!
I don't install games, so I don't think storage would be an issue, what do you think? and is it different when installing ROMs? the 16 from the 32 GB version? I don't think it matters since flashing ROMs shouldn't affect the partitioning table (well unless you specifically flash a partitioning file!), but who knows how LG does things.

also...I think I'm getting either the Gold or the Red versions since they're Matte! any of you had an experience with those?

I would generally consider the 32 gb option the better option here since it's really 10 gb of storage vs 24 gb of storage. You can't mess with partitions - at least nobody tried.

I would slam a case on it anyway since it's so fragile. The zero-gap screen technology makes the digitizer break if the screen breaks.

MR.change

Nov 9, 2011
Baghdad
I would generally consider the 32 gb option the better option here since it's really 10 gb of storage vs 24 gb of storage. You can't mess with partitions - at least nobody tried.

I would slam a case on it anyway since it's so fragile. The zero-gap screen technology makes the digitizer break if the screen breaks.
yeah..but it's also almost a 100$ more :/
I'll have to consider this more carefully I think!
lucky I rarely drop my phone, and with something as big and heavy as the note to be only dropped 3 times in two years (on carpet when I'm lazily using it in bed :p) I think I can manage a relatively small device just fine....but yeah a case is a smart idea I guess!

thx mate :)

freebee269

Feb 27, 2013
yeah..but it's also almost a 100$ more :/
I'll have to consider this more carefully I think!
lucky I rarely drop my phone, and with something as big and heavy as the note to be only dropped 3 times in two years (on carpet when I'm lazily using it in bed :p) I think I can manage a relatively small device just fine....but yeah a case is a smart idea I guess!

thx mate :)

i would most definitely go with the 32gb version. especially if you like to have a bunch of music files or videos on your phone. this phone has a sweet DAC in it, so it makes playing my flac files that much better. i have a 32gb g2 and i have 14gb of space left. if i had a 16gb g2 i'd have low space. g2 tweaksbox, g2 xposed and gravitybox [jb] give you everything you'd want on stock rom that aosp/cm have for jelly bean.

MR.change

Nov 9, 2011
Baghdad
i would most definitely go with the 32gb version. especially if you like to have a bunch of music files or videos on your phone. this phone has a sweet DAC in it, so it makes playing my flac files that much better. i have a 32gb g2 and i have 14gb of space left. if i had a 16gb g2 i'd have low space. g2 tweaksbox, g2 xposed and gravitybox [jb] give you everything you'd want on stock rom that aosp/cm have for jelly bean.
Alright, so ladies and gentlemen, it's time for an update:

I bought a white D802 32GB version a couple of days ago, but didn't really have much time to get online, so far I like it, the speed, the battery life, but there are also a few quirks, occasional stuttering (nothing major, just every once in a while), KNOCK ON doesn't always work from the first time for some reason, and the screen..even though great by any standard, but damn AMOLEDs have spoiled my eyes, I can notice the color shifting from angles and it bothers me at times!

but yeah.......I'm part of the LG G2 XDA club now :) thx for everything folks :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Aosp are generally getting a lot better, a few reboots every day is to be expected, however. The phone is quite moddable, you can install custom recoveries and flash custom Roms, although the bootloader is locked.
    You will miss out on quite a few features, but some of them can be flashed back. You might find stock best for you and since you are an sgs2 user I'm sure you will appreciate the fact that dorimanx develops kernels for this beast. Best of luck.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Features to be lost - IR blaster, Qslide, and what not if you're running an AOSP ROM. Knock on works for most AOSP ROMs but Knockoff only works for some.

There're still some bugs with the ROMs, yes, but most should be pretty stable for you to use your G2 as your daily driver.

Sent from my g2 using xda app-developers app
    Also on the G2 you can mod just about everything with the Xposed mod, check it out and you will get an idea of what you can do to the G2 with that alone.

Sent from my Verizon LG G2 using XDA Premium 4