[Q] Rooting without internal SD

Search This thread

joegalaxy66

May 27, 2014
Hi,

I got a Galaxy Y from a friend and I was trying to MOD it. I discovered that the internal SD is not available... and no way to get it back. I tried to wipe data, hard reset, stock firmware upload with ODIN but no way to get the internal SD back. I tried ADB in order to try to push the ZIP files in a ROM folder but of course no permissions as it's not rooted.
So, no way to root my mobile without copying the files to the SD?

Thanks in advance
Joe

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
I dont know what you mean by internal sd - galaxy y 5360/6102 doesnt have internal sd - it uses a mico sd card to which you will find the slot if you take the cover off and look on the right hand side of the phone

place any files you want on the sd card either via card reader or usb cable

please note that questions should be asked in the question and answer section and NOT the general section

joegalaxy66

May 27, 2014
I dont know what you mean by internal sd - galaxy y 5360/6102 doesnt have internal sd - it uses a mico sd card to which you will find the slot if you take the cover off and look on the right hand side of the phone

place any files you want on the sd card either via card reader or usb cable

please note that questions should be asked in the question and answer section and NOT the general section

Thanks Marcus,
I did not know the mobile had no internal SD.
That's the kind of information that saves a lots of time and work!
Thanks again.

Joe

joegalaxy66

May 27, 2014
Ok,
I tried to use a Miscro SD on the GT-S5360 but there was no way to have it acccepted by the phone.
I formatted the Micro SD (Sandisk 2G) in many ways (full formatting) and it was mounted OK with all my other phones (Galaxy S, LG L5II, Huawei) but not for the Galaxy Y. I tried to format the card with the other Samsung too but it did not work.. :(

I've read a lot around about the "blank SD" issue on many mobiles and tried some of the suggested tricks but with no luck.
So, assuming there is no way to have a MicroSD installed on the phone, I resume the original question:

- Is there any way to root the GT-S5630 without an SD card?

Thanks in advance
Joe

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
well unless your sd card slot is damaged there should be no reason why it shouldnt work

the sd card needs to be formatted in fat32

there best way to do it is to inset your sd card into your phone
goto phone settings
storage
unmount sd card (sd must be unmounted before you can format it)
format sd card

you can also format it via your pc using a card reader as long as its fat32 but its best to format it using the phone or format it again using the phone as sometimes cwm may have problems mounting the sd card if you use something else to format it

You might find universal root tools via google but the quickest most simple way is just to use a root zip file and flash it in recovery or cwm

joegalaxy66

May 27, 2014
well unless your sd card slot is damaged there should be no reason why it shouldnt work

goto phone settings
storage
format sd card

you can also format it via your pc using a card reader as long as its fat32 but its best to format it using the phone or format it again using the phone as sometimes cwm may have problems mounting the sd card if you use something else to format it

You might find universal root tools via google but the quickest most simple way is just to use a root zip file and flash it in recovery or cwm

Thanks Marcus, your replies are very quick :).
I tried formatting the SD card FAT32 with different Allocation unit sizes, always full formatting, never quick.

The SD card is recognized as BLANK SD CARD (or unsupported filesystem) when inserted with the phone ON. The same occurs when I switch ON the phone with the SD card alredy inserted. The card is never mounted

The internal formatting functionality of the phone seems to be not working at all. The function FORMAT SD CARD is enabled but when launched it lasts just few seconds and nothing happens (the card is not mounted neither automatically nor by hand).

There could be some compatibility issues between the card and the phone and it could be worth to buy another SD to test the phone card reader again, but I'm not confident it will work.

Phone specs
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband: S5360XXMC2
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXMI1

Thanks again
Joe

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
Thanks Marcus, your replies are very quick :).
I tried formatting the SD card FAT32 with different Allocation unit sizes, always full formatting, never quick.

The SD card is recognized as BLANK SD CARD (or unsupported filesystem) when inserted with the phone ON. The same occurs when I switch ON the phone with the SD card alredy inserted. The card is never mounted

The internal formatting functionality of the phone seems to be not working at all. The function FORMAT SD CARD is enabled but when launched it lasts just few seconds and nothing happens (the card is not mounted neither automatically nor by hand).

There could be some compatibility issues between the card and the phone and it could be worth to buy another SD to test the phone card reader again, but I'm not confident it will work.

Phone specs
Android Version: 2.3.6
Baseband: S5360XXMC2
Kernel version: 2.6.35.7
Build number: GINGERBREAD.XXMI1

Thanks again
Joe

allocation unit size is I think 16 kilobytes but just select default - quick format is fine if the card is not damaged

you can try using mini tool to delete the partition on the sd card and create a new one and format it to fat32
you can then try reformatting it on your phone after

Mini Tool Download

joegalaxy66

May 27, 2014

goto phone settings
storage
format sd card

allocation unit size is I think 16 kilobytes but just select default - quick format is fine if the card is not damaged

you can try using mini tool to delete the partition on the sd card and create a new one and format it to fat32
you can then try reformatting it on your phone after

Thanks for your help Marcus,
I tried MiniTool, with both FAT and FAT32 (the card is a 2GB card) but the result is still the same: BLANK SD CARD.
I will try to buy a new one tomorrow and see if it makes any difference...

Thanks again
Joe