HTM A6W tips and tricks

Search This thread

cappa72

Jun 27, 2012
Dear Owners,

I did some tricks for the HTM A6(W) MT6572 phone, which has got only ex4 system, cache, data partitions (eMMC memory type).
Please NOTE that these written things are related only HTM A6W, which has got MT6572 platform with EXT4 system partitions.
You need to know that some of the HTM A6 contains ubifs file system, which is complety different from this one.
Applying these files for other than HTM A6W phone can cause serious damage in the phone (brick)

Before you did any modification on your phone, DO a complete system backup!

These tricks are:
Rooting is really smooth and easy with the help of framaroot.

CWM recovery 6.0.1.2, originally compiled by Bruno Martins, modified by me, with the help of Maste Shifu bgcmgn’s MTKTools.
Link: CWM 6.0.1.2
md5sum: 3d847d2ed1d5fa3dbacd0aa860c5874d
You can install it via Mobileuncletools or with Flashtool (advanced users also can use dd command via adb)
Modifications:
- /etc/fstab.recovery is modified as per dumchar_info file
- the default.prop file was modified from stock recovery from HTM A6W
- the default curtaing.png was modified with text
- the init.usb.rc was copied from stock boot.img of HTM A6W

Repartition to 3GB data partition
I calculated the maximum size of the /data partition and reduced the internal SD card to the minimum size.
This action is also known as „repartition” or „extended userdata partition modification”.
This is about the modified content of the EBR1 file.
The modified ebr1 file link: ebr1
md5sum: 6b7f46b79f43979df7ddc7f4a11a26ba
If you do not know what it is about, please do not use it!
In the attached picture you can see that the displayed storage size in the settings menu is fake...
What I mean: using the settings --> storage menu item, the data partition is displayed as 4,12GB ;) which is impossible, but if you use the settings --> applications menuitem, you can see the real value: 3GB. And this is true, it is really 3GB (As I mentioned I calculated it, and I was really surprised that this is the reality. Usually MT6572-based phones’ /data partition can be extended to about 2.5-2.6GB, but it is 3GB.
How to apply the change?
There are many ways to flash the ebr1 file.
1, Flashtool, with marking only the ebr1 part for download.
2, dd command, if your phone is rooted. Save the new ebr1 file (named as EBR1-almost-max-v1) to the following directory: /storage/sdcard0 ; You need to have acces to the adb terminal. In theminal, use the following commands.
su -
dd if=/storage/sdcard0/EBR1-almost-max-v1 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=512

- If your phone is rooted: with the help of MTKDroidTools (thanks to rua1).
- If your phone is not rooted: with the help of flashtool.
- CWM backup is also a must before any additional modification.

Finally, I cannot take any responsibility if you damage your phone by using the tricks above.
It worked for me.

This phone was mine only for some days.

Credits:
Base of the CWM – bgcmgn
MTKTools scripts for porting CWM – bgcngm
ebr1 calculation for this phone - cappa72 (me)

Last edited:
Reactions: plutonio

plutonio

Feb 11, 2011
It works for me

hello, just want to let you know that your tricks work on my HTM A6(W) that I bought last week. I had to work through the problem of correctly installing and using the utilities you mentioned, because I'm not used to them, but all went smooth.
Just a question: is there any drawback with the current internal storage partitions? what about the 0Mb for internal SD?

Francesco from Italy

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear Owners,

I did some tricks for the HTM A6(W) MT6572 phone, which has got only ex4 system, cache, data partitions (eMMC memory type).
    Please NOTE that these written things are related only HTM A6W, which has got MT6572 platform with EXT4 system partitions.
    You need to know that some of the HTM A6 contains ubifs file system, which is complety different from this one.
    Applying these files for other than HTM A6W phone can cause serious damage in the phone (brick)

Before you did any modification on your phone, DO a complete system backup!

These tricks are:
    Rooting is really smooth and easy with the help of framaroot.

CWM recovery 6.0.1.2, originally compiled by Bruno Martins, modified by me, with the help of Maste Shifu bgcmgn’s MTKTools.
    Link: CWM 6.0.1.2
    md5sum: 3d847d2ed1d5fa3dbacd0aa860c5874d
    You can install it via Mobileuncletools or with Flashtool (advanced users also can use dd command via adb)
    Modifications:
    - /etc/fstab.recovery is modified as per dumchar_info file
    - the default.prop file was modified from stock recovery from HTM A6W
    - the default curtaing.png was modified with text
    - the init.usb.rc was copied from stock boot.img of HTM A6W

Repartition to 3GB data partition
    I calculated the maximum size of the /data partition and reduced the internal SD card to the minimum size.
    This action is also known as „repartition” or „extended userdata partition modification”.
    This is about the modified content of the EBR1 file.
    The modified ebr1 file link: ebr1
    md5sum: 6b7f46b79f43979df7ddc7f4a11a26ba
    If you do not know what it is about, please do not use it!
    In the attached picture you can see that the displayed storage size in the settings menu is fake...
    What I mean: using the settings --> storage menu item, the data partition is displayed as 4,12GB ;) which is impossible, but if you use the settings --> applications menuitem, you can see the real value: 3GB. And this is true, it is really 3GB (As I mentioned I calculated it, and I was really surprised that this is the reality. Usually MT6572-based phones’ /data partition can be extended to about 2.5-2.6GB, but it is 3GB.
    How to apply the change?
    There are many ways to flash the ebr1 file.
    1, Flashtool, with marking only the ebr1 part for download.
    2, dd command, if your phone is rooted. Save the new ebr1 file (named as EBR1-almost-max-v1) to the following directory: /storage/sdcard0 ; You need to have acces to the adb terminal. In theminal, use the following commands.
    su -
    dd if=/storage/sdcard0/EBR1-almost-max-v1 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0 bs=1024 seek=512

- If your phone is rooted: with the help of MTKDroidTools (thanks to rua1).
    - If your phone is not rooted: with the help of flashtool.
    - CWM backup is also a must before any additional modification.

Finally, I cannot take any responsibility if you damage your phone by using the tricks above.
    It worked for me.

This phone was mine only for some days.

Credits:
    Base of the CWM – bgcmgn
    MTKTools scripts for porting CWM – bgcngm
    ebr1 calculation for this phone - cappa72 (me)