Recovery advise wanted

Search This thread

drag&fly

Nov 19, 2013
For the last few days I have been googling/reading/ following threads and reading old posts. I'm having trouble deciding which version of TWRP is the most stable for N900T and allows full back up/restore with the least likely hood of bootloop. Maybe I missed something but I've tried to do my homework before asking. TIA...

cun7

Feb 13, 2014
For the last few days I have been googling/reading/ following threads and reading old posts. I'm having trouble deciding which version of TWRP is the most stable for N900T and allows full back up/restore with the least likely hood of bootloop. Maybe I missed something but I've tried to do my homework before asking. TIA...

The latest version works just fine. Use that.

Reactions: cerj

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY

Use Philz cwm. No one has had an issue. Twrp is not worth the headaches you will get.

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

cun7

Feb 13, 2014
Correct less but with Philz I have not seen anyone have any issue and it is fully customized

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

I've had plenty of issues with that recovery, Reverting itself to previous versions, not saving my settings, double touches when selecting things. The UI is boring and archaic IMO. TWRP is fully customizable and since the GUI is 100% .xml I can modify it entirely simply by dropping a file on my sd card....

I use what I use, to each his own. But I wouldn't make such bogus claims about somebody else's work simply because you have a bias for whatever reason I don't know.

Reactions: VeNuMuS and cerj

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
I've had plenty of issues with that recovery, Reverting itself to previous versions, not saving my settings, double touches when selecting things. The UI is boring and archaic IMO. TWRP is fully customizable and since the GUI is 100% .xml I can modify it entirely simply by dropping a file on my sd card....

I use what I use, to each his own. But I wouldn't make such bogus claims about somebody else's work simply because you have a bias for whatever reason I don't know.

Have you read the threads.

For the op. Check around to all 3 recovery forums and you decide for your self

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

Last edited:

cerj

Recognized Themer
Nov 1, 2012
NOLA
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Have you read the threads. Majority are having issues with twrp cause it is junk. The devs don't help much even when log cats are sent. But you do you and I do me

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3
We all have our favorite recovery, then we have the one that works... Sometimes they are the same and sometimes they are not... But calling someones hard work Junk, when Its clearly not, is not following the spirit of XDA... Your making this way too personal...

Reactions: cun7

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
We all have our favorite recovery, then we have the one that works... Sometimes they are the same and sometimes they are not... But calling someones hard work Junk, when Its clearly not, is not following the spirit of XDA... Your making this way too personal...

You are right. It was personal because I know we all take risk when messing with our devices. I lost all my info. I was/am mad. Like I said to the op do your homework.

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

---------- Post added at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

nijel8

Dec 24, 2011
All over US
Google Pixel 5a

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

Apparently you haven't read the twrp thread too. The developer for note 3 is very helpful, responding and fixing bugs right away. 100% agree with @cun7. Philz CWM is so overwhelmed with all kinds of UI and touch driver settings that you can easily waste a day just to make it feel right. I personally find it too touch sensitive.
And something you probably don't know which I consider very important... it uses secure adbd binary which means no adb root r/w access for /system. Recovery is for doing " low level" stuff on the system you usually can't do when android is running and most of the time you need adb for that. I understand the secure-adbd concept in android but in recovery...? Really...?

Last edited:
Reactions: cun7

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
Apparently you haven't read the twrp thread too. The developer for note 3 is very helpful, responding and fixing bugs right away. 100% agree with @cun7. Philz CWM is so overwhelmed with all kinds of UI and touch driver settings that you can easily waste a day just to make it feel right. I personally find it too touch sensitive.
And something you probably don't know which I consider very important... it uses secure adbd binary which means no adb root r/w access for /system. Recovery is for doing " low level" stuff on the system you usually can't do when android is running and most of the time you need adb for that. I understand the secure-adbd concept in android but in recovery...? Really...?

I agree but I going with functionality. Meaning it will flash a rom without soft bricking device. I have used twrp for years. Note2 galaxy S3 and others but I became a flashing king trying to recover from a simple rom flash. When asked in thread I would get pm telling me to change recovery. I did and no issue since. I have flashed over 20 roms and it all good. We can all agree that my statement was out of line hence I deleted it. But in same token it holds water for my experience.

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
I'm on TWRP 2.6.3.8 and have never had an issue with it. Restores everything fine. I've even flashed a ROM and then restored the data partition of a different ROM backup and it was fine. Everything restored as it should have. I also have only ever used TWRP going back to my Bionic days with Safestrap and then my VZW S4 was on TWRP.

I thought the only issue was using TiBu to restore backed up apps caused bootloops.

drag&fly

Nov 19, 2013
I'm on TWRP 2.6.3.8 and have never had an issue with it. Restores everything fine. I've even flashed a ROM and then restored the data partition of a different ROM backup and it was fine. Everything restored as it should have. I also have only ever used TWRP going back to my Bionic days with Safestrap and then my VZW S4 was on TWRP.

I thought the only issue was using TiBu to restore backed up apps caused bootloops.

I used 2.6.3.8 and boot looped. I did ask what I could ha en done wrong and was told I probably used wrong recovery..? So many conflicting stories with TWRP. I used it on my S3 and note 2 and never had a notable problem. Could be the introduction of Knox etc... causing the problems. But I will give Philz a go. Touch sensitivity etc seems a bit trivial. I just want to flash/ recover and not bootloop. I want it to be functional. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

drag&fly

Nov 19, 2013
I went with Philz. .... I like the challenge of learning a new recovery and I like the UI. No problems so far. Made a couple back ups. One stock and one of Wicked and no problems restoring either one. Also backed up my EFS using the aroma installer for CYA purposes. Thanks for all of your input.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use Philz cwm. No one has had an issue. Twrp is not worth the headaches you will get.

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

I've had less issues with TWRP than CWM..
    Correct less but with Philz I have not seen anyone have any issue and it is fully customized

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

The latest version works just fine. Use that.
    Have you read the threads. Majority are having issues with twrp cause it is junk. The devs don't help much even when log cats are sent. But you do you and I do me

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3

TWEAKED 2.0 NOTE 3