[ROOT] Very Simple E980 root after E98010p update

Search This thread

mopo01

Jan 17, 2011
Chicago
I copied this from your site.

How To ROOT the Optimus G Pro E-980
after installing the latest update to E98010p

1. Install the drivers if you have not done so yet from http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-E980 (under Software Update tab)

2. Install this program (Kingo Android Root) from download.com: http://download.cnet.com/Kingo-Android-Root/3000-2094_4-75996768.html

Notes: You get a download.com installer initially. I was offered two programs I would never use so I declined those and got the actual program from the installer. Nothing was forced so don't freak out. The actual program is 22.5mb.

3. Open the Kingo program after install.

4. Put your phone in USB Debugger mode and connect it to your PC.

5. Select "Install PC Software" on your phone popup and let the Kingo program do its job.

6. The program will attempt root in Odin mode at first and fail and will then automatically use the correct mode and succeed.

Once the program completes you will have rooted your LG Optimus G Pro with "SuperSU" installed. Very simple. Next step is to install a Recovery.

I tried to post this on XDA but I don't have 10 posts so I gave up there. I go there often for solutions and new information but rarely post, but people seemed to be struggling with this and I thought I should give something back. Someone with link posting power can repost this to the forum if you want but please give me some credit for finding this on YouTube. Thanks!!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

doublen1

Jan 20, 2010
Idaho
Worked for me, now trying it on my Nexus 7 (Flo) ...:good:

**Update**

Nope on the Nexus

Last edited:

cougar214

May 16, 2011
I'm gonna take a stab at this and say Freegee will still be required for installing recovery(CWM)?

cougar214

May 16, 2011
Can you tell me, or anyone can tell me, why Rom Manager doesn't work? It says it has Loki support but when I try to use it I get the android with the red symbol denoting it can't boot into recovery. I'm just curious.

andygold

Aug 20, 2007
Northern NY
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I've read that Kingo and vroot are malicious root programs that might be sending IMEI info to Chinese servers. Then, supposedly other phones can be set up with your credentials. I don't have any way to verify if the aforementioned is true, but I'm just passing it along...

Maybe a web search of vroot and Kingo are in order.....

cougar214

May 16, 2011
If that is true, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, I'm sure a web search on the matter could tell you what to look for. Such as hidden malicious apps installed, etc. It would be a prudent move to check into it but nothing to panic over until and/or unless there is some truth to it. Just my 2 cents on the matter....lol

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:02 PM ----------

Just because you brought it up Andy, I went into all my settings and apps. This method DOES install an app in your phone. I probably should have wrote down the app info before I removed it but I forgot to. it's not rocket science to figure it out on your own though. You see a blue icon with some Chinese writing on it. I went ahead and removed it from my phone just to be safe. But chances are IF this app is sending ANY data to a foreign server, it has done so already because it's been in my phone for a few hours already before I noticed it.

I did read online about the uploading of IMEI numbers but ONLY to build a database from but that feature has since been removed because of the concerns it raised.

Gunstra

Sep 24, 2012
Selinsgrove
www.ZothNET.com
Worked fine for my LG Optimus G Pro E980. I also ran Malware Bytes afterwards and found no malware, then I ran CM Security and the only thing I found was an sms fake phishing vulnerability which I am almost sure didn't come from the root process.

Deweywiii

Feb 7, 2014
Georgetown
So just want to verify on this software is working for E980 10p update? Has anyone else found 10p root method to work without reflashing.? I am almost tempt to hold out on 4.4 OTA update coming for my phone.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Deweywiii

Feb 7, 2014
Georgetown
I know that but is it going to work for my E980 I checked out the site and the E980 isn't listed as a phone on its list I'll try it out.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I copied this from your site.

How To ROOT the Optimus G Pro E-980
    after installing the latest update to E98010p

1. Install the drivers if you have not done so yet from http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-E980 (under Software Update tab)

2. Install this program (Kingo Android Root) from download.com: http://download.cnet.com/Kingo-Android-Root/3000-2094_4-75996768.html

Notes: You get a download.com installer initially. I was offered two programs I would never use so I declined those and got the actual program from the installer. Nothing was forced so don't freak out. The actual program is 22.5mb.

3. Open the Kingo program after install.

4. Put your phone in USB Debugger mode and connect it to your PC.

5. Select "Install PC Software" on your phone popup and let the Kingo program do its job.

6. The program will attempt root in Odin mode at first and fail and will then automatically use the correct mode and succeed.

Once the program completes you will have rooted your LG Optimus G Pro with "SuperSU" installed. Very simple. Next step is to install a Recovery.

I tried to post this on XDA but I don't have 10 posts so I gave up there. I go there often for solutions and new information but rarely post, but people seemed to be struggling with this and I thought I should give something back. Someone with link posting power can repost this to the forum if you want but please give me some credit for finding this on YouTube. Thanks!!!

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda app-developers app
    This is so awesome but I can't post links so....

...wait for it!!!:p

I can post it on my own web site tho: free-press dot us
    really it was so simple

I just installed it and the program worked as promised, thanks man