ICS Updates (Not) Fixing Random Reboot and Other Problems

Did the new ISC update fix the random reboot problem for you?

• Total voters
Search This thread

spotdog14

Apr 27, 2011
I have a question and didn't want to start my own thread about it. I don't think I have this type of reboot problem that is listed in this thread but figured I would ask here first.

Here is the problem, usually 3-4 times in an hour I will be looking up stuff on the internet and the machine will freeze and reboot. It gets so bad that I hardly even use it anymore. It really happens randomly, I could be browsing the internet, or reading a book, or listening to music and it will reboot.

Is that the problem listed here, or is it something else?

Rodimus80

Jun 10, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just wanted to add this new problem I am having alongside the rebooting problem. Now I am starting to lose Internet. WiFi still says I am connected. Only way to get Internet working again is to disable and then enable WiFi. Anyone else experiencing this? I have tried numerous ICS ROMs and still same thing. This has recently just started happening.

sbliner

Jun 8, 2011
I just wanted to add this new problem I am having alongside the rebooting problem. Now I am starting to lose Internet. WiFi still says I am connected. Only way to get Internet working again is to disable and then enable WiFi. Anyone else experiencing this? I have tried numerous ICS ROMs and still same thing. This has recently just started happening.

I have stock ROM and yes it occurs occasionally.
Currently I'm fighting the various issues with:
- Auto Airplane Mode (by Don): To Disable and re-enable wifi when the display is off.
- Best Wifi: To autoswitch between two access points in house, as apparently Android doesn't do that.
- Wake Lock: To keep the cpu running during screen off, and avoid the reboots/related massive power drain issues. Only been using this 1 day.

gsantovena

Mar 9, 2012
Guatemala
I'm using Megatron 1.0.4 ROM with Guevor's test16 kernel and no SOD or RR since installed. I have tried many other ROMS, and this one is the most stable.

HTH

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

edd080

Aug 26, 2011

Iam also having the same issue, and I am on stock rom, sometimes I even have to reboot my tablet. Very frustrating!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

GalaxySdude

Mar 2, 2011
Installed the update 10pm PST, so far so good. I never experienced random reboots previously, but the SoD was killing me. No problems so far. Also, is it me or did they tweak the UI to make it faster? Let's see if this thing wakes up from a 15 minute snooze.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
FYI - I was one of the beta testers for this firmware and while it does fix issues, it did NOT fix any of the reboot issues for me, however.

It did fix the screen turning on by itself and it also made Xauth IPSec PSK VPN's work as well...

But, until they fix the reboot issues, I will be going back to Honeycomb, I guess...

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
FYI - I was one of the beta testers for this firmware and while it does fix issues, it did NOT fix any of the reboot issues for me, however.

It did fix the screen turning on by itself and it also made Xauth IPSec PSK VPN's work as well...

But, until they fix the reboot issues, I will be going back to Honeycomb, I guess...

Oh, dear.

Well, any improvement is better than none, but hopefully they'll fix the real issues soon.

Incidentally, anybody else notice a new bug in this release? My lcd backlight (set manually to the lowest level) now flickers subtly when typing onscreen; it didn't before.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Oh, dear.

Well, any improvement is better than none, but hopefully they'll fix the real issues soon.

Incidentally, anybody else notice a new bug in this release? My lcd backlight (set manually to the lowest level) now flickers subtly when typing onscreen; it didn't before.

Agreed - While I'm really concerned with the reboots, I don't see why they shouldn't release the fixes that they do have...

What do you guys think about this? They wanted to swap Transformers with me (they give me a new one, I give them mine) in order to do "regression" testing. I basically declined because in the end, I would end up losing:
1. My perfectly-installed, $40 anti-glare screen protector!
2. I'll probably lose the ability to NVFlash, which means I'd lose the ability to go back to Honeycomb (and have it be stable) as well....

Am I crazy or would you guys decline this offer as well? Besides, I know that my Transformer works perfectly - who know what issues the new one will have (screen bleed, etc)....

GalaxySdude

Mar 2, 2011
Personally, if you have one of the early, easy-to-root models (I do), I wouldn't give that up. But if you feel that doing the swap is for the greater good (and the new unit gets a new warranty), then go for it. Just my 2 cents.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Personally, if you have one of the early, easy-to-root models (I do), I wouldn't give that up. But if you feel that doing the swap is for the greater good (and the new unit gets a new warranty), then go for it. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I have an early model as well (NVFlash'able), which is the main reason I don't want to swap it out for a new one. It's killing me, because I REALLY want to help out here and get them my Transformer (so we KNOW that they can reproduce the reboots), but I just don't feel that I should "lose" features in order to help.

I've asked if they can simply return my actual Transformer after they are done testing, but never got a reply, so I'm guessing that they are not interested in doing that...

Plus, I would lose the damn $40 anit-glare protector, which, if you've installed a screen protector on a device this large, you know how hard it is to even get the screen protector on properly (with no bubbles, etc). I considered it a win just to get that damn protector on without ruining it and I don't want to lose it!!

Last edited:

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
Yeah, I have an early model as well (NVFlash'able), which is the main reason I don't want to swap it out for a new one. It's killing me, because I REALLY want to help out here and get them my Transformer (so we KNOW that they can reproduce the reboots), but I just don't feel that I should "lose" features in order to help.

I've asked if they can simply return my actual Transformer after they are done testing, but never got a reply, so I'm guessing that they are not interested in doing that...

Plus, I would lose the damn $40 anit-glare protector, which, if you've installed a screen protector on a device this large, you know how hard it is to even get the screen protector on properly (with no bubbles, etc). I considered it a win just to get that damn protector on without ruining it and I don't want to lose it!!

I can now confirm that Sleep of Death is not fixed on the new firmware. It's not even been 10 hours since I updated, and I've already had my first SOD. :-(

EP2008

Jan 2, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I just sent my transformer back. It's one of the first models and the warranty is almost up.

I got tired of the reboots, random shutdowns, no deep sleep on the keyboard and the terrible screen issues, so it's about time they fix those.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
I just sent my transformer back. It's one of the first models and the warranty is almost up.

I got tired of the reboots, random shutdowns, no deep sleep on the keyboard and the terrible screen issues, so it's about time they fix those.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Problem is - sending them the unit isn't going to allow them to fix it becuase they don't have a fix yet! Bascially, you are just going to be without a tablet at all now, and as of yet, there is nothing they can do to fix it!

I have arranged to "swap" Transformers with Asus so that they can see the reboots that I'm seeing - we basically just set it up so that I'll get my original Transformer back when they are done. I don't gain anything, but if it helps them solve the ICS issues for all, I'd be glad to help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been checking for firmware updates daily since Asus posted the news that they were going to release another update fixing the random reboot problem we've been experiencing.

True to their promise, I just got an update from Asus on my transformer. Downloading it right now. Will let you guys know the firmware number once it's done updating. Hopefully this update fixes the random reboot for good.

Update:

I have a US B90 Transformer.

Android version remains at 4.0.3.
    The updated kernel version is 2.6.39.4.
    Battery Usage is fully functional now after the update, showing individual app usage.

So far so good I would say.

Update 2:

Seems like the update did not fix the random reboot problem for everyone. I started a poll here to get an idea of how well the update worked in terms of fixing RR.
    Please give it some time after installing the update before participating in the poll.

Update 3:

9 hours after installing the update, I just saw the dreaded Asus loading screen... Well... quite disappointed to report that the update did not fix the random reboot issue for me.

Update 4: (4/25/12)

24 hours after installing the 2nd update, saw one random reboot, but no hang on boot screen. I say it's an improvement. I don't mind living with a device that reboots on its own once in a while during sleep, as long as it doesn't hang and drain all the battery.

Update 5: (4/26/12)

Just saw the dreaded boot hang... I guess I'm back to Wake Lock again...
    So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they haven't fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it does work for you, it must work for other people?

He's nothing but a troll, infecting every thread about this subject and discrediting people.

Mr. Horndroid, go look at the output of the tool that ASUS provided to some people on the stickied thread. Do you see that the device crashes when it tries to resume from pm_suspend (if you even know what this means)? There is a bug in the firmware and it IS affecting some devices. A factory reset does not help in this case. If your tablet is working fine, just get the hell outta here and don't look back.

Man, i can't believe how arrogant people can get...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
    So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it doesn't work for you, it must not work for other people?

So why do you feel the need to try to discredit every post in which someone says they haven't fixed their issues by doing factory reset?
    Do you seriously believe that just because it does work for you, it must work for other people?
    I'm probably the guy you are referring to. I didn't say that the Uptime setting wasn't accurate in ICS, but that it had been not fully accurate in prior Android OS, and that I long since had stopped using it as a reference, after I found the free Reboot Logger app, which provides a listing of time stamped references of actual boot times, and can discriminate between reboots and system shutdowns.

I personally find that approach much easier than digging out the uptime reading in Settings, and calculating approximately when that reboot occurred.

I'm sorry if I didn't make myself as clear as I could have. I was trying to suggest a useful alternative method, not generate any controversy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Just let me know where do i find it and its yours in a few minutes!
    Rooted US Transformer with ICS :)

Download the update but do not reboot the tablet.
    Install this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

And then open it and type the following command:
    Code:
    cp /cache/dlpkgfile.zip /sdcard/
    followed by enter. If the app can't find the file, write /cache/dlpk followed by the "TAB" button and the terminal should find it for you.

Then delete it (else when you reboot the tablet, the update will be installed):
    Code:
    rm /cache/dlpg*

Then just upload the file you copied to /sdcard/, which is the internal memory of your device.