[FINISHED] Camera LED Flash w/incoming call/sms

Search This thread

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Re: [APP REQUEST] Camera LED Flash w/incoming call/sms

Gah, I can get this to work with Droid and 2.2 Nexus One but no luck activating the LED on the EVO. joey3002, have you had any luck with it?

hannsz

Aug 9, 2009
Are the led notifications on the front facing camera not bright enough for you or something?

A big issue with these are that they never flash when the phone is charging (~60% of my usage). I never know when I get a text unless I can hear it, which is doubtful with my bad hearing and outside distractions.

I'd love to be able to leave the phone on it's face and have the camera light get my interest over on the side...

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
Have you guys checked out the market apps called "LED Light" and "LED Desire Light"? Both of those apps get the camera flash to activate as a sort of flashlight. Maybe check out their method of doing it

Yeah, I actually have LED Desire Light and have been trying to figure out how it works. I haven't found any way of decompiling it into readable code though and adb logcat isn't showing anything. I found a function earlier this morning though called setDualLedFlash or something like that. Unfortunately there's no documentation for it so it'll take some experimenting with.

EDIT: Found a way to turn it on! Now just have to figure out how to turn it off ;-)

EDIT 2: And got it to turn off! Well, got to go donate some blood now but if I'm still coherent later this evening I'll be able to put this together.

Last edited:

apristel

Feb 25, 2009
Green Bay
www.arizzle.com
Yeah, I actually have LED Desire Light and have been trying to figure out how it works. I haven't found any way of decompiling it into readable code though and adb logcat isn't showing anything. I found a function earlier this morning though called setDualLedFlash or something like that. Unfortunately there's no documentation for it so it'll take some experimenting with.

EDIT: Found a way to turn it on! Now just have to figure out how to turn it off ;-)

EDIT 2: And got it to turn off! Well, got to go donate some blood now but if I'm still coherent later this evening I'll be able to put this together.

Thanks! Keep up the good work. I'm transferring cash to my paypal right now!

norkoastal

Dec 7, 2007
Bay Area
Sounds like progresss.. To spice up the bounty a bit I have $5 ready to send if the following is implemented in the final product.

Options for:
- What flashes (calls, sms, email, optional tweet)
- How long those flashes are for (1 hr for calls, sms, 5 seconds for email)
- Flash types.. example: alternating flashes for call, dual flash for SMS, fast
single flash for tweet.

Thanks for helping make this program come to life.. Great idea!

apristel

Feb 25, 2009
Green Bay
www.arizzle.com
The way I had it / kinda want it... is for the camera LED to flash only on incoming calls and/or texts...whatever... but not to continue to flash as a reminder...maybe that could be an option.

I'm open to anything obviously since its a step in the right direction.

I am super excited. I really appreciate your effort in creating this.

Last edited:

rdude

Oct 24, 2006
Seattle
twitter.com
UPDATED VERSION NOW AVAILABLE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14961111

Alright, here we go. This app will flash your LED when you receive a phone call or when you get a new text message. Unfortunately it can't do it when you get new emails since there is no standard system notification for email among the many email apps (Email, Gmail, K9, etc.).

Here's a screenshot of the app, Flashlight Alerts:

9Cj9J.png

The APK is attached and it is also available in the Market for $2.99 if you'd like to donate:

img.php

It was actually a real pain to put together since there is no standard flashlight API prior to Froyo, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Let me know if you run into any issues!

PS: I would appreciate it if somebody could check if this thing is actually in the Market on their EVO. It's showing up there on my Nexus One but not on my EVO. Hmm... Fixed this. Stupid bug in the Market makes it so that if you mark your app as requiring a camera with flash, it doesn't show up for EVO.

Compatability Notes: This version will work with the EVO, Desire, and Droid. If you have a Froyo phone (Nexus One) you should be able to use the Froyo version (in the Market or later in this thread, post #65).

Attachments

• FlashlightAlerts.apk
    20.8 KB · Views: 7,003
Last edited:

jabbawalkee

Dec 22, 2008
Chevy Chase, MD
twitter.com
Alright, here we go. This app will flash your LED when you receive a phone call or when you get a new text message. Unfortunately it can't do it when you get new emails since there is no standard system notification for email among the many email apps (Email, Gmail, K9, etc.).

9Cj9J.png

The APK is attached and it is also available in the Market for $2.99 if you'd like to donate:

img.php

It was actually a real pain to put together since there is no standard flashlight API prior to Froyo, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Let me know if you run into any issues!

PS: I would appreciate it if somebody could check if this thing is actually in the Market on their EVO. It's showing up there on my Nexus One but not on my EVO. Hmm... Fixed this. Stupid bug in the Market makes it so that if you mark your app as requiring a camera with flash, it doesn't show up for EVO.

Good work man!!! Just purchased it to support your work and helping out. Much appreciated. Going to try it now and let everyone know what I think :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED VERSION NOW AVAILABLE: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=14961111

9Cj9J.png

img.php

Compatability Notes: This version will work with the EVO, Desire, and Droid. If you have a Froyo phone (Nexus One) you should be able to use the Froyo version (in the Market or later in this thread, post #65).
    I would think this would be a bad idea for the same reason all those *led* flash light apps warn you not to over use for fear of burning out...If you get a much of notifications that would mean constant use.

typical life span of a led is 25,000 hours, and that just means it loses about 50% of its lumens output.

i highly doubt they'll burn out.

thats 2.85 years of being on.
    Are the led notifications on the front facing camera not bright enough for you or something?
    Just installed the froyo version in post 65 and it works perfectly on my evo with virus rom gingersense. Apristel thanks for requesting and rdude for developing!