Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

ssserpentine

Mar 1, 2011
Venice, Ca
Spacemoose1 has a special request:

ssserpentine presents......
Android 3.x Honeycomb for the Samsung Galaxy Tab (GSM)
Download Rom: GSM | Source Repository | Development Log | Donate

A Spacemoose1 production

Firstly, if you cannot commit to reading 3 posts completely, and carefully, please go here. for a quick look into your future.
Or go here for a look into your tabs future.

1) Yes, you MUST start off in FROYO, no exceptions! your reported bugs will be useless and of no help to me or anyone else. & as everyone should be following the guide, & coming from FROYO, don't expect to not get yelled at!
2) Everyone follow the installation guides in post # 2 step by step exactly!
3) This is presented in unfinished Alpha mode, for you to see what is to come and help bug test. EVERYONE needs to install exactly the same way so that they may report actual bugs, and not ones because you didn't listen.
4) Please, everyone, start off EVERY reply with your carrier (T-Mobile, Unbranded, AT&T, ect..) & country of origin of the Tab, so that it may be decided if any bugs are specific to any of these conditions.

This is an ALPHA version.
There is no 3g nor phone, among many other things (like BT, gyro, hardware accel.)
Using an alpha rom can be very dangerous. Don't just flash, because you see its HONEYCOMB, read everything very carefully first!

Wackymixing has created an excellent video of this HONEYCOMB alphaV2.5 running on GSM device.

(6/14/11)
After being up way too many hours in a row, and trying to do too many things at once, work on a new kernel has officially begun!
*what's in the oven. .
»new cwr with internal external support.
»1.2ghz
»uc ability
»reliable charging while power is off.
«doubtful, but cross your fingers for lagfix?

(6/13/11)
GSM owners. Alpha 2.5 has arrived!! (No 3g nor phone, ect.)
I highly recommend you start off in FROYO, as coming from GINGERBREAD causes crashes, and will make your bug tests not needed by me.
But, beware, changing your bootloaders is very dangerous![/COLOR]
*modded build.prop to identify itself as a Samsung Galaxy Tab as GT-P1000. - test runs, not included in cdma release
*modded audioflinger to accept dsp manager setting. (more equalizers coming soon) - test runs, not included in cdma release

*what I have planned, and currently in the works.*​
* New kernel with 1.2, 1.4 oc
* Flexible scaling
* Attempted lagfix
* New CRW version with internal and external sd support
* SD cart mount upon boot

Until SD card load upon boot happens,
Instal Terminal Emulator from the market, and try these commands:
su
mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/

Now your SD cards should be mounted!

(6/11/11)
GSM owners, I'm sorry to say that I have to put you off once again. The new kernel works and the crash issues have been resolved but I can't get vold to behave and the sd card simply refuses to mount at boot. The files in the repository are current though, so feel free to download and install them that way if you would like to test. You can mount the SD from a command line (adb shell) and activate UMS after boot using the following commands:

echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun1/file

-or-
download Android Terminal from the Android Market, and try these lines:

su

Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Edit:
Also had a tester report the return of the screen sleep-state crash (power button), but the issue was resolved by flashing froyo, and then installing HC. He used the overcome 1.6 instructions. It ended his crash issues and returned his lock-screen. Just FYI.

Alpha GSM v2.5 has the following!
*A fully working tablet marketplace.
*Maps, places and streetview.
*Working audio (it needs work, but it's there.)
*The lastest version of voodoo sound integrated into the kernel.
*The voodoo sound control app.
*A couple of widgets from the Asus Transformer.
*A setup wizard that allows you to select your language at startup.
*A tablet keyboard apk that makes text entry easier.
*Multitouch.
*And a handful of stability and speed fixes.

What it doesn't have...yet

*Gyro (no rotation, there is an app installed but rotates wrong way)
*Settings window not appearing when expanding from the Notifications menu
*3g data nor phone abilities
*BT,
*gyro,
*hardware acceleration
*SD card on boot
*headphone audio
*mic
*GPS

Last edited:

ssserpentine

Mar 1, 2011
Venice, Ca
The Guides

A very important thread for all to read before you do anything!
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1047500

How to go back to stock FROYO and get HONEYCOMB
Download the overcome based guide, created by thepittbull
and modded with help and permission by Sҡȳᴪʌɩҡͼṟ
Be sure to thank both, as this is an great guide.

(You will know it is going well if it goes from SAMSUNG splash screen, to dark, then your soft button lights will blink and then it will boot. - the time in between these things is hard to gauge)

Last edited:

ssserpentine

Mar 1, 2011
Venice, Ca
TWEAKS

Tired of that red border?
1) Open up Dev Tools
2) Go to Development Settings
3) StricktMode Visual Indicator - turn it off
4) back out of app and now open it again.
5) If this doesn't get rid of MOST of the red borders, REBOOT and open app again.

WANT STREAMING MUSIC VIDEOS?
try looking for
Qello (get tbe tablet version)
its like you tube for music videos. thanks chris 49424 in cdma thread.

WANT IMPROVED UI AND SCROLLING?
Try adw launcher. for some reason just having it instaled helps just as much as using it.

PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO WIFI?
some users have problems with routers that use high channels. try to set your channel around 7 on router.

TV SHOWS STREAM
A very few users have reported that this does work.
Does not for me, but you might wanna try. there is a free version on market, but not our market. Google or maybe appbrain.

Dropbox
Great way to transfer files on gsm hc!

Apps confirmed working on port:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1114916
thanks jjhiza!

Last edited:

razibhasan

Oct 10, 2010
Dhaka
I'm comming from cm 7 will I be able to flash this or do I need froyo?

Edit got so excited I forgot to read

I was on CM7 before trying out Alpha 2.5 (GSM). As said, I got frequent crashes and reboot problems. Just follow Overcome 1.6's guide and go back to Froyo. And then install Alpha 2.5, you will get less crashes.

GANJDROID

May 2, 2010
Norwich
Thank goodness we get our own thread! Having to check the general thread was getting tiresome reading about those lucky CDMA users ;)

Thanks for this ssserpentine! Ill be flashing as soon as I wake up :D

| Don't Revive Me Bro | Follow me on Twatter :D

keith.macdonald

Nov 15, 2009
Just out of curiosity, do we refer to the GSM version as a fork? Or does that pertain just to the kernel? I want to know how to refer to the GSM version, relative to the CDMA, in the You Tube video that I throw up. :D

EDIT: Or, is it more of a port? Burning questions, people! Gotta make sure that we get our terminology right. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Spacemoose1 has a special request:

ssserpentine presents......
    Android 3.x Honeycomb for the Samsung Galaxy Tab (GSM)
    Download Rom: GSM | Source Repository | Development Log | Donate

A Spacemoose1 production

Firstly, if you cannot commit to reading 3 posts completely, and carefully, please go here. for a quick look into your future.
    Or go here for a look into your tabs future.

1) Yes, you MUST start off in FROYO, no exceptions! your reported bugs will be useless and of no help to me or anyone else. & as everyone should be following the guide, & coming from FROYO, don't expect to not get yelled at!
    2) Everyone follow the installation guides in post # 2 step by step exactly!
    3) This is presented in unfinished Alpha mode, for you to see what is to come and help bug test. EVERYONE needs to install exactly the same way so that they may report actual bugs, and not ones because you didn't listen.
    4) Please, everyone, start off EVERY reply with your carrier (T-Mobile, Unbranded, AT&T, ect..) & country of origin of the Tab, so that it may be decided if any bugs are specific to any of these conditions.

This is an ALPHA version.
    There is no 3g nor phone, among many other things (like BT, gyro, hardware accel.)
    Using an alpha rom can be very dangerous. Don't just flash, because you see its HONEYCOMB, read everything very carefully first!

Wackymixing has created an excellent video of this HONEYCOMB alphaV2.5 running on GSM device.

(6/14/11)
    After being up way too many hours in a row, and trying to do too many things at once, work on a new kernel has officially begun!
    *what's in the oven. .
    »new cwr with internal external support.
    »1.2ghz
    »uc ability
    »reliable charging while power is off.
    «doubtful, but cross your fingers for lagfix?

(6/13/11)
    GSM owners. Alpha 2.5 has arrived!! (No 3g nor phone, ect.)
    I highly recommend you start off in FROYO, as coming from GINGERBREAD causes crashes, and will make your bug tests not needed by me.
    But, beware, changing your bootloaders is very dangerous![/COLOR]
    *modded build.prop to identify itself as a Samsung Galaxy Tab as GT-P1000. - test runs, not included in cdma release
    *modded audioflinger to accept dsp manager setting. (more equalizers coming soon) - test runs, not included in cdma release

*what I have planned, and currently in the works.*​
    * New kernel with 1.2, 1.4 oc
    * Flexible scaling
    * Attempted lagfix
    * New CRW version with internal and external sd support
    * SD cart mount upon boot

Until SD card load upon boot happens,
    Instal Terminal Emulator from the market, and try these commands:
    su

Now your SD cards should be mounted!

(6/11/11)
    GSM owners, I'm sorry to say that I have to put you off once again. The new kernel works and the crash issues have been resolved but I can't get vold to behave and the sd card simply refuses to mount at boot. The files in the repository are current though, so feel free to download and install them that way if you would like to test. You can mount the SD from a command line (adb shell) and activate UMS after boot using the following commands:

echo /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun1/file

-or-
    download Android Terminal from the Android Market, and try these lines:

su

Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

Edit:
    Also had a tester report the return of the screen sleep-state crash (power button), but the issue was resolved by flashing froyo, and then installing HC. He used the overcome 1.6 instructions. It ended his crash issues and returned his lock-screen. Just FYI.

Alpha GSM v2.5 has the following!
    *A fully working tablet marketplace.
    *Maps, places and streetview.
    *Working audio (it needs work, but it's there.)
    *The lastest version of voodoo sound integrated into the kernel.
    *The voodoo sound control app.
    *A couple of widgets from the Asus Transformer.
    *A setup wizard that allows you to select your language at startup.
    *A tablet keyboard apk that makes text entry easier.
    *Multitouch.
    *And a handful of stability and speed fixes.

What it doesn't have...yet

*Gyro (no rotation, there is an app installed but rotates wrong way)
    *Settings window not appearing when expanding from the Notifications menu
    *3g data nor phone abilities
    *BT,
    *gyro,
    *hardware acceleration
    *SD card on boot
    *headphone audio
    *mic
    *GPS
    The Guides

A very important thread for all to read before you do anything!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1047500

How to go back to stock FROYO and get HONEYCOMB
    Download the overcome based guide, created by thepittbull
    and modded with help and permission by Sҡȳᴪʌɩҡͼṟ
    Be sure to thank both, as this is an great guide.

(You will know it is going well if it goes from SAMSUNG splash screen, to dark, then your soft button lights will blink and then it will boot. - the time in between these things is hard to gauge)
    TWEAKS

Tired of that red border?
    1) Open up Dev Tools
    2) Go to Development Settings
    3) StricktMode Visual Indicator - turn it off
    4) back out of app and now open it again.
    5) If this doesn't get rid of MOST of the red borders, REBOOT and open app again.

WANT STREAMING MUSIC VIDEOS?
    try looking for
    Qello (get tbe tablet version)
    its like you tube for music videos. thanks chris 49424 in cdma thread.

WANT IMPROVED UI AND SCROLLING?
    Try adw launcher. for some reason just having it instaled helps just as much as using it.

PROBLEMS CONNECTING TO WIFI?
    some users have problems with routers that use high channels. try to set your channel around 7 on router.

TV SHOWS STREAM
    A very few users have reported that this does work.
    Does not for me, but you might wanna try. there is a free version on market, but not our market. Google or maybe appbrain.

Dropbox
    Great way to transfer files on gsm hc!

Apps confirmed working on port:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1114916
    thanks jjhiza!
    ETA ON DOWNLOADABLE ROM:
    SOON! sorry no exact time, i need to make sure everything is perfect!
    I have been running Alpha 2.5 for about 24 hours and this is what I've found so far.

GT-P100M Bell model with a Telus SIM

I followed the back to froyo instructions as well as the alpha 2.5 install instructions exactly.

First boot took about 3 minutes. Lots of FCs at first. Basically skipped the setup wizard. I got lots of keyboard FCs and I still get random gallery FCs even without opening gallery.

Keyboard did not show up at all at first and I did not get the little keyboard icon so I went to settings, Language & Input, Current input method. I think picked the tablet keyboard free and the keyboard popped up. It still wouldn't work in apps but I did now get the little keyboard icon by the clock which I clicked and turned physical keyboard off. Keyboard now works perfectly and no keyboard FCs. I do have to turn physical keyboard off again after every reboot.

Wifi - I first tried to connect to my open network and the tab would not connect. I tried my secured network and it connected no problem. However I was able to connect to a different open network today without problem so that issue seems to be related to my router.

The honeycomb lock screen worked on its own after first reboot.

I was able to mount my ext & int sdcard using android terminal emulator and the commands in the op. Apps like browser do not recognize the storage though.

I installed ADW launcher(free) from the market and it did seem to make things a bit smoother and a lot less red border. I use the stock launcher as default and it works ok but if I hit the home button it usually locks up home and I have to switch to another app(from multi-task menu) and the hit back to get the home to load.

Battery - The battery charges for sure when plugged in to the wall charger and powered on. I have not tried powered off or pc charging yet. The battery dropped from 100% to 67% over the passed 8 hours of stand by/light usage. Also not I have the setcpu governor set to performance.

Youtube - youtube app will not load unless selected from the widget. Once loaded it does not play.

Flash - although flash shows as being installed it does not appear to work.

Usb auto mount - no usb mounting works.

Audio appears to work but I don't have much audio to test with.

Market - works perfectly as far as I can tell.

Obvious - As already stated in this thread:3g, phone, gps, gyro, bluetooth, mic do not work.

Also not sure if this info is important to anybody or not but I was originally on Overcome gold and tried going back to froyo by re partitioning and flashing roto-JMI in odin. I have done that to revert to stock several times but I hadn't tried it says running gingerbread. End result booted but would reboot itself every 30 seconds or so. I then redid it with the Stock-safe files and it worked.

So that's my experience. Maybe some of this info will useful to someone. Thanks so much for the great work and I can wait for whats to come.