Super Easy Root Method for Tab 10.1 (Noob Friendly Guide)

Search This thread

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.

Attachments

• Rooting-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-10.1.zip
    275.8 KB · Views: 23,165
Last edited:

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
It works 100% on the Rogers GSM 3G model, so it should work on any 3G variant. The tabs are branded as "4G" here in Canada but this method has not been tested on an actual 4G (Verizon) device, or the Wifi only model.

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D

dejanslibar

Aug 3, 2010
unroot?

Many thanks for this!!

I also don't like ODIN, not to mention that I only have Mac thus booting into Windows everytime I want to use it.

This "no wire" method really is better and way easier, do you thing unroot method can also be made that way?

Bye, Dejan.

Reactions: chadzz

Lurittelija

Oct 14, 2010
Few newbie questions regarding flashing.

If I flash this AOKP am I able to uprage it to ICS when it is released?
Or am I forced to flash back to stock rom?

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
You'll need to either revert back to stock to get the official OTA or just wait on a flashable custom version you can flash via ClockworkMod.

I'm personally just going to flash a new version of AOKP once it is updated with the camera drivers (since none of the ICS ROMS currently have working cameras). The cameras aren't something I use on my tablet so I'm currently living without them.

Reactions: BridleOnt

BS_sage

May 15, 2012
CT
sevensages.com
You'll need to either revert back to stock to get the official OTA or just wait on a flashable custom version you can flash via ClockworkMod.

I'm personally just going to flash a new version of AOKP once it is updated with the camera drivers (since none of the ICS ROMS currently have working cameras). The cameras aren't something I use on my tablet so I'm currently living without them.

I tend to use the camera, so I'm waiting for that to finally get updated. I'm hopeful it comes soon, with the alleged 'soon' release.

I did get CM9 nightly up and it looks good, but I'm going back to Honeycomb stock. (having difficulty going back, but that's for another thread)

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
The only reason I really don't like the stock ROM is the lag, not to mention they're pretty slow to update this particular device. ASUS seems to be on top of keeping their devices updated, but they don't offer any 3G/4G tablets here in Canada.

After seeing ICS reviewed on the new 10.1 tab, it's sad to still see lag on a revised version of the device. I'm not overly confident that the ICS update being pushed here in June will be much better than 3.2, for me it's going to provide camera drivers and that's all it will be good for.

this_is_nick6

Apr 18, 2011
Halifax
OnePlus 8
As of right now you will need to use ODIN to unroot and revert to stock unless someone finds a flashable .zip method or something (which will only unroot, won't restore stock recovery). I've been busy lately so I haven't really looked into any unroot methods yet. As far as I know there is this method for restoring a WiFi only Tab to stock, which does wipe your device keep in mind:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1474971

The only reason you'd really need to unroot would be for warranty reasons I suppose, but it would be nice to have a quick and easy method.

Last edited:

ironmansp

Jan 13, 2008
galaxy 10.1 tab model gt-p7500 how to root? root.zip does not work

Hi :

I have a galaxy tab 10.1 GT-P7500 model and trying to root it.
tested root.zip and does not work
any other alternative method?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this is some sort of duplicate post, please delete it, but I could not find something like this anywhere. I want to share my method for gaining root access + installing CWM recovery on the Rogers Galaxy Tab 10.1. This should work on other variants, those who can confirm please comment and I'll update the post.

Update:
    Now confirmed on WiFi model AND Verizon Model (thanks Rockaholic94 and badogg for testing).

Rooting:

1. Download this file and rename it as "update.zip"
    2. Put the update.zip file on the root of your tab's SD card
    3. While your tab is powered on or off (doesn't matter), hold the volume down (volume up on VZW Model) + power key to bring up the option to select recovery mode or download mode.
    4. Choose the recovery mode option (box picture) by hitting the volume down key then selecting with the volume up key.
    5. Now that you're in the factory android recovery menu, choose "Install update from SD card".
    6. Highlight the update.zip file using the volume buttons and the power button to select.
    7. Confirm Superuser is in your list of apps :D

Let it do its thing and it is now rooted.

Installing Clockworkmod:

1. After confirming the Superuser app is installed and you in fact have root access, download ROM Manager from the Play Store.
    2. Open ROM Manager and choose "Install Clockworkmod Recovery"
    3. Select "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" to make sure the right recovery is installed, and wait a minute or so as it installs.
    4. Towards the end, ROM Manager will prompt you for root access to complete the install.

Congrats, you now have root access and CWM Recovery.

This was tested on my 3G device running 3.2 for the record, but it should work on 3.1 also. Please let me know what devices you've been successful using this method for, and remember the "thanks" button too ;).

Guide was written by myself, but I grabbed the root file from this post on Android Authority. Props to whoever the original owner of that file is... :D Also, not responsible for bricking devices etc etc etc.
    I did it on my Wifi only 10.1 tab and it worked perfectly.
    I'm not a huge ODIN fan myself. I only have experience with ODIN from my 7" Galaxy Tab but I like simple methods that don't require a computer. I completed this method by simply using Dropbox to transfer the root file to my device, the built-in file manager to rename the file, stock recovery to flash it, then CWM via ROM Manager from the Play Store......... NO WIRES :D :D
    Just to be clear, this method works fine on the Wifi P7510 gtab 10.1 (US) with ICS right?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III

Actually this does not work with ICS but there are other threads that have root methods for ICS. Also a few YouTube vids on rooting GTab with ICS.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using XDA Premium HD app
    Method no longer works in Stock ICS

Stock ICS no longer allows update.zip (default /mnt/sdcard [=/sdcard] location) to be loaded via Stock Recovery main menu update from external (SD card).

External storage is defaulted to "/sdcard", which is not the external USB Host drive (standard recovery mode, that is), neither does it seem to be the highest non-root accessible location. I will probably go the ODIN/CWM route now, as this super easy method now seems to be locked out by Samsung's finest.

EDIT:
    ODIN/CWM did not work out, as first a scrolling CWM menu, and then, after pershoots bootloader installation a scrolling wakeup screen.

/sdcard is present, (soft)link to /mnt/sdcard (or vice versa, still have to look) when ICS is running, but it looks like it is only a temporary link, created during boot-up. Standard recovery of ICS does not see /sdcard, or maybe looks for another filename (i.e. not "update.zip") to load. I am not sure, but the end-result is that standard recovery in ICS does not allow for this method to work as described.