Fixing NT stuck with CWM, restore / update won't work

Search This thread

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
Many people are getting what they are calling a bricked Nook tablet that won't boot or restore an OS. Often when they boot into CWM (from internal or SD) they get errors on screen, or possibly after an attempted install they show in the advanced / log

E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/command/
E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/log/
E:Can't open / cache/recovery/log/
E:Can't mount / cache/recovery/last_log/
E:Can't open / cache/recovery/last_log/
failed to open/sys/class/android_usb/state: No such file or directory

This is actually an extremely common issue it seems. Basically its' quite likely you're partition map has some how been damaged.

Firstly just make sure you can't install an update or restore an old backup from SD, if that still fails and you end up straight back in CWM

All you need to do is download the parted binary HERE extract it from the archive and push it to your device or even just put it on an SD

ADB into your device and run the binary with the following command (you'll need it to be the accesible path or you can just be in the directory where it is)

parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print

It will most likely show up with an error and ask if you want to fix it. Just say yes and let it do its' thing.

After it completes, reboot your device and see if you still get the same errors, Attempt to install CM7 once more.

If it still doesn't work, run the parted command again then download Adams total wipe and run that. It'll reset your device back to total stock. The parted command will repair the partition table and adamoutlers software will upload all the required software to the correct places for it all to work

Hope that helps!

If you get stuck feel free to give me a shout

Last edited:

kahboom

Dec 26, 2011
This is actually an extremely common issue it seems. Basically its' quite likely you're partition map has some how been damaged.

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
NT full brick...unable to recover.

My NT is suffering from the CM7-SD format brick problem.

I have hunted high and low for instructions on how to get ADB to work on a bricked NT. My NT is in a state where the only thing that boots on it is an SD-based CWM, but when I plug the NT into a PC, no matter what I do, CWM recovery starts up and the PC detects the unit as disk drives. ADB will NOT find the unit. I have tried on two separate Win7 machines...same problem on both.

I have also tried using Adam's total wipe fix, and while linux boot, the full wipe just hangs forever on the first step (zeroing MLO).

I am not sure I have the right USB drivers...basically, I'm using the ones I had for my long-gone Nook Color.

Can anyone offer me some help?

Thanks.

Reactions: jurcacristian

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011

I have hunted high and low for instructions on how to get ADB to work on a bricked NT. My NT is in a state where the only thing that boots on it is an SD-based CWM, but when I plug the NT into a PC, no matter what I do, CWM recovery starts up and the PC detects the unit as disk drives. ADB will NOT find the unit. I have tried on two separate Win7 machines...same problem on both.

I have also tried using Adam's total wipe fix, and while linux boot, the full wipe just hangs forever on the first step (zeroing MLO).

I am not sure I have the right USB drivers...basically, I'm using the ones I had for my long-gone Nook Color.

Thanks.

It's not actually caused by formatting SD on CM7 any more. you could happily format your SD all day, although we still recommend not formatting anything at all via the NT.

If you have CWM you should have access to ADB, the probably reason it doesn't work for you is that you need to tell your computer what the id is on the device so that it can recognise it. What operating system are you using?

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
It's not actually caused by formatting SD on CM7 any more. you could happily format your SD all day, although we still recommend not formatting anything at all via the NT.

If you have CWM you should have access to ADB, the probably reason it doesn't work for you is that you need to tell your computer what the id is on the device so that it can recognise it. What operating system are you using?

Thanks, Celtic.

I'm on Win7. I have 'adb_usb.ini' in folder:

C:\Users\<myname>\.android

And the 'ini' contains 0x2080.

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
More details...

Here's a brief history, as best I can recall, of how I got where I am with my NT.

1. Installed NT CM7 about a week ago. All worked well until I noticed Kindle app misbehaving by not flipping pages on a book. I tried same book on two other android devices, and both worked fine. So...

2. In a complete act of stupidity, I went into 'Storage' on the NT, and noticing that there were 3 sections listed there (whose names escape me, but something like 'Internal SD', 'SD' and 'External SD'), I formatted all 3 (yup, dumb).

3. I shut down the NT (10 second press of power), and from there on in, tablet hung at 'N' screen. I manages to get CWM to start, using a combination of buttons I now don't recall (Power and Volume Up, perhaps?).

4. For reasons I can only describe as lunacy, I used Recovery to format everything it listed as format-able (under Mounts/Storage). From this point on, the tablet would not boot at all, not even back into CWM Recovery.

5. Thru online searching, I found an image for making a bootable CWM Recovery, which I created and used successfully to boot into recovery. I used it unsuccessfully to try to re-install CM7.

6. I then tried getting an ADB connection so I could try the various other fixes offered online, but have been completely unable to get a connection. I followed the instructions found in XDA thread ID 1424563 (sorry, I'm too junior to have link-posting permissions), but the thread assumes I can get to the NT's settings to turn on debug mode, which I can't.

7. As mentioned, I also tried Adam's full wipe/restore, but it hangs on phase one (zeroing MLO).

That's the crux of it, for what it's worth. I think my big issue right now is not being able to get ADB to work with it. If I could, I could try the partition command you gave in the OP.

Thanks for any help or ideas...

Reactions: Enderone

ms2003

Jan 22, 2010
ShangHai
Here's a brief history, as best I can recall, of how I got where I am with my NT.

1. Installed NT CM7 about a week ago. All worked well until I noticed Kindle app misbehaving by not flipping pages on a book. I tried same book on two other android devices, and both worked fine. So...

2. In a complete act of stupidity, I went into 'Storage' on the NT, and noticing that there were 3 sections listed there (whose names escape me, but something like 'Internal SD', 'SD' and 'External SD'), I formatted all 3 (yup, dumb).

3. I shut down the NT (10 second press of power), and from there on in, tablet hung at 'N' screen. I manages to get CWM to start, using a combination of buttons I now don't recall (Power and Volume Up, perhaps?).

4. For reasons I can only describe as lunacy, I used Recovery to format everything it listed as format-able (under Mounts/Storage). From this point on, the tablet would not boot at all, not even back into CWM Recovery.

5. Thru online searching, I found an image for making a bootable CWM Recovery, which I created and used successfully to boot into recovery. I used it unsuccessfully to try to re-install CM7.

6. I then tried getting an ADB connection so I could try the various other fixes offered online, but have been completely unable to get a connection. I followed the instructions found in XDA thread ID 1424563 (sorry, I'm too junior to have link-posting permissions), but the thread assumes I can get to the NT's settings to turn on debug mode, which I can't.

7. As mentioned, I also tried Adam's full wipe/restore, but it hangs on phase one (zeroing MLO).

That's the crux of it, for what it's worth. I think my big issue right now is not being able to get ADB to work with it. If I could, I could try the partition command you gave in the OP.

you should have damaged the partition tables, so please make a CMW card first, and then you can use adb shell to repair the partition table.
you can refer to this thread:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22157605&postcount=25

Know-Fear

Jan 9, 2010
If that older driver you have don't work, you can find a driver in this thread. (I don't know if they are the same as color or not TBH)

Use the USBDeview to rid yourself of anything aldroid related, anything Google related, and any mass storage devices. Restart PC, then plug your NT in. (This is how I had to do it...many times)

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
you should have damaged the partition tables, so please make a CMW card first, and then you can use adb shell to repair the partition table.
you can refer to this thread:http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22157605&postcount=25

Thanks, ms, but as I mentioned, I am completely unable to get ADB to work. It will not find the tablet. When I plug the tablet in to my Win7 box, the installed CMW card boots the tablet into recovery, and the PC detects it as disk drives (as seen in Win7's Device Mangler).

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
Quick progress update...

If that older driver you have don't work, you can find a driver in this thread. (I don't know if they are the same as color or not TBH)

Use the USBDeview to rid yourself of anything aldroid related, anything Google related, and any mass storage devices. Restart PC, then plug your NT in. (This is how I had to do it...many times)

The old drivers and instructions you linked to worked...ADB now finds my NT! :) Thanks much!

Now...

I did the 'parted' thing, and while 3 or 4 errors were reported thru the process, it stated it completed successfully. I then rebooted with my CWM Recovery SD card and attempted to re-install CM7. The installer completed quite quickly and without errors, but it did not work (as I suspected it wouldn't, given how fast it executed). I then ran 'Brick_fix.zip', and it, too, completed successfully (well, except for the ping at the end), but I was unable to install CM7. So...

I'm now on to Adam's fix (note in the OP) and I'm glad to report it's working now. It got past the first stage (zeroing MLO) and is in the middle of 'flashing factory'. Sweet!

I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with good news. Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
The old drivers and instructions you linked to worked...ADB now finds my NT! :) Thanks much!

Now...

I did the 'parted' thing, and while 3 or 4 errors were reported thru the process, it stated it completed successfully. I then rebooted with my CWM Recovery SD card and attempted to re-install CM7. The installer completed quite quickly and without errors, but it did not work (as I suspected it wouldn't, given how fast it executed). I then ran 'Brick_fix.zip', and it, too, completed successfully (well, except for the ping at the end), but I was unable to install CM7. So...

I'm now on to Adam's fix (note in the OP) and I'm glad to report it's working now. It got past the first stage (zeroing MLO) and is in the middle of 'flashing factory'. Sweet!

I'll report back in the morning, hopefully with good news. Thanks so much for the help, everyone.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I had already gone to bed, looks like you've already got the help you need though. If the wiping had started to work you'll be fine :) lesson learnt though, DO NOT FORMAT ANYTHING ON NT ;)

Let us know it's fixed (which I'm sure it will be ;) )

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
Bad news...

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I had already gone to bed, looks like you've already got the help you need though. If the wiping had started to work you'll be fine :) lesson learnt though, DO NOT FORMAT ANYTHING ON NT ;)

Well, the news is bad this morning. As someone mentioned in Adam's post, during the install, the screen went blank, so I left it for about another half an hour, then powered the device off and restarted it. All appeared OK, as the B&N firmware stated that it was clearing data, but that process froze for a long while, then a message popped up stating "Please restart your device and try again. If you encounter the same issue, contact technical support at blah, blah, blah." I restarted...same message. Over and over.

I tried the full wipe no less than 4 more times, preceding each attempt with a 'part' command, but the full wipe, for some unknown reason, stops about 60 seconds in, and pops up what appears to be a windowed 'ls -al'. I tried two different class 4 SDs in the 4 attempts...same for each.

Not feeling hopeful at this point.

---------- Post added at 04:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Here's the results from my 'part' command:

Code:
~ # parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print
Model: MMC SEM16G (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 15.9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      131kB   262kB   131kB                xloader
 2      262kB   524kB   262kB                bootloader
 3      524kB   16.3MB  15.7MB               recovery
 4      16.8MB  33.6MB  16.8MB               boot
 5      33.6MB  83.9MB  50.3MB               rom
 6      83.9MB  134MB   50.3MB  fat32        bootdata
 7      134MB   522MB   388MB                factory
 8      522MB   1164MB  642MB   ext4         system
 9      1164MB  1611MB  447MB   ext4         cache
10      1611MB  2684MB  1074MB  fat32        media
11      2684MB  15.6GB  12.9GB  ext4         userdata

Note the fat32 and ext4 file system designations for various directories (is directories the correct word?). On page 6 of Adam's full wipe thread, user 'howcansheslap' shows the output of his/her 'part' command, and the file system in his/her output is all blank. Perhaps not coincidentally, my full wipe process stops on processing 'bootdata', the first item listed as fat32 above, and displays the windowed 'ls' of folder 'bootdata'.

Any thoughts on the relevance of this info?

Thanks all.

---------- Post added at 05:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Turns out the full wipe *was* working. The trouble is, my impatience got the better of me. Adam's wipe process does not provide a whole lot in the way of progress feedback, and in fact, it can be 5 minutes or so before you see anything meaningful on screen. Best advice: give the process a full half hour to complete and don't assume that it's hung/stopped working just because you see virtually no progress reports. Note also that if you touch the screen anywhere during the wipe, any progress bar that may or may not have been present will probably disappear, and you won't see another one displayed for possibly several minutes.

My apologies to all for subjecting you to my own impatience, and a big thank-you for all the help.

imacmill

Feb 7, 2011
I spoke too soon...again.

The full wipe/restore completed successfully, but now when I start the tablet, I get taken thru the B&N setup process and at the stage where it asks me to login to my B&N account, I get:

Error
Sorry we're having trouble setting up your NOOK. Please shutdown the device and try again. If the problem persist, contact Customer Support at...

Well, the problem has persisted all day. I have even done the full restore a couple of extra times. And the tech support line just keeps telling me they're unable to process my call at this time.

I am definitely able to login to my B&N account thru my PC, so I've got the credentials right.

Has anyone encountered this before?

UPDATE: I followed the instructions for bypassing registration, found here:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Factory_Mode/Skip_Oobe

This allowed me to get into settings and 'erase/unregister' the device, but alas, still no joy after a reboot.

Last edited:

jurcacristian

Feb 29, 2012
back from brick to Nook Tablet

Hi to all, i had the same problem as imacmill onlly i've idiotly erased the "SD card" the 1 gb amount.
After restarting the NT did not boot. I've entered in CWM recovery... and had the same problem (***up my partition table)

after agonizing 3hrs we succeeded to repair my NT via parted with ADB.
I've attached the log from adb.
Code:
<6> boxer : boxer_spi_probe called , line 310
<6>boxer: spi setup returned : 0
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_probe called , line 129
<4>omap_smartreflex_disable_reset_volt: omap_sr struct for sr_core not found
<4>omap_smartreflex_enable: omap_sr struct for sr_core not found
<6>Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
<6>omap-hsuart.0: ttyO0 at MMIO 0x4806a000 (irq = 104) is a OMAP UART0
<6>console [ttyO0] enabled
<6>omap-hsuart.1: ttyO1 at MMIO 0x4806c000 (irq = 105) is a OMAP UART1
<6>omap-hsuart.2: ttyO2 at MMIO 0x48020000 (irq = 106) is a OMAP UART2
<6>omap-hsuart.3: ttyO3 at MMIO 0x4806e000 (irq = 102) is a OMAP UART3
<6>brd: module loaded
<6>loop: module loaded
<6>android init
<6>android_probe pdata: c0563eb8
<6>android_bind
<7>android_bind_config
<6>android_usb gadget: android_usb ready
<6>f_adb init
<6>android_register_function adb
<6>f_mass_storage init
<6>fsg_probe pdev: c0563c00, pdata: c0563ea8
<6>android_register_function usb_mass_storage
<6>android_usb gadget: Mass Storage Function, version: 2009/09/11
<6>android_usb gadget: Number of LUNs=2
<6> lun0: LUN: removable file: (no medium)
<6> lun1: LUN: removable file: (no medium)
<6>adb_bind_config
<6>input: gpio-keys as /devices/platform/gpio-keys/input/input0
<6>input: omap-keypad as /devices/platform/omap-keypad/input/input1
<6>ft5x06_init() - FT I2C Touchscreen Driver (Built Jan 11 2012 @ 09:02:56)
<6>ft5x06_probe() - FT5x06 found on I2C bus.
<7>ft5x06_reset_panel_via_gpio() - Toggling GPIO 39 to reset the Touch Panel...
<4>omap_smartreflex_disable_reset_volt: omap_sr struct for sr_core not found
<4>omap_smartreflex_enable: omap_sr struct for sr_core not found
<6>android_usb gadget: high speed config #1: android
<6>input: ft5x06-i2c as /devices/platform/i2c_omap.2/i2c-2/2-0038/input/input2
<6>ft5x06_initialize() - sysfs_create_group() succeeded.
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: WHO_AM_I = 0x01
<6>input: kxtf9_accel as /devices/virtual/input/input3
<6>using rtc device, twl_rtc, for alarms
<6>twl_rtc twl_rtc: rtc core: registered twl_rtc as rtc0
<6>i2c /dev entries driver
<6>Linux video capture interface: v2.00
<4>max17042: max17042_init ...
<4>max17042: max17042_probe ...
<4>max17042: next history save at 4294936947
<4>max17042: max17042_probe > IRQ is 225
<4>max17042 GPIO pin read 1
<4>max17042: max17042_device_power_on ...
<4>max17042: max17042_hw_init ...
<4>max17042:  BATTERY      Detected!
<4>config = 0x2214
<4>Valert = 0xff9b
<4>Salert = 0xff05
<4>config = 0x2214
<4>config = 0x2214
<4>shdntimer = 0x0002
<4>max17042: max17042_verify ...
<6>max17042 1-0036: Version = 0x0092
<6>max17042 1-0036: support ver. 1.0.0 enabled
<4>MAX8903: Charger registering!
<4>MAX8903: Charger Initializing...
<4>MAX8903: Request CHARGER FLT IRQ successfully!
<4>MAX8903: Charger detected at boot = 1
<4>MAX8903: USB_EVENT_VBUS: Charger=5
<6>OMAP Watchdog Timer Rev 0x00: initial timeout 60 sec
<6>cpuidle: using governor ladder
<6>cpuidle: using governor menu
<6>omap_pwm_led omap_pwm_led: OMAP PWM LED (lcd-backlight) at GP timer 11/0
<7>Registered led device: lcd-backlight
<4>[BL set power] 1
<6>logger: created 64K log 'log_main'
<6>logger: created 256K log 'log_events'
<6>logger: created 64K log 'log_radio'
<6>logger: created 64K log 'log_system'
<6>proc4430_drv_initializeModule
<6>omap-devicehandler omap-devicehandler.0: omap_devh_probe: adding devh Tesla
<6>omap-devh initialized Tesla, major: 241, base-minor: 0
<6>omap-devicehandler omap-devicehandler.1: omap_devh_probe: adding devh SysM3
<6>omap-devh initialized SysM3, major: 241, base-minor: 1
<6>omap-devicehandler omap-devicehandler.2: omap_devh_probe: adding devh AppM3
<6>omap-devh initialized AppM3, major: 241, base-minor: 2
<6>omap3epd-sound: Audio SoC init
<6>Found Board EVT 2.1-ABE support Enabled
<6>asoc: null-codec-dai <-> MultiMedia1 LP mapping ok
<6>asoc: null-codec-dai <-> MultiMedia2 mapping ok
<3>tlv320aic3100_init: Unable get gpio for CODEC POWER 101
<6>mmc0: new high speed DDR MMC card at address 0001
<6>mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM16G 14.8 GiB
<6> mmcblk0: p1
<4>mmc1: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
<6>mmc1: new high speed SDHC card at address b368
<6>mmcblk1: mmc1:b368 SD04G 3.66 GiB
<6> mmcblk1: p1
<1>##-tlv320aic3100_init
<6>Created the sysfs Files for Audio Driver
<4>Page 4 has 41 Coefficient Values
<4>Page 8 has 61 Coefficient Values
<4>Updated Page 8 DAC Coefficient Control Reg for Adaptive Mode
<6>asoc: tlv320aic3100-dai <-> omap-mcbsp-dai.1 mapping ok
<6>input: OMAP4_ACCLAIM_ABE Headset Jack as /devices/platform/soc-audio/sound/ca
rd0/input4
<6>ALSA device list:
<6>  #0: OMAP4 Acclaim AIC3100 ABE
<6>Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
<6>nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (14615 buckets, 58460 max)
<4>CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
<4>nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel parameter, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
<4>sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.
<6>ctnetlink v0.93: registering with nfnetlink.
<6>xt_time: kernel timezone is -0000
<6>ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
<6>arp_tables: (C) 2002 David S. Miller
<6>TCP cubic registered
<6>Initializing XFRM netlink socket
<6>NET: Registered protocol family 10
<6>lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
<6>Mobile IPv6
<6>IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
<6>sit0: Disabled Privacy Extensions
<6>ip6tnl0: Disabled Privacy Extensions
<6>NET: Registered protocol family 17
<6>NET: Registered protocol family 15
<6>ThumbEE CPU extension supported.
<4>omap_hwmod: Initialize debugfs support
<3>Power Management for TI OMAP4.
<6>prcm_clear_statdep_regs: Clearing static depndencies
<3>CPUidle for CPU0 registered
<3>CPUidle for CPU1 registered
<4>sr_init: No PMIC hook to init smartreflex
<6>smartreflex smartreflex.0: omap_smartreflex_probe: SmartReflex driver initial
ized
<6>smartreflex smartreflex.1: omap_smartreflex_probe: SmartReflex driver initial
ized
<6>smartreflex smartreflex.2: omap_smartreflex_probe: SmartReflex driver initial
ized
<7>Disabling unused clock "auxclk4_src_ck"
<7>Disabling unused clock "hdq1w_fck"
<7>Disabling unused clock "gpmc_ick"
<7>Disabling unused clock "gpio4_dbclk"
<7>Disabling unused clock "efuse_ctrl_cust_fck"
<6>VFP support v0.3: implementor 41 architecture 3 part 30 variant 9 rev 4
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_enable called , line 233
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_start called , line 150
<6>regulator_init_complete: disabling VANA
<6>twl_rtc twl_rtc: setting system clock to 2012-03-02 10:59:45 UTC (1330685985)

<6>omap_vout omap_vout: : registered and initialized video device 0
<6>omap_vout omap_vout: : registered and initialized video device 1
<6>omap_vout omap_vout: : registered and initialized video device 2
<6>omap_wb: registered and initialized wb device 4 [v4l2]
<6>Freeing init memory: 212K
<3>init: cannot open '/initlogo.rle'
<3>init: Unable to open persistent property directory /data/property errno: 2
<6>enabling adb
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_suspend called , line 245
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_stop called , line 215
<3><dss_mgr_disable> disabling 2lcd
<6>adb_open
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_resume called , line 255
<6> boxer : boxer_panel_start called , line 150
<6> boxer : spi_send called , line 84
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TILT [1]
<4>MAX8903: Charging is now enabled!
<4>MAX8903: USB Charging at 500 mA
<6>adb_release
<6>adb_open
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP1 [1]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP1 [2]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP2 [2]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP1 [20]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TILT [10]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP1 [2]
<6>adb_release
<6>adb_open
<6>adb_release
<6>adb_open
<4>
<4> usb unplugged!
<6>adb_release
<4>MAX8903: USB_EVENT_NONE
<6>adb_open
<4>MAX8903: Charging is now disabled!
<4>MAX8903: Charger Unplugged!
<6>PC detected
<4>MAX8903: USB_EVENT_VBUS: Charger=3
<4>
<4> usb unplugged!
<6>adb_release
<6>adb_open
<4>MAX8903: USB_EVENT_NONE
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP1 [10]
<4>MAX8903: Charging is now disabled!
<4>MAX8903: Charger Unplugged!
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TILT [8]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TILT [8]
<6>kxtf9 1-000f: IRQ TAP2 [1]
<6>PC detected
<4>MAX8903: USB_EVENT_VBUS: Charger=3
/sdcard # mount
mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on /sdcard type vfat (rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=000
0,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed
,errors=remount-ro)
/sdcard # parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print
Warning: /dev/block/mmcblk0 contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a
GPT table.  However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it
should.  Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't
understand GPT partition tables.  Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are
now using an msdos partition table.  Is this a GPT partition table?
Yes/No? Yes
Yes
Yes
Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? Yes
Yes
Yes
parted: invalid token: Yes
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? Fix
Fix
Fix
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/block/mmcblk0 appears to be
used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 569312 blocks) or
continue with the current setting?
Fix/Ignore? Fix
Fix
Fix

Model: MMC SEM16G (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 15.9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      131kB   262kB   131kB                xloader
 2      262kB   524kB   262kB                bootloader
 3      524kB   16.3MB  15.7MB               recovery
 4      16.8MB  33.6MB  16.8MB               boot
 5      33.6MB  83.9MB  50.3MB  fat32        rom
 6      83.9MB  134MB   50.3MB  fat32        bootdata
 7      134MB   522MB   388MB   ext4         factory
 8      522MB   1164MB  642MB   ext4         system
 9      1164MB  1611MB  447MB   ext4         cache
10      1611MB  2684MB  1074MB  fat32        media
11      2684MB  15.6GB  12.9GB  ext4         userdata

/sdcard #
/sdcard # reboot
reboot

Also BIG thank you for you guys, especialy to CelticWebSolutions.

Thank you guys.
Cj.

Reactions: CelticWebSolutions

DeltreeZero

Jan 12, 2012
similar problem! help!

I too formatted my 1g partition, and now my nook wont boot, goes to pic of box, hangs. i try cwm from sdcard, same box, hangs. i cant see my device when i plug it in to my win 7 pc. no adb. ive rooted 3 NT's now and i cant understand what i should do next. any help?

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
I too formatted my 1g partition, and now my nook wont boot, goes to pic of box, hangs. i try cwm from sdcard, same box, hangs. i cant see my device when i plug it in to my win 7 pc. no adb. ive rooted 3 NT's now and i cant understand what i should do next. any help?

Sounds like its not actually booting the SD card. Try powering off completely and the put SD card in. Connect power cable and see if it boots. It could also be your SD isn't written correctly. Could be worth you downloading the latest cm7 SD image from the dev thread. See if that boots.

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk

DeltreeZero

Jan 12, 2012
cwm wont run

Thanks for the reply! i have tried all combinations of power,"n", vol up, and vol down, holding not holding all combinations of buttons and also the 8 failed boot buisness, plugging in to wall outlet, plugging in to pc... no changes yet, still "n" symbol on screen, then pic of box, hang. i am downloading the latest cm7 build and downloaded the installer located

here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

per your suggestion. im now making ramen, because the download says 52 min left. I will check back soon. thanks again.

DeltreeZero

Jan 12, 2012
I have followed the instructions and still no boot to cm7. still "n", then pic of box, hang. darn. any ideas?

kodonnell204

Mar 21, 2012
Can't ADB. PLEASE HELP.

I am having trouble with my nook tablet. It will not boot an OS, and it just hangs at CWM. I am trying the original solution posted by CelticWebSolutions, but I am very new to all of this, and I can't get my computer (windows 7) to recognize the nook as an ADB device. I have no idea what USBDeview is, or where to get it. I have also managed to kill my 2 best micro SD cards. They were 32 gb cards, and when I tried to install CM7. If possible, I would like to just get back to a factory Nook Tablet. If anyone can help me reach a solution, I would be happy to donate.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I am having trouble with my nook tablet. It will not boot an OS, and it just hangs at CWM. I am trying the original solution posted by CelticWebSolutions, but I am very new to all of this, and I can't get my computer (windows 7) to recognize the nook as an ADB device. I have no idea what USBDeview is, or where to get it. I have also managed to kill my 2 best micro SD cards. They were 32 gb cards, and when I tried to install CM7. If possible, I would like to just get back to a factory Nook Tablet. If anyone can help me reach a solution, I would be happy to donate.

Can you get into CWM?, Have you tried Adam's total wipe method?, what OS did you have when you bricked your device? What exactly have you done to it? We need more details in order to help you.

~ Veronica

Sent from XDA premium using my Nook Tablet :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many people are getting what they are calling a bricked Nook tablet that won't boot or restore an OS. Often when they boot into CWM (from internal or SD) they get errors on screen, or possibly after an attempted install they show in the advanced / log

failed to open/sys/class/android_usb/state: No such file or directory

Firstly just make sure you can't install an update or restore an old backup from SD, if that still fails and you end up straight back in CWM

All you need to do is download the parted binary HERE extract it from the archive and push it to your device or even just put it on an SD

ADB into your device and run the binary with the following command (you'll need it to be the accesible path or you can just be in the directory where it is)

It will most likely show up with an error and ask if you want to fix it. Just say yes and let it do its' thing.

After it completes, reboot your device and see if you still get the same errors, Attempt to install CM7 once more.

If it still doesn't work, run the parted command again then download Adams total wipe and run that. It'll reset your device back to total stock. The parted command will repair the partition table and adamoutlers software will upload all the required software to the correct places for it all to work

Hope that helps!

If you get stuck feel free to give me a shout
    NT full brick...unable to recover.

Thanks.
    More details...

Now...