Search This thread

heihei_ivan

May 19, 2011
Hong Kong

KingWickedd

Sep 19, 2011
Hyderabad

You got that right :)
I got this idea from HTC HD2.The phone can boot two different operating systems,one at a time.And when I say different operating systems,it means os other than android.You can boot windows and android on the same phone.It stores the rom in SD card but I don't know if that's possible with Xperia arc.
Talking about the damage of SD card, I don't think it will cause any damage to SD cards.

aimcr7

Jun 14, 2010
Yogyakarta
I got this idea from HTC HD2.The phone can boot two different operating systems,one at a time.And when I say different operating systems,it means os other than android.You can boot windows and android on the same phone.It stores the rom in SD card but I don't know if that's possible with Xperia arc.
Talking about the damage of SD card, I don't think it will cause any damage to SD cards.

It's possible on X10, and possible for ARC too imho.

Sent from my MT15i using XDA

Sad-Clown

Mar 25, 2012
Khartoum

WP is close source unlike Android. We can't ported to another device.
We can boot two different Android ROMs but that is unwieldy cuz the SD card ROM will lag. Also repartition may render SD card unusable later on !

Reactions: KingWickedd

heihei_ivan

May 19, 2011
Hong Kong
We can boot two different Android ROMs but that is unwieldy cuz the SD card ROM will lag. Also repartition may render SD card unusable later on !
i think even class 10 sd card isn't fast enough for an operating system :eek:

and for damage to sd card i am afraid that running an OS from sd card would damage it. just like link2sd, the errors happen to the 2nd partition of my sd card randomly, rendering the filesystem read-only. :eek: and i have to manually check and fix it using gparted. not sure if similar things would happen if we run an OS from sd card :confused:

nickholtus

Aug 26, 2011
you are wron
class 2 is fast enough:p
Look on the play development section: you can boot roms from sd-card:D

KingWickedd

Sep 19, 2011
Hyderabad

Yes, WindowsPhone OS is not open source but the point here is to boot the Rom from sd card.As the internal memory of Xperia Arc isn't sufficient, you can use sd card and boot the Rom.
Laggy Rom or damaged sd card are the secondary things and believe me, they are not valuable in front of Sense 4.0 :)
I think we can risk our sd cards if we want sense Roms in our devices,at least I can :)

stirkac

Dec 16, 2008
the Internet
most of you would not have rom on sdcard long enough to damage it. i have 2 years old sdcard that is regularly used and ran android for about 1/2 y on HD2 and it still works in Arc ;)

and class speed does not matter to OS, but rather its random r/w speed (which is usually longer on higher class sd), take a look at sdcards that are compatible with windows phone 7 (some devices did have it)

w1000i

May 7, 2010
Jubail Ind
in Desire forum we have very big roms with small space in the memory

one solution to install some files of system into /sdext

or to repartition the 512 mb

and some guys increase the system partition from 250M to 384M or even more
so the data should be in the sd-card in the Ext partition

Last edited:

jjdoctor

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
really dont want to discourage you guys, if it happens it would be a miracle... But porting Sense UI to other phones is literally impossible.. it has been the target of samsung developers over the years and its simply not possible...

There was once a Sense 2.1 port for Nexus S and Galaxy S but that was so laggy.. not usable as daily driver and there were FCs and FCS everywhere

GS2 has the most developers support around (maybe second to HTC Sensation) ... they had tried their luck but failed...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1217752

Good luck...

maliceomalice

Apr 26, 2011
OnePlus 8T
Once in xperia x8 development, a dev named racht ported sense to the device. It runs well, kinda laggy and some if its basic function were missing, making it not suitable as an everyday phone...

Sent from my LT18i using xda premium

Galileo

Aug 13, 2010
its been ported to the x8 and works good, but anyway why would you want sense on xperia? in my opinion it sucks, ics xperia launcher is much more cool

Last edited:

stirkac

Dec 16, 2008
the Internet
i'm just getting a hang on Xperia as I switched several devices in few months, but I find this device very hard to develop on.
let me give you an explanation:
-lots of proprietary stuff around stock roms, CM has lots of bugs to be fixed too (especially ICS),
-kernel would would be based on CM, which I explained is buggy, working on half baked software is extremely hard to debug, so it would be best to start fom scratch, which is very time consuming
-baseband and camera interface is nothing like HTC at first sight..could be extremely problematic getting these working, and perhaps never in its full potential (ImageSense is out of question because it's hardware feat)
-SoC is good, same as Xperia arc (not S which is 8255T)
-every sense above version 3 is very hard to port, maybe skinned 2.1 would be better option.
-i'm not counting in any unexpected specifics which may delay development even further.

my toughts: about 10 months with skilled crew of 3 (good kernel developer, one who knows hardware& binary decompiling and one familiar with sense) working their free time and you MIGHT have something worthy to show.

now you may ask yourself if it's really worth it. you are probably better off with selling your device on ebay and buying One V on contract or without one(it's about 300euro in Slovenia off contract)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    oooh, Finally I can post here :rolleyes:

Since the HTC Primo has similar hardware I thought that is not impossible to port its ROM to our lovely SE Xperia Arc.
    So, I got the Leaked RUU (thanks for Football) and started working.

Actually, I couldn't touch the Sense but I realized that is possible.

I'm telling you what I did.

• First, The BOOT.IMG:
    I modified it to be compatible with our Arc. I had some problems with it one of them was the size, after I finished editing i found its size was only 3.7Mb and that is less than the correct size which needed by the bootloader but after adding filler file (thanks for DooMLorD) that wasn't a problem no more.
    I also added a fully working CWM Recovery ;).
    And end with 5.7Mb Boot.img.

• Second, The ROM.ZIP:
    After I replaced some files which allow the hardware and keys to work I had the same problem with the size, the system folder is about 500Mb and our device's ROM is only 350Mb !!! I believed that I can remove some files but once i got another idea i realized that wasn't the best solution so i moved the app folder from system to data folder I didn't give it a try before but i guess it will work.
    Finally I wrote updater-script and that was difficult but always there is Google.

OK, now I'm facing problems with the file-system :(.
    I've tried YAFFS2 after editing init files and finished with bootloop. :mad:
    So I think this ROM needs EXT4 /system, /data and /cache .I'm about to format them with EXT4 but I'm a little afraid :eek:

So what you think guys ...?
    sorry guys I've been busy (study reasons) and I don't have enough time to work on this

i'll try to complete this (if i can) soon as possible

THANK U :)
    i'm just getting a hang on Xperia as I switched several devices in few months, but I find this device very hard to develop on.
    let me give you an explanation:
    -lots of proprietary stuff around stock roms, CM has lots of bugs to be fixed too (especially ICS),
    -kernel would would be based on CM, which I explained is buggy, working on half baked software is extremely hard to debug, so it would be best to start fom scratch, which is very time consuming
    -baseband and camera interface is nothing like HTC at first sight..could be extremely problematic getting these working, and perhaps never in its full potential (ImageSense is out of question because it's hardware feat)
    -SoC is good, same as Xperia arc (not S which is 8255T)
    -every sense above version 3 is very hard to port, maybe skinned 2.1 would be better option.
    -i'm not counting in any unexpected specifics which may delay development even further.

my toughts: about 10 months with skilled crew of 3 (good kernel developer, one who knows hardware& binary decompiling and one familiar with sense) working their free time and you MIGHT have something worthy to show.

now you may ask yourself if it's really worth it. you are probably better off with selling your device on ebay and buying One V on contract or without one(it's about 300euro in Slovenia off contract)
    amazing! I wish i could help :( but instead of trying ics first i guess it is better to try older sense 2.1/3.0

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1465628 an example universal mtd/yaffs rom
    we need to modify the nand partition tables
    i'm not interested in this and it's seems impossible for me

another solution is dual-boot i don't now if someone working on this or not.

any help ...