Advice Using Old Tablet as Chromecast "Remote"

Search This thread

iamryfly

Sep 3, 2011
I have a rooted and ROM'ed original Kindle Fire that is definitely starting to show it's age but is still somewhat functional. My thought is to turn it into a "remote" for our Chromecast that is laid out to easily find / cast content. Something we can just leave on the table next to the couch. We are cordcutters so it would be especially helpful when we have family in town staying it our house as they sometimes get confused by live TV through an antenna. We already subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc and I can use a family member's cable authentication for other apps like WatchESPN, etc. Hopefully the community here can help me out with a few things:

1) Is there a replacement launcher for Android that will work well in this scenario? I suppose I could go with something like Apex Launcher and just customize it to my liking but ideally I would want something that places all the apps in a grid scenario. Bonus points for some kind of integration with Chromecast, or an app that has a widget for playback controls.

2) Any other apps that would help me accomplish this? Remotecast doesn't seem to have a lot of functionality and I can't find any similar apps when searching through the Play Store.

Thanks in advance!

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I have a rooted and ROM'ed original Kindle Fire that is definitely starting to show it's age but is still somewhat functional. My thought is to turn it into a "remote" for our Chromecast that is laid out to easily find / cast content. Something we can just leave on the table next to the couch. We are cordcutters so it would be especially helpful when we have family in town staying it our house as they sometimes get confused by live TV through an antenna. We already subscribe to Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc and I can use a family member's cable authentication for other apps like WatchESPN, etc. Hopefully the community here can help me out with a few things:

1) Is there a replacement launcher for Android that will work well in this scenario? I suppose I could go with something like Apex Launcher and just customize it to my liking but ideally I would want something that places all the apps in a grid scenario. Bonus points for some kind of integration with Chromecast, or an app that has a widget for playback controls.

2) Any other apps that would help me accomplish this? Remotecast doesn't seem to have a lot of functionality and I can't find any similar apps when searching through the Play Store.

Thanks in advance!

I personally use Dock Folders to organize my shortcuts..
But since you are only using this as a remote why not just put the shortcuts to all the apps on the home screen?
Just about any custom Launcher will allow you to resize the icons if you want...

k9cop

Dec 6, 2011
Shortcuts to YouTube app, Netflix app, Hulu+ app, etc on your desktop would take care of your issue I would think. Do you really need a custom launcher for that?