4.0.4 IMM76I OTA rolling out NOW - Fixes signal drops! (OTA link inside)

Search This thread

SKYLINESSUCK

Sep 14, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
I got the update notice, told it to go ahead, then it booted back to the red exclamation android. After it rebooted again, I would get the "Google" welcome screen with the unlocked lock, then the screen would go black. I had to pull the battery to restart it then same thing. I'm reflashing it as I type this. I'm going to try and install CWM and install the update manually here shortly. I was stock with an unlocked boot loader and rooted, but stock recovery.

SKYLINESSUCK

Sep 14, 2010
Okinawa, Japan
Well, scratch that. As soon as all my apps updated, the OTA update popped up again so I just let it do it's thing on a freshly installed factory ROM. Worked just fine. Not sure why it crapped out the first time.

bykr_dude15

Aug 1, 2010
with the 4.0.4 roms out there is there any reason to try to get this or is this just for people to like to stay completely stock? And with the custom roms with 4.0.4 do they also fix the issues that this OTA fixes?

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
with the 4.0.4 roms out there is there any reason to try to get this or is this just for people to like to stay completely stock? And with the custom roms with 4.0.4 do they also fix the issues that this OTA fixes?

If you're happy with your ROM then stay with it. ROMs will eventually incorporate whatever is in this OTA into their future builds once they're added to AOSP.

bykr_dude15

Aug 1, 2010
I haven't gotten my gnex yet its supposed to arrive tomorrow via UPS. That is why I am asking, just a noob to the gnex forum.

HinotoriBR

Apr 2, 2011
São Paulo
Anyone noticed echo in calls? Never had echo in any calls, and coincidence or not, since the update yesterday, 2 of 4 calls had severe echo... Really annoying, but since TIM is not the best operator around here, perhaps it is some temporary issue with TIM, just trying to rule out that issue occurring after update was just a concidence or not...

Hinee

Feb 3, 2012
Brisbane
Did you flash the stock IMM76D recovery? The update typically won't work with older stock recoveries.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'm super late, but if you're still reading efrant, thanks mate! Was the exact cause. I now wonder if all the hours of mucking around trying to install 4.0.4 with this exact same error could have been remedied just by this fix...

igece

Aug 5, 2010
Alcorcón (Madrid)
igecelabs.net
Just received the update but can't install it because I replaced the Gmail package in /system with the latest version from Google Play (bad idea!). Anyone can pass me a copy of the original IMM76D Gmail.apk? Just tried to extract it from factory image using unyaffs with no success :(

EDITED: Forget this! I finally solved the problem... ¡

Last edited:

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
Just received the update but can't install it because I replaced the Gmail package in /system with the latest version from Google Play (bad idea!). Anyone can pass me a copy of the original IMM76D Gmail.apk? Just tried to extract it from factory image using unyaffs with no success :(

I've already written instructions in the OTA update thread here on how to extract files from the stock images. See below:

[snip]

If you are missing stock yakju or mysid files, download the factory images from here, extract the system.img from within, convert it to an .ext4.img by using this and then (for Windows users) use this to mount the .ext4.img and extract the file. These files may work in non-yakju builds as well.

spamlucal

Apr 2, 2008
got it a while ago, build did not change (IMM76D) but I now have the new kernel version... strange. I am/was completely stock

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    According to multiple reports on this forum, the Galaxy Nexus IMM76I update is rolling out to users as of Friday 20 April, 2012.

As of the time of writing this post, there has been no official statement from Google, but unofficial reports suggest that this update fixes signal issues experienced by many GSM Galaxy Nexi after the IMM76D 4.0.4 update.

The update seems to be minor. Download the OTA update zip here:
    http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-yakju-IMM76I-from-IMM76D.46cf01d3.zip

This update zip works ONLY ON STOCK IMM76D 4.0.4 ROM WITH STOCK KERNEL. That means, ALL files in your system and boot partitions should be unmodified (file additions are okay, like with the case of root). A custom radio and/or root is fine for this update, though. Instructions on how to flash the zip, are on efrant's awesome thread here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419170

As of now, it's likely that the update is only for GSM Galaxy Nexus models running the Yakju build. Since the signal issue affected GSM models only, it's likely that the CDMA Galaxy Nexus won't get this update.

Time to start spamming the "Check Now" button even though I didn't have the issue in the first place! :)
    Or you could just do this.
    I always have to step through the procedure twice for it to work.
    But at least you don't have to hook up to a computer or anything.

ok what you need to do is
    1. go to setting / apps then hit the all button at the top
    2. scroll down to google services framework and then press it to open
    3. hit the clear data button
    4. go to settings / about phone / system updates (you will notice the date will be 1969 or 1970 this is ok )
    5. hit the check now button
    6. Nexus should show you the 4.0.4 update avaliable
    7. hit install and enjoy

According to multiple reports on this forum, the Galaxy Nexus IMM76I update is rolling out to users as of Friday 20 April, 2012.

As of the time of writing this post, there has been no official statement from Google, but unofficial reports suggest that this update fixes signal issues experienced by many GSM Galaxy Nexi after the IMM76D 4.0.4 update.

The update seems to be minor. Download the OTA update zip here:
    http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-yakju-IMM76I-from-IMM76D.46cf01d3.zip

Instructions on how to flash it, are on efrant's awesome thread here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1419170

As of now, it's likely that the update is only for GSM Galaxy Nexus models running the Yakju build. Since the signal issue affected GSM models only, it's likely that the CDMA Galaxy Nexus won't get this update.

Time to start spamming the "Check Now" button even though I didn't have the issue in the first place! :)
    [BOOT.IMG] Insecure boot.img for IMM76I (ICS 4.0.4)

Not sure if the IMM76D boot image will work with IMM76I. Try it and see. If not, see if someone posted an insecure version in the dev section. Otherwise, the source should be out by now, so you should be able to compile one yourself (assuming you know how).

okay, this is my first try in creating an insecure boot image, it works fine on my gnex and adb says it is running as root. i have not tried more until now. since i don't have enough posts i cannot create a thread in the dev section. but i wanted to share it anyway. maybe someone can post it for me? ;)
    here thats all what cwm puts out:

installing: /sdcard/cwm-IMM76-boot-zip
    Finding update package
    Opening update package
    Installing update
    E: Error in sdcard/cwm-Imm76I-boot.zip
    (status 6)
    installation aborted

thats all

Fixed. Try this one.