[GUIDE] Galaxy S3 CPU/GPU overclocking/undervolting (Updated 12/08/2012)

Search This thread

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Only for international s3 variant
Disclaimer: Im not responsible if something funny happens to your device ;) Read the guide as much as you want before proceeding with overclocking
Overclocking and undervolting is highly debatable, some say its good and some say its bad... so its upto you to proceed further
First rule of overclocking.. Your Mileage May Vary

Most of the people here in xda do know about overclocking and stuffs but still there are many who are so eager to overclock their beast . Hence this guide.

I have given some good info below about these stuffs as far as i can , you can always use google to get further details.

What is overclocking?

Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the specified clock frequency by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. One of the most important techniques is running at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second; hence the name "overclocking")
Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable.

Advantage:

You can get more performance from your chipset, though s3 is already fast you can see the visible changes in application execution time and much more like instant response time.

Disadvantage:

* Overclocking is always risky if something is configured improperly and may also result in permanent damage of your hardware. As long as it is done safely you are good to go.
* You may see some increased power consumption.
* Extreme overclocking might kill your hardware.

Undervolting :

The process where you provide less voltage to your cpu rather than the stock voltage.

Advantage:

* Reduced heat from your device.
* Good battery life.

Disadvantage:

* Extreme undervolting will make your device unstable and some times even end up with a boot loop.

Dividing the guide into 2 parts CPU and GPU

CPU

The max clock that can be used on our s3 is 1800mhz and the minimum is 100 mhz. Below given is the stock voltage for all clocks for your reference.

1800mhz : 1450mv
1700mhz : 1400mv
1600mhz : 1350mv
1500mhz : 1325mv
1400mhz : 1275mv
1300mhz : 1238mv
1200mhz : 1175mv
1100mhz : 1125mv
1000mhz : 1088mv
900mhz : 1050mv
800mhz : 1000mv
700mhz : 975mv
600mhz : 963mv
500mhz : 938mv
400mhz : 925mv
300mhz : 900mv
200mhz : 900mv
100mhz : 900mv

Requirements:

1. Kernel with overclocking support.
2. ns tools to change frequency/voltage.(you can use the app of your choice here).
3. set cpu and stability test to test the stability of CPU.
4. Some patience.

Step 1:
Set the current clock you want to test via ns tools. (Select max frequency in cpu tab).
Step 2:
Open set cpu's cpu stress test and run it for atleast 10 minutes. If you didnt get any errors on those 10 minutes and the test completed successfully then the clock is ready for daily use
Step 3:
Now for undervolting use the same ns tools and reduce the voltage by -25mv.
Repeat step 2.
you can reduce the voltage further by -25 mv after the completion of stress test until the app become unstable. (Advanced users can try reducing -50mv )
Step 4:
Repeat step 1,2 and 3 for every possible cpu clock you see in ns tools.

Note the stable cpu voltage for every clock, once you finish testing all your clock values save it as a profile in nstools and set it on boot.
Voila !!! now you have finished overclocking/ under voting your beast :) The very same guide can be used to underclock you cpu.

Notes:

1. Not all chips are capable of running at higher speeds like 1800 mhz. Those speeds are highly experimental.
2. Recomended max overclocking is 1600 mhz.
3. If your device gets hotter allow the device to cool for few minutes before starting the test.
4. Combining the overclocking and undervolting will give you the best of both the worlds :)

In case of emergency:

1. If your device becomes unstable and not responsive either press the power button until your device restarts or pull out your battery.
2. If you end up with the boot loop due to extreme undervoltage below is the cwm flashable to reset your voltage.
http://www.mediafire.com/?e7rk8cu3gw8usqj

Though quadrant is comletely outdated and is not recommended am just adding this screenshot to show the potential of overclocking :) the below screenshot is tested with 1600mhz(checkrom 3.5 +siyah)
screenshot2012071115442.png

*********************Do note me if any information is incomplete or wrong :p ill change it.*******************************

Credits :

* wikipedia
* xda and its amazing developers for their work on the kernels.
* ultimate kernel cleaning script (@buster041284 ).... have edited the cwm zip to wipe init.d

Last edited:

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
GPU OVERCLOCKING

DIsclaimer :

*** I dunno if any other kernels support the very same overclocking , if it is possible kindly inform me ill update it in the post.

*** Using custom kernel or siyah kernel is purely of your choice, im not held responsible if something goes wrong

I would say GPU is by far the weakest hardware in s3, its weak in the sense that its using the very same architecture used for galaxy s2 with some additional improvements to clock it higher. Thanks to the head room given, though the maximum clock for our GPU is 440 Mhz we can over clock it to around 700 Mhz which is roughly 70% more than the stock. Yes it is possible. Thanks to our developer "gokhanmoral" who made it possible.

Advantage:

* Games can be made to run more smoother.
* Much smoother UI.

By default stock mali 400 GPU has 4 steppings , its clock frequencies are as follows

160 Mhz - 875 mv
266 Mhz - 900 mv
350 Mhz - 950 mv
440 Mhz - 1025 mv

Once you install siyah you will be having an additional GPU stepping(totally 5) along with the following available frequencies to choose from.

54 Mhz
108 Mhz
160 Mhz
266 Mhz
275 Mhz
300 Mhz
333 Mhz
350 Mhz
440 Mhz
533 Mhz - 1025 mv
600 Mhz - 1050 mv
640 Mhz - 1050 mv
666 Mhz - 1075 mv
700 Mhz - 1100 mv
800 Mhz - xxxx mv

The voltages for the above additional clocks are purely approximated values. So you can either undervolt or overvolt it as per your need.

Sample screenshot of stweaks gpu interface
screenshot2012080821355.png
89778689.png

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Siyah Kernel 1.5 beta 6 or higher
2. Stweaks
3. GLbenchmark 2.5(Egypt Classic and Egypt HD)
4. Basemark ES 2.0 Taiji
5. Nenamark

Testing methods and procedure:

Step 1:

Install siyah kernel and other mentioned apps and get used to stweaks.

Step 2:

Select the gpu frequency in stweaks along with the recommended voltage and apply the settings.

Step 3:

Open the above mentioned benchmark suits and run it.. if you feel any stuttering or artifacts when running the benchmark then you need some more voltage. Exit the suite and increase the voltage in stweaks by + 25 and restart the benchmark.

(** Egypt HD benchmark does stutters with currently all the mobile available in this world as the test is designed to stress the GPU to its maximum.)

Step 4:

Repeat step 2 and 3 if you need underclock/undervolt your GPU.

Notes :

* Though there are many available frequencies to choose from i would recommend not to use 54 and 800 mhz.
* Make your GPU steppings gradual (Eg : 1xx-2xx-3xx-4xx-5xx)
* If you feel your device warm let the device cool before testing.
* You can monitor your gpu frequencies in real time by using a tool called mali gpu status(caution: do not use these apps when benchmarking as it will degrade your result)
* Dont use any onscreen overlay apps like cool tool as it will degrade your benchmark scores.

Some benchmark results :

51611001.png

Below is the result comparison of basemark 2.0 (mobile with hd screens). Stock s3 gpu scores around 38 fps.

topwe.png

Here is the result achieved with max gpu clock of 700 mhz. It simply smashes all the records.

33440197.png

Last edited:

araje

Mar 22, 2006
Phoenix, US
Interesting

Thanks, Bala - though I have tried doing this for my S before, I havent seen the need yet to do this for S3.
Having said that, if you have the right OC, UV combinatons that worked for you - do you mind sharing them. That will be the best use of this thread. ;)

Reactions: bala_gamer

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
Thanks, Bala - though I have tried doing this for my S before, I havent seen the need yet to do this for S3.
Having said that, if you have the right OC, UV combinatons that worked for you - do you mind sharing them. That will be the best use of this thread. ;)

My settings is always there in my sig mate

《tapatalked from galaxy s3》

RazielSasy

Jul 6, 2012
We are waiting forse gpu guide
Unfortunately my cpu is unstable with high undervolt, i set it to -50 and works great w/o overclock i think it's useless
Omega 11.1 and siyah kernel 1.5beta6

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

bala_gamer

Recognized Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Madurai-Chennai
Xiaomi 13
Xiaomi 13 Pro
We are waiting forse gpu guide
Unfortunately my cpu is unstable with high undervolt, i set it to -50 and works great w/o overclock i think it's useless
Omega 11.1 and siyah kernel 1.5beta6

Give the cpu voltage settings in my sig a try, to be in the safer side always start with +25mv from my signature

Reactions: RazielSasy

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
whenever I opens an app cpu reaches its Max frequency stage then come down,
is cpu acts like this normal??

It depends on the app its not an strange act, if the app requires a lot of cpu usage it will stay longer on the max frequency, if you dont like that you can always try an lazy cpu scaling governor (controls the behaviour of the cpu) ;)

Edit: lol bala gamer was earlier np xd

Last edited:

Geo1997

Mar 30, 2012
twitter.com
I try CPU : 1500mhz -50mV
GPU : 266 - 350 - 440 - 533 - 600 with mv 875 - 925 - 975 - 1025 - 1075

Nenamark2 : 54,2
Basemark Taiji : 40,48

It's a little low... ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Only for international s3 variant
    Disclaimer: Im not responsible if something funny happens to your device ;) Read the guide as much as you want before proceeding with overclocking
    Overclocking and undervolting is highly debatable, some say its good and some say its bad... so its upto you to proceed further
    First rule of overclocking.. Your Mileage May Vary

Most of the people here in xda do know about overclocking and stuffs but still there are many who are so eager to overclock their beast . Hence this guide.

I have given some good info below about these stuffs as far as i can , you can always use google to get further details.

What is overclocking?

Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the specified clock frequency by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters. One of the most important techniques is running at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second; hence the name "overclocking")
    Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable.

Advantage:

You can get more performance from your chipset, though s3 is already fast you can see the visible changes in application execution time and much more like instant response time.

Disadvantage:

* Overclocking is always risky if something is configured improperly and may also result in permanent damage of your hardware. As long as it is done safely you are good to go.
    * You may see some increased power consumption.
    * Extreme overclocking might kill your hardware.

Undervolting :

The process where you provide less voltage to your cpu rather than the stock voltage.

Advantage:

* Reduced heat from your device.
    * Good battery life.

Disadvantage:

* Extreme undervolting will make your device unstable and some times even end up with a boot loop.

Dividing the guide into 2 parts CPU and GPU

CPU

The max clock that can be used on our s3 is 1800mhz and the minimum is 100 mhz. Below given is the stock voltage for all clocks for your reference.

1800mhz : 1450mv
    1700mhz : 1400mv
    1600mhz : 1350mv
    1500mhz : 1325mv
    1400mhz : 1275mv
    1300mhz : 1238mv
    1200mhz : 1175mv
    1100mhz : 1125mv
    1000mhz : 1088mv
    900mhz : 1050mv
    800mhz : 1000mv
    700mhz : 975mv
    600mhz : 963mv
    500mhz : 938mv
    400mhz : 925mv
    300mhz : 900mv
    200mhz : 900mv
    100mhz : 900mv

Requirements:

1. Kernel with overclocking support.
    2. ns tools to change frequency/voltage.(you can use the app of your choice here).
    3. set cpu and stability test to test the stability of CPU.
    4. Some patience.

Step 1:
    Set the current clock you want to test via ns tools. (Select max frequency in cpu tab).
    Step 2:
    Open set cpu's cpu stress test and run it for atleast 10 minutes. If you didnt get any errors on those 10 minutes and the test completed successfully then the clock is ready for daily use
    Step 3:
    Now for undervolting use the same ns tools and reduce the voltage by -25mv.
    Repeat step 2.
    you can reduce the voltage further by -25 mv after the completion of stress test until the app become unstable. (Advanced users can try reducing -50mv )
    Step 4:
    Repeat step 1,2 and 3 for every possible cpu clock you see in ns tools.

Note the stable cpu voltage for every clock, once you finish testing all your clock values save it as a profile in nstools and set it on boot.
    Voila !!! now you have finished overclocking/ under voting your beast :) The very same guide can be used to underclock you cpu.

Notes:

1. Not all chips are capable of running at higher speeds like 1800 mhz. Those speeds are highly experimental.
    2. Recomended max overclocking is 1600 mhz.
    3. If your device gets hotter allow the device to cool for few minutes before starting the test.
    4. Combining the overclocking and undervolting will give you the best of both the worlds :)

In case of emergency:

1. If your device becomes unstable and not responsive either press the power button until your device restarts or pull out your battery.
    2. If you end up with the boot loop due to extreme undervoltage below is the cwm flashable to reset your voltage.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?e7rk8cu3gw8usqj

Though quadrant is comletely outdated and is not recommended am just adding this screenshot to show the potential of overclocking :) the below screenshot is tested with 1600mhz(checkrom 3.5 +siyah)
    screenshot2012071115442.png

*********************Do note me if any information is incomplete or wrong :p ill change it.*******************************

Credits :

* wikipedia
    * xda and its amazing developers for their work on the kernels.
    * ultimate kernel cleaning script (@buster041284 ).... have edited the cwm zip to wipe init.d
    GPU OVERCLOCKING

DIsclaimer :

*** I dunno if any other kernels support the very same overclocking , if it is possible kindly inform me ill update it in the post.

*** Using custom kernel or siyah kernel is purely of your choice, im not held responsible if something goes wrong

I would say GPU is by far the weakest hardware in s3, its weak in the sense that its using the very same architecture used for galaxy s2 with some additional improvements to clock it higher. Thanks to the head room given, though the maximum clock for our GPU is 440 Mhz we can over clock it to around 700 Mhz which is roughly 70% more than the stock. Yes it is possible. Thanks to our developer "gokhanmoral" who made it possible.

Advantage:

* Games can be made to run more smoother.
    * Much smoother UI.

By default stock mali 400 GPU has 4 steppings , its clock frequencies are as follows

160 Mhz - 875 mv
    266 Mhz - 900 mv
    350 Mhz - 950 mv
    440 Mhz - 1025 mv

Once you install siyah you will be having an additional GPU stepping(totally 5) along with the following available frequencies to choose from.

54 Mhz
    108 Mhz
    160 Mhz
    266 Mhz
    275 Mhz
    300 Mhz
    333 Mhz
    350 Mhz
    440 Mhz
    533 Mhz - 1025 mv
    600 Mhz - 1050 mv
    640 Mhz - 1050 mv
    666 Mhz - 1075 mv
    700 Mhz - 1100 mv
    800 Mhz - xxxx mv

The voltages for the above additional clocks are purely approximated values. So you can either undervolt or overvolt it as per your need.

Sample screenshot of stweaks gpu interface
    screenshot2012080821355.png
    89778689.png

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Siyah Kernel 1.5 beta 6 or higher
    2. Stweaks
    3. GLbenchmark 2.5(Egypt Classic and Egypt HD)
    4. Basemark ES 2.0 Taiji
    5. Nenamark

Testing methods and procedure:

Step 1:

Install siyah kernel and other mentioned apps and get used to stweaks.

Step 2:

Select the gpu frequency in stweaks along with the recommended voltage and apply the settings.

Step 3:

Open the above mentioned benchmark suits and run it.. if you feel any stuttering or artifacts when running the benchmark then you need some more voltage. Exit the suite and increase the voltage in stweaks by + 25 and restart the benchmark.

(** Egypt HD benchmark does stutters with currently all the mobile available in this world as the test is designed to stress the GPU to its maximum.)

Step 4:

Repeat step 2 and 3 if you need underclock/undervolt your GPU.

Notes :

* Though there are many available frequencies to choose from i would recommend not to use 54 and 800 mhz.
    * Make your GPU steppings gradual (Eg : 1xx-2xx-3xx-4xx-5xx)
    * If you feel your device warm let the device cool before testing.
    * You can monitor your gpu frequencies in real time by using a tool called mali gpu status(caution: do not use these apps when benchmarking as it will degrade your result)
    * Dont use any onscreen overlay apps like cool tool as it will degrade your benchmark scores.

Some benchmark results :

51611001.png

Below is the result comparison of basemark 2.0 (mobile with hd screens). Stock s3 gpu scores around 38 fps.

topwe.png

Here is the result achieved with max gpu clock of 700 mhz. It simply smashes all the records.

33440197.png
    Just my 2 cents :)

- Device: GT-I9300 (Galaxy S3 International)
    - ROM: CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightlies
    - Kernel: Siyah Kernel (1.9.1 at the time of this post).
    - ASV4 CPU

Governor: lulzactiveq
    I/O Scheduler: row
    min. freq.: 200
    max. freq.: 1600

Voltages for each CPU Step

1600 MHz --- 1275 mV
    1500 MHz --- 1225 mV
    1400 MHz --- 1187,5 mV
    1300 MHz --- 1137,5 mV
    1200 MHz --- 1087,5 mV
    1100 MHz --- 1037,5 mV
    1000 MHz --- 987,5 mV
    900 MHz --- 937,5 mV
    800 MHz --- 887,5 mV
    700 MHz --- 862,5 mV
    600 MHz --- 850 mV
    500 MHz --- 837,5 mV
    400 MHz --- 837,5 mV
    300 MHz --- 812,5 mV
    200 MHz --- 787,5 mV

Now the GPU:

Step 1 ---> 266 MHz @ 875 mV
    Step 2 ---> 350 MHz @ 925 mV
    Step 3 ---> 440 MHz @ 975 mV
    Step 4 ---> 533 MHz @ 1025 mV
    Step 5 ---> 640 MHz @ 1050 mV

Thresholds unmodified.

My settings is always there in my sig mate

misleading OP

no, you misunderstand. the ASV level is like a measurement of your chip quality. In the first post of this thread where you have given a listing of "the stock voltage for all clocks for your reference", all you've actually done is list the stock voltage for an ASV6 level chip. This is only useful to other people with ASV6 chips. For example my chip is an ASV3 chip, and these values would not be stock for me, they'd be undervolted from stock. If someone with an ASV7 chip used your values, they'd be over volting their chip.

Please either:
    • get rid of this "reference" set of voltages,
    • make it clear that these voltages are for an ASV6 level chip, or
    • put down all the ASV level chip voltages and show people how to find out their level (note: to find out your chip level you will usually look at the stock voltages of your chip, making your reference redundant).

ASV chip level reference (thanks to AndreiLux): https://github.com/AndreiLux/Perseus-S3/blob/master/arch/arm/mach-exynos/cpufreq-4x12.c#L377