[Q] Do I have a knock-off KF 2?

Search This thread

4evernoob?

Feb 22, 2013
I was given a Kindle Fire 2 to play around with, as it fails to activate with Amazon. I stupidly mentioned that it might be possible to turn it into an Android tablet or at least root it and now it's my job to do so. I'm usually good at researching & following technical instructions, but even before I begin I'm befuddled by not seeing the "enable dab" option in Settings/Security. There are 3 option showing: Lock Screen Password, Credential Storage & Device Administrators. I've successfully connected it my WiFi & can surf websites, but that's about all. the System Version is "6.3.1_user_4107720".

Anyone have any ideas, comments or suggestions?

Btw, I don't think there's any possibility of getting help from Amazon, as this was a throw-in as part of a large tech purchase (mostly Apple stuff). Maybe someone was trying to dispose of a stolen unit. If that's the case is there any danger in using it?

4evernoob?

Feb 22, 2013
6.3.1?

That doesn't sound like the correct version for it to be a kindle fire 2 considering the current version is 10.2.6

Is it a kf HD OR something else? Or a first edition kf?
--
Sent from my Kindle Fire 2, CM 10.1

Well, it does have 8 gb storage and no card slot, so I thought it must be a KF2. It's beginning to seem like it's a fake, huh?

4evernoob?

Feb 22, 2013
It's a real Kindle Fire, just not a Kindle Fire 2.

Sent from my KFHD 8.9 using Tapatalk 2

You are correct, it's a first generation Fire, so I think that means ADB is enabled by default. I will now follow the steps to root the original KF & see how that goes. At least now I know which sub-forum to look in for help.

Btw, I actually found confirmation over at Amazon's Kindle Fire forum - "Kindle Fire - Which do I have?" One of the answers gave this very helpful info:
Kindle Fire HD 8.9" Version: 8.x.x
Kindle Fire HD 7" Version: 7.x.x
Kindle Fire (2nd Generation) Version: 10.x.x
Kindle Fire (1st Generation) Version: 6.x.x
Kindle Paperwhite Version: 5.x.x
Kindle Version: 4.x.x
Kindle Touch 5.x.x
Kindle Keyboard Version: 3.x
Kindle (2nd Generation) and Kindle DX Version: 2.x
Kindle (1st Generation) Version: 1.x

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's a real Kindle Fire, just not a Kindle Fire 2.

Sent from my KFHD 8.9 using Tapatalk 2