[Q] Unable to charge

Search This thread

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
My HTC One stopped charging.

I am unsure what is wrong, but it will not charge from the wall, USB, and Power bank.

What is bizarre is that USB OTG is still functioning properly. I was able to back everything up using OTG before it ran out of battery.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Edit: So it turns out, it will charge when it is turned off, but very very slowly.
when i charge it while its off, the charging LED cycles from red to orange and then it turns off (which triggers the charging animation).

Last edited:

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
What Rom are you using. Are you using a custom kernal? I'm assuming you are using the stock charger that came with it?

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
What Rom are you using. Are you using a custom kernal? I'm assuming you are using the stock charger that came with it?

I'm currently on MaximusHD, with its supplied kernel.

I've tried all sorts of charger, and none of them will charge it while its on.

The odd thing is, i haven't changed any settings. So I don't think its related to me messing around with ROMs and such.

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
This is odd... fastboot from the bootloader is working fine.

On my mac side, 'fastboot devices' is seeing my htc one and is replying with the correct S/N. while still in the bootloader my htc one is being displayed as 'Android 1.0' under 'system information'.

I honestly don't know what is happening, and I am currently in the middle of my exam week, so I'll be digging a little bit deeper after I'm done with my exams.

I haven't found anyone with a similar symptom as me on xda yet... so if anyone's got any suggestions, please chip in.

Thanks.

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Sounds a bit odd. You said you tried different chargers. Did you try a different cable as well. You may have to try another Rom just to rule it out. Might be hardware related...

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
Sounds a bit odd. You said you tried different chargers. Did you try a different cable as well. You may have to try another Rom just to rule it out. Might be hardware related...

Yep, different cable as well.

Seems unrelated to the rom tho. As it will not charge in bootloader and or recovery.

I'm going to try to flash a different ROM when i'm done with my exams.

Also, would you think it would be safe for me to try and achieve s-off with only fastboot working? As i would need to remove the 'tempered' sign from the bootloader before bringing my phone to repair.

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Yes absolutely s off your phone to remove it. Rumrunner or Firewater should work on that. Personally I'm not sure if changing roms would make a difference but probably worth trying

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
Yes absolutely s off your phone to remove it. Rumrunner or Firewater should work on that. Personally I'm not sure if changing roms would make a difference but probably worth trying

Would Rumrunner or firewater still work? I currently cant establish any adb connection... but fastboot is working tho.

Edit: I looked into firewater, which seems to be 100% adb dependent. So I guess firewater wont work.

I'm not sure about rumrunner tho... it seems to indicate that it'll check for an adb connection... but im not sure if it utilizes adb.

Last edited:

Tewessarino

Jul 3, 2010
Mayer
I recently had the same problem running Android Revolution 62, i didnt plug in my phone overnight and it completely ran dead and wouldnt take a charge at all, all i basically had to do was plug it in to the wall charger for like 10 minutes and hold the volume up and power button for a few seconds and BOOM! the little battery icon popped up on the screen and i was all set.
One thing im wondering about though is do you have to somehow reset your battery stats after this happens ??

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
I recently had the same problem running Android Revolution 62, i didnt plug in my phone overnight and it completely ran dead and wouldnt take a charge at all, all i basically had to do was plug it in to the wall charger for like 10 minutes and hold the volume up and power button for a few seconds and BOOM! the little battery icon popped up on the screen and i was all set.
One thing im wondering about though is do you have to somehow reset your battery stats after this happens ??

Hey, thanks for the input.

My phone started having this issue on sunday. And i'm still able to use the device. The Issue i'm experiencing is that it will not charge while powered on, even in safe mode, bootloader, and or recovery. It just flat out won't charge. to make matters worse, fastboot is working fine in the bootloader, the pc is recognizing it. But as soon as i boot up, my PC and mac will not even recognize it. nothing is showing. The only time that its being recognized by the computer is when its in fastboot mode and for a few seconds while booting up, it'll be recognized as MTP device.

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Have you checked that the drivers are installed in device manager. If fastboot works it's likely a driver issue

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
Have you checked that the drivers are installed in device manager. If fastboot works it's likely a driver issue

To be honest with you, i'm not sure if the driver is working (mac user). But even if the driver is installed incorrectly, wouldn't windows device manager thing still pick it up as a generic device? and from my understanding, the phone should still charge even without the correct driver.

nateboi81

Jul 25, 2010
Melbourne
Not for charging I was talking more about getting adb working to s off your phone. I think you should probably send your phone back

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
Not for charging I was talking more about getting adb working to s off your phone. I think you should probably send your phone back

Well, the thing is, non of my computers are recognizing it via ADB (Macbook, Hackintosh, and Windows), so that pretty much rules out the driver issue. I am planning on sending it back, but I really should get rid of the UNLOCK and TEMPERED sign in hboot...

On another note, if i do bring it in for repairs, what approach should i take? Bring it in without any charge left and tell them it won't charge? or bring it in powered on, and use some other excuse (dead pixels, and or the purple tint) to get repaired?

g2525

Apr 12, 2013
Hong Kong
Also, i've noticed that when I'm charging it while its off, the whole phone would heat up quite a bit (similar to medium/ heavy usage temperature| my estimate would be 40-45 celsius). And it charges really slowly, I would say around 10-20% per hour, while it would make sense to charge slowly, the charger(s) are also heating up quite a bit as well, almost like they're supplying 800-900mA of current.