Nexus 5 Emergency Calls Only (EFS Maybe)

Search This thread

Soprono

Jan 9, 2012
Johanesburg
Hey Guys,

Iv been undergoing a very strange problem, I flashed manually the 4.4.3 update to my Nexus 5, the phone worked fine for about 2 days after the flash and then random-ally one morning decided to display "Emergency Calls Only', I can scan for mobile networks just fine but it will fail to register on any network, here is some debugging iv been doing:

• Select automatic registration, reboot
  • Switch off, remove sim, insert, boot
  • Flashed all modems available
  • Tried registering on different nework modes (3G, LTE, 2G)
  • Factory restore to 4.4.2

Corrupted EFS rulled out.

The same sim works just fine in other devices and I have ensured that the sim card pins are clean and fine. I cannot find a article related to this issue and what I have been reading is that it could be related to a corrupted EFS, what i dont understand is that does the EFS corrupt the IMEI number or is their anyway to confirm it is a corrupted IMEI number ? If so is their anyway to recover the EFS and just inject my IMEI number into the file and flash back ? Would the Nexus 5 PIT file help ? Or in the end would a google RMA device be a better choice ?

The RMA is difficult for me due to the fact that im in a unsopported county so would have to post it back, but i obviously need a phone so need to sort this out.

Last edited:

tangosierra_

Jul 1, 2012
Singapore
www.sgtrains.com
If you have corrupted efs your imei will be 0.

You can probably try for a rma, or take apart the phone to sell it for parts (everything except the motherboard). And no, you can't put the imei back yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Soprono

Jan 9, 2012
Johanesburg
Settings > About phone > Status

Does it show your IMEI?

If it shows a zero or multiple zeroes it might be a corrupt IMEI.

Okey then its not, IMEI is still valid, Phones IMEI is still the same, I have tested the IMEI aswell with my service provider and a paid for service on the net that indicates all is in order still.

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Sounds like an issue with the SIM card holder and/or connection of it to your motherboard. I know rma is difficult for you but that's probably your best option.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Soprono

Soprono

Jan 9, 2012
Johanesburg
Settings > About phone > Status

Does it show your IMEI?

If it shows a zero or multiple zeroes it might be a corrupt IMEI.

Sounds like an issue with the SIM card holder and/or connection of it to your motherboard. I know rma is difficult for you but that's probably your best option.

It would make some sense somewhat as recently after i updated i had dropped the phone from a small height, and that option has been playing on my mind ever since. What i cannot get is that the device still picks up a sim card when its inserted into the phone or will this still happen regardless? Iv practically ruled out everything, im getting a replacement phone tomorrow and Ill them log a call to google to get things moving with a RMA.

Another thread has suggested re-flashing the cache.img from the stock file, will this wipe everything or do you think it would be worth a try ?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
It would make some sense somewhat as recently after i updated i had dropped the phone from a small height, and that option has been playing on my mind ever since. What i cannot get is that the device still picks up a sim card when its inserted into the phone or will this still happen regardless? Iv practically ruled out everything, im getting a replacement phone tomorrow and Ill them log a call to google to get things moving with a RMA.

Another thread has suggested re-flashing the cache.img from the stock file, will this wipe everything or do you think it would be worth a try ?

It's worth a try to flash the cache. It will not wipe your device or anything.

Menish Pugalia

Feb 10, 2016
Emergency Calls Only (Purely motherboard fault) Substandard hardware

Emergency Calls Only, This is due to substandard nexus hardware quality, as around the world all nexus 5 phone owner face the same problem, google is silent on their fault, i will never buy nexus phone in future, faulty upgrade destroyed our phone hardware,

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Emergency Calls Only, This is due to substandard nexus hardware quality, as around the world all nexus 5 phone owner face the same problem, google is silent on their fault, i will never buy nexus phone in future, faulty upgrade destroyed our phone hardware,
    Are you a disappointed person or a spammer?
    Read the forum rules...