[Q] how can I update to kitkat manually?

Search This thread

falapt

Mar 23, 2014
Hi guys, I've searched a bit for this and couldn't find anything, so I thought it was because it's a bit of a noob question...

So yesterday I rooted my international exynos note 3 (sm n900) via CF auto-root. Everything worked fine. I was wondering if there was a way to update my phone to kitkat, since it's attached to a provided that hasn't released kitkat officially yet...
Or do I have to wait until it's released officially for my carrier, then unroot, update and reroot?

ejazcncr2

Mar 25, 2014
Hhow can I update to kitkat manually?

Hi guys, I've searched a bit for this and couldn't find anything, so I thought it was because it's a bit of a noob question...

So yesterday I rooted my international exynos note 3 (sm n900) via CF auto-root. Everything worked fine. I was wondering if there was a way to update my phone to kitkat, since it's attached to a provided that hasn't released kitkat officially yet...
Or do I have to wait until it's released officially for my carrier, then unroot, update and reroot?

The Android 4.4 overhaul has begun taking off to the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets far and wide. In any case if your tablet has yet to get the upgrade, then don't lose hope — we've got a brisk walkthrough that'll get you upgraded shortly, expecting you've got a little encounter with a charge line.
The process
1. Place the update .zip package from Google in the Android SDK/platform-tools folder on your computer, but do not unzip it.
2. On your Nexus, go to Settings > Development options and switch the toggle on. Then enable USB debugging under the "Debugging" menu group.
3. Power down your tablet
4. Start up the bootloader by holding down volume up, volume down and power on your tablet.
5. When the menu loads, plug your Nexus into your computer.
6. Use the volume up/down keys to navigate to "Recovery mode", then press the power button.
7. When the Android with the red exclamation point appears, hold down power first, followed quickly by volume up. You should now see the recovery menu.
8. Use the volume up/down keys to select "apply update from ADB," then press power to select it.
9. On your computer, open up a command prompt or terminal window.
10. Using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder
11. On Windows, type:
adb.exe sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>
... or on Mac, type:
./adb-mac sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>
... or on Linux, type:
./adb sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>
12. The update should begin installing. When it's done, select "reboot system now."
13. Enjoy some delicious KitKat

falapt

Mar 23, 2014
The Android 4.4 overhaul has begun taking off to the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 tablets far and wide. In any case if your tablet has yet to get the upgrade, then don't lose hope — we've got a brisk walkthrough that'll get you upgraded shortly, expecting you've got a little encounter with a charge line.
The process
1. Place the update .zip package from Google in the Android SDK/platform-tools folder on your computer, but do not unzip it.
2. On your Nexus, go to Settings > Development options and switch the toggle on. Then enable USB debugging under the "Debugging" menu group.
3. Power down your tablet
4. Start up the bootloader by holding down volume up, volume down and power on your tablet.
5. When the menu loads, plug your Nexus into your computer.
6. Use the volume up/down keys to navigate to "Recovery mode", then press the power button.
7. When the Android with the red exclamation point appears, hold down power first, followed quickly by volume up. You should now see the recovery menu.
8. Use the volume up/down keys to select "apply update from ADB," then press power to select it.
9. On your computer, open up a command prompt or terminal window.
10. Using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder
11. On Windows, type:
adb.exe sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>
... or on Mac, type:
./adb-mac sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>
... or on Linux, type:
./adb sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>
12. The update should begin installing. When it's done, select "reboot system now."
13. Enjoy some delicious KitKat

Okay, thanks for the quick reply!
It's a Samsung galaxy note 3 (phone/phablet) what I have, not sure it that matters in the process.

Also... this Android SDK/platform-tools folder. I don't have such folder, do I create it on the computer?
Does it matter which kind of update.zip package I download? (like it the model number matters).

Also, I asked about manual update because when I try to go ota it tells me that I can't do that, because the phone has been modified of something like that, which is because of root I assume.

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Okay, thanks for the quick reply!
It's a Samsung galaxy note 3 (phone/phablet) what I have, not sure it that matters in the process.

Also... this Android SDK/platform-tools folder. I don't have such folder, do I create it on the computer?
Does it matter which kind of update.zip package I download? (like it the model number matters).

Also, I asked about manual update because when I try to go ota it tells me that I can't do that, because the phone has been modified of something like that, which is because of root I assume.

Go to Sammobile or find a stock KK rom on here somewhere for your model... Put phone in download mode, flash Kitkat with ODIN - your choice but I flashed with 3.09. You might need to factory reset.... You can't go back to JB after this due to bootloaders...

Flash LATEST cf-autoroot for root....

Enjoy....

falapt

Mar 23, 2014
OK. Thanks a lot, just a few last questions...

I found kitkat firmware file for my model (SM-N900) on sammobile, country says India, does it matter? (I'm not ni India).
So I follow the instructions and then I need to root again after flashing kitkat on it? I'd like to keep root access...

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
OK. Thanks a lot, just a few last questions...

I found kitkat firmware file for my model (SM-N900) on sammobile, country says India, does it matter? (I'm not ni India).
So I follow the instructions and then I need to root again after flashing kitkat on it? I'd like to keep root access...

Go to the top where it says to check my firmware. It will give you the right firmware... Doesn't matter though however there may be some things that work in your region but not in indian rom... And vice versa...
You will need to re-root after. Make sure it is the latest cf-autoroot as using an older version won't work and will softbrick your phone - bootloops or hanging on Samsung logo...

cocoa_eve

Mar 19, 2013
Miami, FL
"adb sideload" stuck

I am an intermediate noob at this (whatever that means) so bare with me. Phone was purchased, second-handed w/root. I messed with root permissions which resulted in BRICK... stuck on Samsung logo when powered on. Tried to upload stock rom via sd card; too long and phone too hot. Now, doing adb sideload, got up to 67%, then it just sits there. Is there anything I may have to upload before the stock ROM, so that the process can go through easier? Please, please help!! Thank you.